Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband 24Mbit capped at 7Mbit, although got confirmation 24Mbit is possible.

Options
  • 04-03-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I moved to Tallaght last September, into one of the new apartment blocks right next to the luas stop. When I saw the offer for 24Mbit Broadband from BT I rang them and asked if Broadband with 24Mbit is possible, cause if I would only get 7Mbit I would not be interested in it. After 5 weeks I got a letter that confirms that a 24Mbit line is possible in my apartment.
    So I signed up and after 3 months of massive amounts of trouble getting the actual line setup, sending me wrong invoices, sending the modem to the wrong address twice etc... today I finally got my internet up and running...BUT
    see for your self
    422816986.png

The speed is capped at 7Mbit. I know it says on their website if 24Mbit is not possible it will be 7Mbit. But I asked BT several times that I would only go with it if they can actually confirm that I will have a 24Mbit line, I got that even in a written letter that 24Mbit is possible. It also says on their website that Tallaght offers the 24Mbit line.

But the customer support just throws out the standard line:

*indian accent* Sorry Sir, but in the contract as well as on the website it says 24Mbit line is only possible in ceraint areas, everywhere else is 7Mbit. *indian accent off*

Anybody else got f*cked over by BT like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi,

I moved to Tallaght last September, into one of the new apartment blocks right next to the luas stop. When I saw the offer for 24Mbit Broadband from BT I rang them and asked if Broadband with 24Mbit is possible, cause if I would only get 7Mbit I would not be interested in it. After 5 weeks I got a letter that confirms that a 24Mbit line is possible in my apartment.
    So I signed up and after 3 months of massive amounts of trouble getting the actual line setup, sending me wrong invoices, sending the modem to the wrong address twice etc... today I finally got my internet up and running...BUT
    see for your self
    422816986.png

The speed is capped at 7Mbit. I know it says on their website if 24Mbit is not possible it will be 7Mbit. But I asked BT several times that I would only go with it if they can actually confirm that I will have a 24Mbit line, I got that even in a written letter that 24Mbit is possible. It also says on their website that Tallaght offers the 24Mbit line.

But the customer support just throws out the standard line:

*indian accent* Sorry Sir, but in the contract as well as on the website it says 24Mbit line is only possible in ceraint areas, everywhere else is 7Mbit. *indian accent off*

Anybody else got f*cked over by BT like this?

You could still be limited by line conditions, not something BT can control or guarantee. Post your line stats and we can advise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

What do you mean by line stats? Where do I find them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What do you mean by line stats? Where do I find them?

Your modem/routers interface should have a page of line stats (attenuation, SNR margin etc).

Okay found something I hope thats it.

74151.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

74151.JPG

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12282 2044
    SN Margin (dB) 14.20 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.00 15.50

Looks like BT have you limited as you SNR is much better than mine yet I can do 12Mbit easily.. and my line will do more though eircom only offer 12 at the moment

On top of that 8128 is the max speed for regular DSL. Even though your line profile appears to be adsl2+, it appears as though you are only allowed to connect at 8124. Your line could easily handle 18Mbit

• Advertisement

74151.JPG

Your line is capable of 15 meg max. Since you're also on ADSL2+, it means you're on an LLU exchange, but your sync rate is set for 8 megs. Check with BT to see exactly what package you're on, as it's not the 24 meg one at least.

So I hooked up my own modem, not the one that BT gave me and it seems the limit is now 15Mbit :D

423018580.png

Even on the router says:
    DownStream Connection Speed 20479 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 1019 kbps

Not sure if its router based, so that the router from BT has a built in limit, or maybe BT just changed the limit anyways. Would be a big coincidence though.

Advertisement