Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced into signing a lease?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just about to move into a 1 bed in Dundrum. Sorted out everything - sent over all my references and got the keys yesterday. I had already given the letting agent the deposit so yesterday I gave him the rent for the month.

So when I went in yesterday to give them the money and get the keys, your man says I have to sign the lease immediately. He had taken the money at this point and put it away and had handed me the keys, and basically put the lease in front of me with a pen and said - sign.

I refused as I wanted to read over it that night, and I would have sent it into him first thing the next day if I was happy.

he said I had to sign the lease then and there or he would take the keys back off me. VERY pushy. So I signed and now feel terrible. Everyone's telling me that they should always give you time to read over the lease before you sign.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

Have you read the lease in the meantime? Have you found anything in it that you are not happy about or is it broadly what you intended to agree to? If everything is in order then it was just bad manners that he made you hurry.

If I had been in that situation I would have sat down with the lease and read through it while HE waited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

You handed over the money before seeing the lease- that was your first err

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Personally, I'd of told him to go f*ck himself. Do you have a copy of the lease? If not, get one off him and read it. He might be legitamite and just wanted to get it over and done with, but you're better off makign sure you know what you've signed yourself into.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Kimia wrote: »
    he said I had to sign the lease then and there or he would take the keys back off me.

Just to understand this, did he insist you sign the lease without reading there and then? Could you not have read it in front of him there in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Yes he said that he would wait for me to read it and then sign it but I had to go back to work and it would have taken me ages to get through it all - I just didn't have the time to read it then and there - which was why I wanted to take it home and read it before signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You needed to stand up for yourself there - either read the lease in full before signing, or tell him you want to take it and read it that night before signing.

Never sign a legal document under duress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Kimia wrote: »
    Hi all

Just about to move into a 1 bed in Dundrum. Sorted out everything - sent over all my references and got the keys yesterday. I had already given the letting agent the deposit so yesterday I gave him the rent for the month.

So when I went in yesterday to give them the money and get the keys, your man says I have to sign the lease immediately. He had taken the money at this point and put it away and had handed me the keys, and basically put the lease in front of me with a pen and said - sign.

I refused as I wanted to read over it that night, and I would have sent it into him first thing the next day if I was happy.

he said I had to sign the lease then and there or he would take the keys back off me. VERY pushy. So I signed and now feel terrible. Everyone's telling me that they should always give you time to read over the lease before you sign.

What do you think?

Kimia it is standard practice not to allow the tenant to take possesion of a property before signing a lease... You could have handed him back the keys and collected them again the following day... The only thing is that no matter how bad the lease is.. The PRTB legally overrides the content of your lease so its not really worth the paper its printed on anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.. plus if you used a reputable agent then the lease is probably a standard one and is only their as a safe guard..

Advertisement