Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nifty fifty whats all the fuss?

• 04-03-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hi guys, i want to treat myself to a little pressie and have read a few complimets towards one of these nifty fifty lenses? what are the advantages of having one and more importantly what one should i get for my canon 30d? alternatively should i just get myself a half decent speed light as i only have the onboard flash at the moment?
    oh yeah the budget of the gift to myself is only around 100 euro :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

It's a fast, extremely sharp lens for very little money. Everyone should have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,509 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I believe the fuss is all about the spectacular value this lens represents. For example if you look at Canon lens on Jessops website and display by price, the 50mm 1.8 is £99 and the next cheapest lens is £169.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

There's a pretty good summary here from the FAQ, but in general, fast, sharp and light, an all round good investment:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Beautiful image quality, great bokeh, sharp, fast etc

For me, it's versatility is great. I have never had it on the camera and thought "damn, i wish i had something else".

And it cost peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

:pac: i love my nikon 50mm f1.4 G AF-S Lens :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,509 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Barname wrote: »
    :pac: i love my nikon 50mm f1.4 G AF-S Lens :pac::pac::pac:

Which costs three times the 50mm 1.8, I think we should stick to the 1.8 model since the OP says he has a budget of 100 euro.

But since we're here anyway, why is the 1.4 model so much more expensive, are the optics really 3x better - quality wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

okay, so the speedlite can wait for a while. anyone got a link to a trusted site where i can pick one up for my canon?
    thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

cant speek for the nikon

but the canon 1.4 is much better build and the autofocus is much much better, i see that as being worth the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Just got mine from Ian last week. Had it within 2days and the best thing about it? It fits in your pocket :)

Send Ian an email/pm.
    Enjoy!!

Or if you can't wait that long head to Gunns on Wexford St if your in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

stcstc wrote: »
    cant speek for the nikon

but the canon 1.4 is much better build and the autofocus is much much better, i see that as being worth the difference
    Even though I've not used the 1.4 and haven't had any focusing issues with my 1.8 I can see the argument on the auto-focus but is build quality *really* that important for 99% of users? Most photogs I know treat their camera equipment with kid gloves and if ya drop a lens it's going to break almost regardless of how much you've spent on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Dragan wrote: »
    Beautiful image quality, great bokeh, sharp, fast etc

While I'd agree it's a great lens for the money, the bokeh isn't up to much from what I've seen/read and the specular highlights are pretty nasty looking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've got the Nikon 1.8 and 1.4 versions on different cameras. It's my most used lens for a number of reasons:

1) it fits in my camera bag on my camera (my cam bag is BIG but stuffed with other lenses)

2) My Nikon 24-70 2.8 is being repaired since last October (don't ask!!!) and its what I've had to work with and don't miss the 24-70 at all!

3) Fast, sharp, great, quality, light, non-intrusive

4) the 1.8 versions are cheap as chips and awesome

5) I'm addicted to the 1.4's light falloff (but not how unsharp is can be at the edges at 1.4....well maybe a little!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

pete4130 wrote: »
    5) I'm addicted to the 1.4's light falloff (but not how unsharp is can be at the edges at 1.4....well maybe a little!)

thanks Pete, saved me typing.... :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

RichyX wrote: »
    While I'd agree it's a great lens for the money, the bokeh isn't up to much from what I've seen/read and the specular highlights are pretty nasty looking imo.

I don't know, i'm a big fan of the bokeh from the nifty fifty myself.

3327107882_d94ff3db63.jpg?v=0
    3316823322_a692530c67.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If your budget is only €100, I think that 50/1.8 is the best value for the money. I don't think you could get decent flash for that money. Just cut milk plastic bottle to soften light from built-in flash and you have TTL flash and excellent lens.

Advertisement