Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House rented

Options
  • 04-03-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Dunno if any one can help but here goes.
    About 6 months ago we rented my old family home to a polish couple but shortly afterwards she went back to poland leaving him alone in the house. he said he wanted to stay as he had a pretty good job but it was always a hassle getting rent off him.about 5 weeks ago he went to ground, wont answer phone and car hasnt been outside the house for a couple of weeks.
    today I went into the house and a lot of his stuff is there but nothing of any great value.
    Im in a desperate position as my wife lost her job and im down to 3day week and we also had to borrow to pay off the family members when our parents died so we basically have two mortgages.
    we need to rent the house but i dont know what to do about the situation
    any ideas would really be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

mikehn wrote: »
    Dunno if any one can help but here goes.
    About 6 months ago we rented my old family home to a polish couple but shortly afterwards she went back to poland leaving him alone in the house. he said he wanted to stay as he had a pretty good job but it was always a hassle getting rent off him.about 5 weeks ago he went to ground, wont answer phone and car hasnt been outside the house for a couple of weeks.
    today I went into the house and a lot of his stuff is there but nothing of any great value.
    Im in a desperate position as my wife lost her job and im down to 3day week and we also had to borrow to pay off the family members when our parents died so we basically have two mortgages.
    we need to rent the house but i dont know what to do about the situation
    any ideas would really be appreciated
    Thanks

Do you have a lease in place?

Does he have a set of keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mike - try asking in the Accomodation and Property forum - those guys really know their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

your wive should sign up for social welfare, i think you might be entitled to some too if you dont earn alot from the 3 days you work and i think they pay interest only on the mortgage for a while....get some info in the local social welfare office...i can imagine there are ALOT of people in the same situation as you

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi 3datamodem
    I have an agreement signed where he has to give 2 weeks notice of leaving etc and he does have keys, This is the first time that i have been in the house since end of dec and the doors were locked and no sign of keys having been retd through letter box.
    Thams mr e I will try that, i have often replied to posts but never put one up before so I am a bit of a newbie !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try the PRTB too, that's what the fee is for.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Thanks idunnotellme
    Yes we have signed on but the fact that we have this house is worrying as it may affect our entitlements.
    it is a bit unfair as we do not have a pension and our idea was to sell our home if our two kids wanted to go to college, pay off our mortgages and move into the old house so effictivley its a sort of pension plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Try the PRTB too, that's what the fee is for.

MC

Probably just a waste of time,

Are you sure he's not just upped sticks and gone back to Poland, This has happen to me a good few times in the last couple of years, he could of just left things he doesn't want behind. I'd clear out the house and get it on the market asap, might be best to report him to the Garda as missing to cover yourself and you should have his PPS number from the PRTB form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if you change the locks and he cannot get in you are in legal trouble, about 10 grands worth, it i am told.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mike,

First off, is the lease registered with the PRTB?

Second, you need to give him written notice that he is in arrears and that if he doesn't pay, that you will take measures to protect yourself, up to and including evicting him and suing him for any amounts due and costs incurred. You probably have to give him 14 days notice, so write immediately. Hand deliver it with a witness and send a second copy by registered post.
    EKRIUQ wrote: »
    might be best to report him to the Garda as missing
    I'm not sure if its Mike's position to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mikehn wrote: »
    im down to 3day week
    If you worked 5 days before, SW may be able to give you money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

You need to contact the PRTB urgently. If your tenant has moved back to Poland you still need to suss out what the legal situation with you removing his stuff is. They will tell you exactly what you have to do and it won't cost you a penny.

Advertisement