Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The book you just couldn't put down

Options
  • 04-03-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

I know there are very similar threads about, but I thought this was a fairly precise book category.

So what book could you just not put down (or was a bit mentally painful when you did) & then you were horrified when you finished it and didn't know what to read next???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 A. Carruthers

Alexandr Solzhenitsyn 'Cancer Ward'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

James Patterson's "Kiss the Girls".
    Borrowed it off a mate once night because the tv was crap and he was raving about it.
    Started reading it and couldn't put it down...cue almigthy fight over who got to read the book that night :D I won but it cost me a week's dish washing for it.
    Well worth it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Jeffrey archer, 'as the crow flies' Read it all through one sleepless night. Archer is at his best with blockbusters...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I read pretty much non stop on a family holiday, and was constantly being given out to by my parents for ignoring everything about me but the book, while they had paid to cart me half way round the world! I still reread it every year, one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

Empress orchid - Anchee min
    I was absolutely captivated by this book. Once I started reading it, that was it. Every spar second I had I was reading this book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

The Magus by John Fowles was unputdownable. As was Perfume by Patrick Suskind. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami was read in about two days while glaring and shouting angrily at any who dared interrupt me! On Chesil Beach had a similar effect but luckily it was short so I only had to remove myself from the human race for a day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

"Seven steps to Eternity" by Stephen Turoff

and

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Seabold

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.
    Denerick wrote: »
    Jeffrey archer, 'as the crow flies' Read it all through one sleepless night. Archer is at his best with blockbusters...

I have this on my bookshelf, bought it in a charity shop as I'd never read any Archer before. Thanks to your recommendation Denerick, it's next on my list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

orangecake wrote: »
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami was read in about two days while glaring and shouting angrily at any who dared interrupt me!

I found this at home the other day (someone left it in the gaff) so will definitely give it a crack, thanks for the recommendation

[quote=Frowzy;59289056
    "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Seabold[/quote]

I'm reading "The Time Travellers Wife" by Audrey Neffenegger & absolutely love it - can't put it down. One of the reviews on the cover compares it to Lovely Bones so I'll probably get a copy of that soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ham on rye - Charles Bukowski

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

'The Book Thief' Markus Zusak
    'We Need to Talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver
    Both books by Khaled Hosseini 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

These are 4 books that I read that really afffected me and that even now, long after reading them, I still think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭cecilwinthorpe

UpCork wrote: »
    'The Book Thief' Markus Zusak
    'We Need to Talk about Kevin' Lionel Shriver
    Both books by Khaled Hosseini 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

These are 4 books that I read that really afffected me and that even now, long after reading them, I still think about.

I've just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and have just started We Need To Talk About Kevin and I have The Book Thief lined up for my next read :)

2 books that i couldnt put down were "My Sisters Keeper" and "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Must have been difficult not putting that one down, it weighs a ton!

I absolutely devoured The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I still get chills thinking of it.

A Quiet Vendetta by RJ Ellory

It's like Goodfellas, some sort of family movie, romance & Fidel Castro Cuba mixed together. Great book

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - an absolutely fantastic story and read. The Secret History by Donna Tartt was anoter book that you just can't help getting totally lost in.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Spares by Micheal Marshal Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

John wrote: »

I absolutely devoured The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I still get chills thinking of it.

I Read the road when I was heavily pregnant:eek::eek:. Must say I thought it was a great book.

I also loved "A thousand Splendid suns" and I think everyone should at sometime should read "the boy in the striped pyjamas."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

James Frey "A million little pieces" and "The beach" by Alex Garland are my 'fast food' literature that I couldn't put down.

Books you can't put down....
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/mar/17/robert-rankin-stephen-king

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 intermittentmay

The end of Mr. Y, by Scarlett Thomas. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Quality wrote: »
    I Read the road when I was heavily pregnant:eek::eek:.

:eek: indeed, THAT scene must have been really disturbing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 intermittentmay

paddyb125 wrote: »
    Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time:D

Absolutely wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

hatful wrote: »
    James Frey "A million little pieces" and "The beach" by Alex Garland are my 'fast food' literature that I couldn't put down.

Books you can't put down....
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/mar/17/robert-rankin-stephen-king

I found the same with the Beach, the chapters are short and I would always think to myself 'Just one more'.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

A long long way by Sebastian barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

The World According to Garp by John Irving.

The Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe.

The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

There are dozens, if not hundreds more, but these are a few that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brown.Eyed.Girl

Frowzy wrote: »
    "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold

I agree. I'm reading Almost Moon at the moment and I'm finding it a bit of a let down compared to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Memoirs of a Geisha.

Loved that book!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Memoirs of a Geisha.

Loved that book!

:)

Love it too. Bought it in galway before boarding the bus to dublin airport where I was flying off to amsterdam. Had the book read before I got to schiphol. It's funny: it's quite flawed but I still reach for it when I can't sleep

Advertisement