Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip off bagels

• 04-03-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

How can the difference be so great.

Bagels for sale in newry sainsburys £1.20 (converted to about 1.40 euros)

Same bagels in meath Supervalu 2.20 euros

I also tried to find something cheaper in supervalu than sainsburys and some eggs were the only cheaper item. Everthing else was way more expensive and Supervalu isn't even a british shop, so who is ripping off who?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hate bagels - wouldn't even buy em in Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

We'd be here all night comparing prices from Sainsburys to the ROI. Andrex toilet rolls €5.50 down there €9 up here. VO5 rework hair gel I use is €3.33, in ROI it's €6.30. The list is endless. There is one thing that compares in price - Pineapple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't know, I don't subscribe to the whole bagel phenomenon but one thing I have found to be more expensive when shopping down the North is bread...not always and usually only the branded stuff (Kingsmill, Ormo etc) but the differences can be as much as 25%.
    That said, a lot of sainsbury own brand bread/bakery stuff is usually much cheaper than the bakery stuf down here (across all the multiples).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't get bagels at all, they are more expensive than baps/soft donut shape rolls yet you pay more just to have the middle cut out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

They were also selling those bagels u are on about as buy 1 get one free a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

i don't get bagels at all, they are more expensive than baps/soft donut shape rolls yet you pay more just to have the middle cut out?

I think they've just been marketed as a high-fashion exotic bap with a hole in the middle for the frappachino people.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think they've just been marketed as a high-fashion exotic bap with a hole in the middle for the frappachino people.

Yup, made fashionable by the Sex and the City crowd.
    It's loike they're todally living in NYC when they eat them dorling, you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Wertz wrote: »
    Yup, made fashionable by the Sex and the City crowd.
    It's loike they're todally living in NYC when they eat them dorling, you know?

OMG!
    And they're incredibly high in calories as well so the dunces buying them mighnt have Sex and the City figures for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

This post wasn't about who likes or doesn't like bagels, it was about the price difference. Oh well.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    This post wasn't about who likes or doesn't like bagels, it was about the price difference. Oh well.

But don't you see the correlation? It's exactly the fact that the bagel is a food liked by the more upmarket shopper that has lead to it's ever increasing price, up 'til the point where people cop on that they're being fleeced and begin to question why it is glorified bread costs so much.
    You can apply this to a lot more items than just the humble bagel too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wertz wrote: »
    You can apply this to a lot more items than just the humble bagel too...
    Exactly, and even though people keep saying "it is only 30mins away", it is another country. When I looked in starbucks in China I think it was more expensive than here, yet you could get a slap up meal in a restaurant next door for the same price as a cappuccino. All the young highly rich people were going to starbucks.

Things can be be in more demand in other countries, perhaps in the UK they shift loads of bagels so they are cheaper due to economies of scale.

Advertisement