Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The book you just couldn't put down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.
    Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck (a memoir).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Totally spellbinding from start to finish. 800 odd pages and I wished there were 800 more after breezing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Dune has recently been sucking me in. Taking a break before starting book 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

The ones I could not put down until they were done were Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

After the end of the Cantos I had to take a break... First book was hard to get into but once you were in I could not get out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Zoli by Colum McCann
    Paris Interzone by James Campbell
    Death of a Blue Lantern by Christopher West
    Stick Out Your Tongue by Ma Jian
    Gold by Blaise Cendrars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, big book but wished it was twice as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Lots to choose from Legend by David Gemmell, All things are lights by Robert Shea , Azincourt bY Bernard cornwell, Eagle in the snow by Wallace Breem,etc,etc, but one that sticks in my mind and that I read 10 years ago was,

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

It's an dark ,adult version of "Pirates of the caribbean" on speed.
    Couldn't put it down,and missed the characters when it was finished.Still holds pride of place on my bookshelves

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. World Fantasy Award–winner Powers (Three Days to Never) demonstrates a precise control of complex narratives in this reprint of his rollicking and enchanting 1987 novel. Puppeteer John Chandagnac, bound for Jamaica to recover stolen money from his uncle, becomes Jack Shandy after pirates attack his ship and force him to join their crew. Shandy's struggle to accept his new life grounds the story for readers, even as Blackbeard and vodun magicians whisk everyone away to dreamlike lands where the Fountain of Youth itself awaits. The chaotic sea battles sing, though at times key events happen so quickly that they get lost in the shuffle as Jack tries to comprehend where he's going and what's at stake. This dark fantasy tale will appeal not just to pirate fans but also to anyone who appreciates Powers's talent for blending the most unlikely elements into a brilliantly cohesive whole. (Apr.)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Couldn't put down Blood Meridian recently, epic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Miracle in the Andes by Nando Parrado. The true story of survivors of a crashed plane in the mountains of the Andes. I'm sure most people have heard of this story and may have seen the film 'Alive' but this book is still a fantastic and at times horrific tale of courage and survival that may change your outlook on life. Made my daily train journeys fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

"The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. Its one of the few books that I needed to sit down in a quiet room after finishing it, an amazing book that really challenges you.

I agree with anyone who's recommended "the Time Travellers Wife". Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

A Quiet Belief in Angels by RJ Ellory, I was so into his story so I got 3 more of his books and sadly didnt feel any of them so far were as amazing to me as this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I usually read compulsively, like there's some pot of gold at the end. I'm finding the book I'm currently reading such hard going though - it just feels like rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

A Quiet Belief in Angels by RJ Ellory, I was so into his story so I got 3 more of his books and sadly didnt feel any of them so far were as amazing to me as this one!

I loved that one too. Try either Candlemoth (his first major one) or A Quiet Vendetta - I liked these ones the best from him. If you had to choose only one of those, then Candlemoth - I couldn't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Reading Revolutionary Road at the moment. It's a page turner so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

Mink wrote: »
    Reading Revolutionary Road at the moment. It's a page turner so far

Have that next on my bedside table. Can't wait to read it and have avoided watching the film until I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

The- Know -It- All
    > A.J Jacobs

Informative and entertaining ..... Laugh out loud funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

satcie101 wrote: »
    Cain and Abel

Demian - Herman Hesse check it out.... works around Cain and Abel story..... life changing book

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sleuthy

Reading 'Eat Pray Love' at the moment. Brilliant book...x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

kite runner was fantastic..didn't get off the train at cork till i finished it. was sitting in an empty train in the station for an hour and a half after the train had arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sleuthy

Read 'The Kite Runner' recently too. Totally amazing but very disturbing at the beginning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

2 books had me begging for more...

The Book Thief. Amazing story, beautifully written, and an ending I really didn't see coming...

... and Richard Hammond's books about his crash that he wrote with his wife, On the Edge.
    Both of their accounts of their experiences were just heartbreaking ,and the love portrayed and Mindy's strength was just inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Memoirs of a Geisha.

Loved that book!

:)

Agreed! I read it years ago but I remember not being able to leave it.

Also Catch 22, it was hard to get into at first because there are SO MANY characters but once I realised you just have to forget trying to remember everything (sounds difficult but is essential) you'll get through it. It made me laugh out loud a lot doesn't happen to me too often with books!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Lord of the Rings.

The Alchemist.

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman
    "Foley is good and th real world is faker than wrestling" by Mick Foley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

The first man by Albert Camus

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Cancer Ward. Sometimes it's schlocky but the grimmer parts are enthralling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

FruitLover wrote: »
    Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. It's a reasonably hefty tome, but I flew through it, and was still hungry for more by the end.

That's the one book I return to read when I've no new books to read.

Also can't recommend his latest book Anathem enough or the three Baroque Cycle books.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

The Book Thief and The Kite Runner were fantastic.

Also Westlife:Our Story:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

John wrote: »
    I absolutely devoured The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I still get chills thinking of it.
    I finished The Road sometime after 3am this morning :D Most definitely a page turner, I'm still not sure now much I liked the book though.
    Other page turners for me;
    The Bell Jar
    The Lovely Bones
    Revolutionary Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

UpCork wrote: »
    "Star of the Sea" by Joseph O' Connor

+1 Excellent read

Mine has to be Jane Eyre, merely because it's pure escapism into another world for hours on end!!

Advertisement