Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording in a comedy club - experience required

Options
  • 04-03-2009 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience with this? Any advice to someone trying to get good quality footage given the lighting + sound setup off a comedy club.

Alternatively does anyone feel they would like to record a live comedy show in Dublin next week? It's a low budget small gig, but I'd like to try and have some decent footage of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

What camera are you using? Does it have an external mic socket?

An external mic would be crucial to get any decent sound quality.

What are you doing with the footage? Is it for the web, DVD or TV broadcast?

I have a couple of music videos to shoot next week but I would be happy to help you if the date of your gig doesn't clash with the jobs I have lined up.

PM me if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

You might consider 2 cameras - 1 long shot and one for more close up. I shot a similar type event a year back and managed to hook into their sound system with a wireless mic receiver. Did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

You certainly need to pay attention to sound.

Direct feed from the desk to your camera is ideal with a second mic for atmos/applause etc.

Failing that, mic up a speaker on the PA system.

A second camera on a wide angle can be a lifesaver and can add interest to your production.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, you need the mic, badly. I shot a music event in my school last year, using two miniDV cameras. Video wasnt bad, but by god do I need a cam with an external sound jack.

See example:

Advertisement