Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to freeze a pizza base?

• 04-03-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Anybody know... Is it ok to freeze a pizza base that has been made fresh with flour and fresh yeast to be used at a later date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Considering the dough has been made, and the yeast has done 'its thing', I'd say it would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paulcullen62

Thanks. Its may first time making one so i'm a bit clueless!I made two. put on in freezer. The one i cooked was really good! Do you know if there is much difference between using fresh yeast or the dry yeast in the packets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I made a pizza last night from dough that I froze about a month or so ago and it was lovely. So you should have no issue with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 allabouteve58

It sure is!! I do it a good bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Do you roll it out and par-cook it first before freezing?

Or just freeze the ball of dough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Paulcullen62

Rolled out in 12" circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I usually roll them out and freeze them - no par-cooking. I like them thin, so it'll cook easily from frozen in the oven.
    If I'm less organised I freeze the ball of dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thanks. Its may first time making one so i'm a bit clueless!I made two. put on in freezer. The one i cooked was really good! Do you know if there is much difference between using fresh yeast or the dry yeast in the packets?
    if you are going to make dough everyday then fresh yeast is best as you can simply grow it and use it as required. Have a look at sourdoughs. However, if you only make dough a few times a month then dried yeast is fine.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

muckety wrote: »
    Do you roll it out and par-cook it first before freezing?

Or just freeze the ball of dough?

I froze it in a ball, took it out the other morning before work and placed it in a stainless steel bowl rubbed with olive oil so the dough doesn't stick to it. By the time I was home from work it was good to go.

Advertisement