Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal pension - can you set one up completely independantly?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, I was thinking with the reckless behaviour of alot of banks and insurance companies in the recent few years, it might be an idea to start my own independant pension scheme, with just me in it. This would mean that I would have complete control of the assets, and I would still be able to benefit from the Tax reduction that goes with contributing to pensions.

How do I go about setting up my own pension, and ensuring that it is an approved pension scheme?

Please bear in mind that I'm not particularily worried about the risks involved from the point of view of not having them professionally managed.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I don't know your personal circumstances but a friend of mine wanted to take one of these out last year against my advice. he has just lost his job and lets just say that there are difficulties with what he set up. Personally I would get professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Brendanmc

Well I'm considering putting a little more aside, besides what I put aside anyway, and a pension is an ideal way to do that because of the Tax savings, even if you cant take it out until you are 65. What I'm thinking about is more of something small, and if it works out well, then I would expand it further.

So really I'm looking for the process of setting up a pension myself, perhaps like a pension trust, if anyone knows how to go about doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What exactly were you interested in investing in Brendan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Brendan you won't get revenue approval without a professional trustee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

He could go down the SSAP route, but that would be rather expensive to setup

• Advertisement
Advertisement