Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computers in Kevin St

Options
  • 04-03-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Seeing as I'm always complaining about them, I have to say I'm very happy about the new computers in the library in Kevin St that were put in today! Big 'oul widescreens on them! There's double sided printing as standard anymore too for 2c cheaper per page! :D Finally something not to be annoyed at in the library!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh that's what Kevin Street needs computer wise, widescreen monitors in the fecking library.

have a look at the other labs like 306/117 they are in dire need of attention, mice missing, lan cables missing, monitor cables missing etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Also could the engineers maybe just fix the issiues with the Core 2 Duo machines in A116 crashing on log off and possibly requiring a reboot to start up again :P Must be a crappy program or service causing this running on them as it doesn't appear to happen the machines in 307/308. Also I think widescreen monitors are out of place in the library! May be better in a lab for people who wish to code rather than bebo etc (And I know I am guilty of this in labs too).
    Another rant, why does the notepad message still pop up, is it to difficult to code a small dialog box which may even timeout in VB, really annoying having to close that, Symantecs 4 years old database out of date, and not forgetting some stupid intel message that keeps poping up :pac:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

These types of problems can be resolved by lurking in the Solaris lab:pac:
    Much better than ssh'ing to an external *NIX box(cept maybe netsoc, which is useful)and that dreaded Cygwin enviroment in all other labs.
    Nice and quiet too...

it never is now seeing how they figured out to have a windows desktop on them.

have a look at the other labs like 306/117 they are in dire need of attention, mice missing, lan cables missing, monitor cables missing etc.

A117 seems pretty locked down for the non final year students lately.
    Surely they still can't be missing Lan cables ffs. Ever heard of cable ties/locks?

Whats far worse I think is the fact any joe average can walk off the street, plug his lappy
    into one of the access ports, and potentially wreck havoc on the network.
    Virii could be spread across the Windows domains pretty easilly this way.

You would think DIT could implement a policy where a specific range of MAC addresses are assigned to each switch port to stop this, like a home network.
    Even one of the Lecturer's in the school of Computing has mentioned this a few times:confused:

Ah, gotta love DIT:D

• Advertisement

Naikon wrote: »
    Surely they still can't be missing Lan cables ffs. Ever heard of cable ties/locks?

Whats far worse I think is the fact any joe average can walk off the street, plug his lappy
    into one of the access ports, and potentially wreck havoc on the network.
    Virii could be spread across the Windows domains pretty easilly this way.

You would think DIT could implement a policy where a specific range of MAC addresses are assigned to each switch port to stop this, like a home network.
    Even one of the Lecturer's in the school of Computing has mentioned this a few times:confused:

Ah, gotta love DIT:D
    the lab is missing cables, i frequent that lab quite regularly.

most of the equipment is locked to the back of the machine, whilst i can see why this is done it stupid in my book (well in a final year lab).

in dt2284 there's an 80% SDIS and 20% CSAA+Games.

now of those 80% of SDIS students around 70-80% are doing web based projects with an app server backend (apache/tomcat/jboss etc.) which if you've ever try to set up and use in a lab in kevin street is a pain in the bollocks.

tomcat takes 20 seconds to start up, if you write a servlet and compile it, you need to restart tomcat everytime a compile is made. so that's 30-40 seconds for every compile of something that takes milliseconds on my own machine.

the fact that 4th years don't have admin rights on any pc's in kevin street not even the final year labs (i bolded that for a reason ;)) means that anything installed has to be reinstalled on every log in. i use my laptop purely because developing in C with GTK+ is just way less head wrecking than windows

i often get this message:

"'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." when on windows :P

plus the machines are so fecking slow adds another reason why people have to use their laptops in that lab. A116 has much better computers yet final year labs which should be the priority labs are left to rot.

anywho's this has slightly deviated from the original topic :)

Interesting read there Cremo.
    Though I best keep on track:pac:

Widescreens in all the labs would be nice:)

Interesting read there Cremo.
    Though I best keep on track:pac:

Widescreens in all the labs would be nice:)
    pining for widescreens huh?

don't go out on work placement where they give you three monitors of desktop, going back to two at home was a pain never mind labs measly one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

A117 has ALWAYS been a final year lab. Since 2004 anyway. Other students are only allowed in there if you have a scheduled class in there.

And to the 1st year who said he was doing a "computer project for art sloan" (playing poker) in there yesterday I'm sorry i shouted at you but you deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I use A117 all the time. I just pretend to be a 4th year. One proper 4th year tried to get on one of the machines the other day because the lab was nearly full and I told him I was working on my 4th year project. I was actually browsing youtube.

Just use the labs anyway. 4th years have pretty much no authority.

• Advertisement

Ass wrote: »
    I use A117 all the time. I just pretend to be a 4th year. One proper 4th year tried to get on one of the machines the other day because the lab was nearly full and I told him I was working on my 4th year project. I was actually browsing youtube.

I'll be keeping an eye out for you.

EDIT: I just realized who you are. I liked your hair when it was longer.

EDIT 2: If people start thinking they can use A117 because of your post i'm coming after you...and your little dog to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Shock post fail.

orla wrote: »
    EDIT: I just realized who you are. I liked your hair when it was longer.
    shamone mo'fo!

:pac:

By the way, what's my little dog?

By the way, what's my little dog?

He's about 5'10, red hair, and answers to the same name as you.

orla wrote: »
    He's about 5'10, red hair, and answers to the same name as you.
    Ha ha. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

haha ouch , lol , Btw the way i never had a problem walking in and using the computers in A117 , same with my class , never knew it was a final year lab

Kenno90 wrote: »
    haha ouch , lol , Btw the way i never had a problem walking in and using the computers in A117 , same with my class , never knew it was a final year lab

Tbh in the four years I've been in DIT there has been a sign on the door saying final year only but the problem really stems from labs being scheduled in there.

Advertisement