Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Info on Golfs

Options
  • 04-03-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me out? I have driven fords (Fiesta and focus) for the past 7 years now, and need to move to a diesel engine, as I do a lot of mileague.......I was thinking of a 1.9 Golf, can anyone give me some advice? I would be buying a 2nd hander too, if anyone knows where I can get a good deal!!!:)

Thanks! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

How much are you spending? What years are you interested in? How many miles a year exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

Vagdrivers.net, for sale section has a few. Good choice of car, make sure go for the pd130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SuperFatCat

I am looking for a 2008, can afford about €8k and have a fiesta to trade in (worth anywhere between €9k and €12k, depending) I would be putting up about 40k km a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I am looking for a 2008, can afford about €8k and have a fiesta to trade in (worth anywhere between €9k and €12k, depending) I would be putting up about 40k km a year

You might consider a 2.0 TDI if you're looking at an '08 - you'll be paying tax on emissions so the extra capacity won't be an issue, and the 2.0 TDI is a superior engine to the (very good) 1.9.
    Power outputs are 140 BHP and around 170 BHP with a lot more torque than the 1.9.

I drive an '04 2.0 140 BHP with DSG gearbox (UK import), so I'm biased, but have a look at prices etc and see what you think.

Thats great, Thanks for that, I'll have another look at the 2.0L!

• Advertisement

you'll be paying well for a 2.0tdi. What year is the fiesta? What mileage? I honestly dont think you would get one for 17k on a trade in deal

you'll be paying well for a 2.0tdi. What year is the fiesta? What mileage? I honestly dont think you would get an 08 one for 17k on a trade in deal

EDIT-apologies for double reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP did you consider a Focus TDCi? They are alot cheaper than an equivilant Golf. 1.6 TDCi is also alot more refined and quieter than the old 1.9 TDi lump in the Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

the 1.9 TDI is a far more reliable engine....the 2.0 had a lot of teething prioblmes.
    And the 1.9 is way more economical to run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The VW 1.9TDI has been around for donkey's years, maybe longer. My brother has one and while it's fine and a strong engine, it's unrefined. If you're used to Focii, buy a diesel one. You'll get a fair bit more refinement for your €17k+.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Confab wrote: »
    The VW 1.9TDI has been around for donkey's years, maybe longer. My brother has one and while it's fine and a strong engine, it's unrefined. If you're used to Focii, buy a diesel one. You'll get a fair bit more refinement for your €17k+.

The focus sounds like a tractor as well .. don't know what your on about.

I drive a 1.9TDI, great for long distance driving and reliability.

craichoe wrote: »
    The focus sounds like a tractor as well .. don't know what your on about.

I drive a 1.9TDI, great for long distance driving and reliability.

The 1.8tdci is a bit rough but the 1.6 is way quieter than the 1.9tdi. In fairness though the only real downside of that engine is it being a bit rough. If you can live with a bit more noise you could do a lot worse. And with your budget its the one that will fit in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

People go on about the 1.9 being an old engine.

I really cant see the point of this. I have a 1.9 150 brake golf and i love it. I have driven the 2.0 skoda and yes, it was every bit as fast as mine (as much as I hate to admit it).

However the 1.9 has being around for so long for a reason, it has a fantastic reputation.

You should honestly look at the Octavia if you are not a badge snob. With the new model out you could pick up a pre-facelift model quite cheap now, esp if you could sell your own car before hand and go in with cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

slideways wrote: »
    People go on about the 1.9 being an old engine.

I really cant see the point of this.

Here, I'll explain.

Once upon a time, diesels were manky, loud and slow. Then VW invented the PD diesel, and they were just manky and loud.

Then Fiat developed the common rail diesel, and everyone bar VW had to use them, but VW didn't care because VW buyers have no clue.

Finally, when the red TDi turbo feckin' "eats Evos" crew got too embarrassin, VW gave in and paid Fiat to use common rail technology, but it magically became reliable when they stuck a VW badge on it!

OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Zube wrote: »
    Once upon a time, diesels were manky, loud and slow. Then VW invented the PD diesel, and they were just manky and loud.
    You see they aren't really that loud, but they are reliable. They dont crack heads, blow headgaskets, inhale turbos etc.

As a mechanic that is all i give a fcuk about really. I have always had VW, started out with non-turbo 1.6's. Now they were rattley and slow. The fact of the matter is no mechanic likes to work on his own car and I know an awful lot of mechanics who drive 1.9 diesels from VAG.
    Zube wrote: »
    Then Fiat developed the common rail diesel, and everyone bar VW had to use them, but VW didn't care because VW buyers have no clue.

Finally, when the red TDi turbo feckin' "eats Evos" crew got too embarrassin, VW gave in and paid Fiat to use common rail technology, but it magically became reliable when they stuck a VW badge on it!

See my point above was to stick with the old 1.9, it is a proven powerplant. It has served its time and in your eyes might be old hat, but it works and part of the problem with modern shyte that manufacturers are churning out is that it hasn't being proven and tested.

As for the red TDi gang... yeah they are over hyped but for a diesel they are quite impressive and few who have ever driven a diesel car on a long term basis can deny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You see they aren't really that loud, but they are reliable. They dont crack heads, blow headgaskets, inhale turbos etc.

As a mechanic that is all i give a fcuk about really. I have always had VW, started out with non-turbo 1.6's. Now they were rattley and slow. The fact of the matter is no mechanic likes to work on his own car and I know an awful lot of mechanics who drive 1.9 diesels from VAG.

See my point above was to stick with the old 1.9, it is a proven powerplant. It has served its time and in your eyes might be old hat, but it works and part of the problem with modern shyte that manufacturers are churning out is that it hasn't being proven and tested.

As for the red TDi gang... yeah they are over hyped but for a diesel they are quite impressive and few who have ever driven a diesel car on a long term basis can deny that.

They are loud. The Golf is well sound insulated, so the noise isn't as big an issue as it could be. They are also only impressive to someone who doesn't know any better. I remain unimpressed by the 8v 1.9 units. They are reliable though, not too many went belly up. But that's not to say other units are unreliable. Fiat's 1.9 is just as proven and around a while too. Peugeot are well able to make reliable diesels too, whatever the rest of the car might or might not have been like.
    So to sum up the OP won't go wrong with a Golf 1.9 if he doesn't care about power delivery and refinement, nor will he go wrong with the 1.6 diesel in the Focus. The Octavia is a good alternative to the Golf. Can't see the OP being able to get a 2 litre Golf for his budget, probably closer to 20k for one, and if I were spending 20k on a diesel hatchback it'd be hard to see past a brand new Impreza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I have always had VW, started out with non-turbo 1.6's. Now they were rattley and slow.

Bit like the PD diesels, so. No wonder VW changed to Fiat common rail tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The old TDi is a reliable unit but it has been around in one shape or form since around 1992. It is however course and unrefined by today's diesel standards. The competition has caught up and passed it out now for a few years, even VW are eventually realising this and are phasing it out with the introduction of a 1.6 TDi common rail unit.

Hey everyone,thanks for all the info,I have some time on my hands so I'll do a bit of research into those cars,except the octavia,too big for me! Thanks again!keep posting!!

If you're interested in the Golf, have a look at a Seat Leon also (It's a Golf with a different body). Drives the same but usually with more kit. Inside the plastics aren't as good as the Golf (not as much soft touch stuff) but everything works slickly with many parts shared. Mine has over 70k km and nothings broken off and feels solid as a rock.

The reason I bought mine was that it was (IMHO) better looking than the Golf and with more kit. Few pics of mine if you click on my profile thingy. Just an idea...

Also how about a civic 2.2 diesel? Really nice motors...

• Advertisement
Advertisement