Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im Scared...

• 04-03-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Been talking about doing a RTW for the last like 3 years and it was never the right time, but i have bitten the bullet and booked my tickets - heading in May! Its only myself and my BF, staying in Asia for roughly 4 months, then Oz, NZ and South America.

But im really nervous....! Im a seasoned traveller but have always arranged my accommodation before i went and always stayed in good standard properties, im so nervous about the hostels we'll probably end up staying in.

Has anyone got tips? Lots of my friends have done trips like this but with 6 + people so could get dorms, with me and himself would we have to share with others? Im sure we could get a doubles with an extra premium?

Sorry for the ramble, bet yer all thinking im a wuss, but i am starting to get a lil freaked out :(

Any advice would be greatly apprectiated!!

Super SCARED Mouse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as long as you have plenty of money and a smile on your face (and a stocked backpack) .... you'll be fine !!!

Take plenty of pics and dont be afraid of going off the tourist trail and make your own journey - visit some towns/villages that you've never heard of, take tonnes of pics and record one of the best moment in your life.

Have fun and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Thank you PCPhoto :)

Maybe im just being a big fat girl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Part of the fun is finding how you deal with these things. You sound a little like my gf before we left to go away. You will have no probs getting budget accom while you are travelling - get a sim card for your cheapo mobile and gauge whether you might have to book for a double room in a hostel. You will most likely be talking to someone who speaks English. Alot of the time you can arrive and they will have a room, but this isn't always the case so the likes of high-season, weekends, festival times etc may mean calling ahead.

Generally the cost of a double room will be only slightly more than if you were to get two dorm beds, if you have no alternative but to take a dorm bed then it will feel even nicer when you have your own space in the next place you go! But coming from someone traveling with a partner,doubles are great for the likes of security of your stuff, not having lights turned on at 4 in the morning if your asleep, rustling plastic bags, snoring room mates, and the sheer privacy of it. This will all be worth the extra few quid.

Hope that helps, a bit long and drawn out as it is :3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

myself and my boyfriend are travelling at the moment. spent 3 months in asia. double rooms are all we stayed in while in asia. just as cheap as dorms, and hostels aren't very common, its mostly guesthouses. lonely planet guidebooks are very useful to find decent places to stay.
    australia is fine. although a hostel we stayed in kings cross sydney was probably the worst one we came accross. we hired a camper van and lived in that comfortably for two months. worked and lived in sydney for a while. in new zealand now, just staying in dorms and they are all good quality hostels. dorms work out quite cheap with the exchange rate.
    cant really speak for south america as we aren't going that way. but after all the travelling you will have done by then you'll have a much better idea of where you'll be staying, plus you will have spoken to loads of other travellers who can recommend places to go and stay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Part of the fun is finding how you deal with these things. You sound a little like my gf before we left to go away. You will have no probs getting budget accom while you are travelling - get a sim card for your cheapo mobile and gauge whether you might have to book for a double room in a hostel. You will most likely be talking to someone who speaks English. Alot of the time you can arrive and they will have a room, but this isn't always the case so the likes of high-season, weekends, festival times etc may mean calling ahead.

Generally the cost of a double room will be only slightly more than if you were to get two dorm beds, if you have no alternative but to take a dorm bed then it will feel even nicer when you have your own space in the next place you go! But coming from someone traveling with a partner,doubles are great for the likes of security of your stuff, not having lights turned on at 4 in the morning if your asleep, rustling plastic bags, snoring room mates, and the sheer privacy of it. This will all be worth the extra few quid.

Hope that helps, a bit long and drawn out as it is :3)

+1, especially with regard to getting doubles as opposed to dorms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

ah thanks for the reassurance guys! Getting so excited now, only a matter of weeks away!! YIPEEE!!

Advertisement