Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to capture information from a computer signal coming in over an analog

Options
  • 04-03-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Is it possible to capture information from a computer signal coming in over an analogue line? Easily?

Every week, one day a week, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday I receive an incoming call, it's a blocked number. When answered I receive an incoming fax sound. If answered or it got to the answering machine (before causing that it irreparable damage, it would attempt to sent two to four more times. Two weeks ago we put a facsimile machine on my line. The non number has called each week but the facsimile machine hasn't recognised it as a fax. We're baffled. We believe it might be a computer, trying to phone home. Eircom don't have the technology to block fax signals.

On two previous occasions when the non number came it it wiped the settings from the answering machine in my phone. Recently it damaged the phone to an extent the answering machine can't be set or play messages. The base station flickers constantly suggesting the phone has messages to play. - [I'm almost sure it wasn't the call from Liz at ISME that caused the recent damage:)]) It has been put forward that the incoming fax may have been caused some kind of electrical surge or as suggested by a lady on line :)"maybe what happened was that on some answering machines, you can call them yourself, interrupt them with the # key, enter a password & it will replay your messages. Perhaps the fax hit the right frequency to confuse the answering machine, and sent it a load of weird commands that fried its little brain?":)

In any case if it's not a fax, it may be a computer. Is it possible to capture information from a computer signal coming in over an analogue line? Without sophisticated equipment? The incoming call what is it? Where is it coming from? Can I stop it?

I'd like to avoid the option where I change my telephone number if possible. If it's eircoms computer checking the line (they're supposed to be monitoring it to discover the location of my 2 year old broadband fault) I don't think changing the number would solve the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Borrow/buy a cheap fax machine and stick it on the line for a few days. At least itll tell you if its a fax or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shrtdrk

Snaga wrote: »
    Borrow/buy a cheap fax machine and stick it on the line for a few days. At least itll tell you if its a fax or not.

Two weeks ago we put a facsimile machine on my line. The non number has called each week but the facsimile machine hasn't recognised it as a fax. We're baffled. We believe it might be a computer, trying to phone home. Eircom don't have the technology to block fax signals. It has annoyed my callers for two weeks, I took it off around 2.30pm this afternoon (Thursday 5th March).

The fax machine doesn't recognise the call as a fax at all just lets it screech through the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Sounds to me like someone is attempting to hi jack your modem.(to generate income from calling a premium number) ..It used to happen quite a bit in the past ..and was particularry effective with pc's using isdn modems as you never realised you were hi jacked cos you could still receive a call on the available channell..
    Your on broadband so you should be ok.. but just make sure your tel line is unplugged from the pc (from your previous dial up)
    It'll prob soon stop cos they not getting revenue..also Eircom should be able to track it

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shrtdrk

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Sounds to me like someone is attempting to hi jack your modem.(to generate income from calling a premium number) ..It used to happen quite a bit in the past ..and was particularry effective with pc's using isdn modems as you never realised you were hi jacked cos you could still receive a call on the available channell..
    Your on broadband so you should be ok.. but just make sure your tel line is unplugged from the pc (from your previous dial up)
    It'll prob soon stop cos they not getting revenue..also Eircom should be able to track it

I asked Eircom a few weeks ago apparently they don't have the technology to block faxes. This has been coming through for some time. That said thanks for the info it's another avenue of research. The dial up is gone barring the odd emergency when it has been pulled out of storage. Good to know the broadband is blocking to an extent so the voip phone might be protected if routed through the broadband router?

Advertisement