Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV with residency visa later

Options
  • 04-03-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i am thinking of heading to oz soon on a whv. i am an engineer and the demand for my services isnt very good in ireland at the moment. i would like to head over and kick back for a while, work in sh*ty jobs, drink, surf everyday, usual craic.
    anyways, lets say after ~9 months i want to stay and get my career going there. assuming i cant find an engineering job on the whv, is my only option the skilled migrant visa. i think my skills fit the bill for the smv. where does that leave me? would i have to come home to complete the visa application process? am i allowed to apply for this visa after having the whv? how much does the smv cost, roughly? anything else i should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

if you can't get a engineering job after 9months, they you surely wouldn't apply for a visa for this area??

there is sponsorship, but again you'd need a job

all your question are answered here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Think you need to think things clearly. Are you a recent grad or someone with a bit of expereice?

No, you will not get a job in OZ after 9 months on a WHV unless you believe in fairytales and magic beans.
    The only way back is sponsership (very very hard especially in todays climate) or Skilled visa. The skills migrant visa takes over a year to go through and costs a few thousand euros. Not something you just decide on over night. And of course you need those skills and experience in the job. It will be very hard for a grad with no experience to qualify.

As I said you need to think things clearly and stop listenting to pub talk IMO.

IMO there should be a new sticky on these issues as there these posts being asked everyday now. Maybe the mods can do one of these. Maybe it should be titled "The streets in OZ & NZ are not paved with gold"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

jank wrote: »
    Think you need to think things clearly. Are you a recent grad or someone with a bit of expereice?

No, you will not get a job in OZ after 9 months on a WHV unless you believe in fairytales and magic beans.
    The only way back is sponsership (very very hard especially in todays climate) or Skilled visa. The skills migrant visa takes over a year to go through and costs a few thousand euros. Not something you just decide on over night. And of course you need those skills and experience in the job. It will be very hard for a grad with no experience to qualify.

As I said you need to think things clearly and stop listenting to pub talk IMO.

IMO there should be a new sticky on these issues as there these posts being asked everyday now. Maybe the mods can do one of these. Maybe it should be titled "The streets in OZ & NZ are not paved with gold"

I was thinkinga bout stickying MAJDs thread on "what industries are booming down here" because her posts on not to expedct to get proper work on a WHV were very good.

It might be worth doing but maybe changing the thread title to make it more clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea anything like that will get my vote

Advertisement