Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 - Anyone had some money waived?

• 04-03-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭

Just looking to see if anyone's had a similar situation here.

Story goes, I signed up for 02 Mobile Broadband in August, 30 days free, that was grand. Modem was €20.

Used the thing in Galway on holiday, very lightly afetr that and then lost it just after the 30 days free were up. When I went to the shop, I was told a replacement was €200, so I told them where to go and left.

Got 3 bills between then an January, and paid none of them. Partly because I didn't want to, but maily because I had signed up for DIrect Debit which never ever happened even though they had the correct sort code etc, maybe half my mind thought they were statements not bills.

So anyway I get a letter from debt collectors last week so today I ring them up to be told my account has been cancelled and I owe €240.01 (12 months at €20/months, fair enough). I let them know what I though of this, and appealed to their common decency that maybe they might let me off some of the cash seeing as how I'd barely ever touched the service.

It didn't work :rolleyes: . Possible because of my language, maybe for the official reason which was "we'd have to do it for everyone".

So fair enough, I got stung - but my question is, anyone had similar and been let off the money, at least in part? Anyone agree that although I signed the contract, asking for the lot is a bit harsh in all fariness? I'm not hard-up for the cash (in fact, I'm sponging so technically I'm not paying for it at all); I don't want sympathy or anything - just a curiosity.

/rant

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Just looking to see if anyone's had a similar situation here.

Story goes, I signed up for 02 Mobile Broadband in August, 30 days free, that was grand. Modem was €20.

Used the thing in Galway on holiday, very lightly afetr that and then lost it just after the 30 days free were up. When I went to the shop, I was told a replacement was €200, so I told them where to go and left.

Got 3 bills between then an January, and paid none of them. Partly because I didn't want to, but maily because I had signed up for DIrect Debit which never ever happened even though they had the correct sort code etc, maybe half my mind thought they were statements not bills.

So anyway I get a letter from debt collectors last week so today I ring them up to be told my account has been cancelled and I owe €240.01 (12 months at €20/months, fair enough). I let them know what I though of this, and appealed to their common decency that maybe they might let me off some of the cash seeing as how I'd barely ever touched the service.

It didn't work :rolleyes: . Possible because of my language, maybe for the official reason which was "we'd have to do it for everyone".

So fair enough, I got stung - but my question is, anyone had similar and been let off the money, at least in part? Anyone agree that although I signed the contract, asking for the lot is a bit harsh in all fariness? I'm not hard-up for the cash (in fact, I'm sponging so technically I'm not paying for it at all); I don't want sympathy or anything - just a curiosity.

/rant

You didn't get stung. You signed up for a contract for 12 months. Its not o2's fault that you lost your modem and you made no effort to talk to them constructively when you did lose it. In short you behaved like an asshole (incl your own admission on language. Why should anyone treat you with common decency when apparently you have none yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Re. the contract - I know, just kind of thought if their customer service was any good they might have been nice about it. I was in the wrong and I don't deny that.
    dub45 wrote: »
    You didn't get stung. You signed up for a contract for 12 months. Its not o2's fault that you lost your modem and you made no effort to talk to them constructively when you did lose it.

Actually, I did - went to the shop and asked them quite nicely if there was any hope of getting out of the contract (this was just a week after the free period ended). Dunno but maybe they thought I was having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it hadn't been working for you, and you could show proof of that, then you may be able to get out of the contract. Just deciding not to pay for 3 months, and then asking them to waive the fees, was never going to cut it.

Advertisement