Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The book you just couldn't put down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

+1 Excellent read

Mine has to be Jane Eyre, merely because it's pure escapism into another world for hours on end!!
    charlotte wrote a few books one of which i loved was villette she reshaped autobiographical material into vivid narrative.but annes books are my first love her agnes grey and the tenant of wildfell hall,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I liked the road by Cormac McCarthy but I much preferred Child of God.

The forgotten soldier by Guy Sajer is also a great read.
    The Lord of the rings trilogy was also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I liked the road by Cormac McCarthy but I much preferred Child of God.

The forgotten soldier by Guy Sajer is also a great read.
    The Lord of the rings trilogy was also great.

The road was great, i flew through that. Whats Child of God like, I've read a few of McCarthys novels but not this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

thorbarry wrote: »
    The road was great, i flew through that. Whats Child of God like, I've read a few of McCarthys novels but not this one

Nothing like the Road. It's about a serial killer and his interaction with the world around him.

A bit hard going at times but worth sticking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Has anyone read 'A Fraction of a Whole' by Steve Toltz? Holy crap I'm only about 200 pages in but it's possibly the most entertaining book I've ever read!

It's extremely funny, witty, clever, insightful, makes you think, and has a great story so far. Just read the first 10-15 pages and you'll know you're in for something really special.

Seriously can't recommend this book highly enough, it's 700 pages long but I'm flying through, it dosn't feel laboured or overwritten in any way.

(As I said I'm only about a quarter of the way through it or maybe a bit more so it could take a nosedive but so far it's excellent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

getz wrote: »
    charlotte wrote a few books one of which i loved was villette she reshaped autobiographical material into vivid narrative.but annes books are my first love her agnes grey and the tenant of wildfell hall,

ya, Villette is on my shopping list this weekend in Waterstones... they really were a talented family the Brontes..

I got a present of the Tenant of Wildfell Hall on DVD, but I'm so slow to watch it until I read the book - it totally ruins your chance to develop characters in your head first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown.
    Couldn't get enough of it and read it in 1 day. I highly reccommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Just finished Tracey Emin's memoir-style Strangeland. I knew very little about her before hand but I flew through it, maybe because of the short chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Nearly all James patterson's :o
    Catcher in the rye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

Agree with Catcher in the Rye. I couldn't put that down when I read it.

The biggest page turner for me though has to be Ken Kesey's "Sometimes a great notion". I truly escaped into that book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    The Womans Daughter by Dermot Bolger
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Pretty much everything by Joe O'Connor (apart from his poems!)
    It by Stephen King
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding

I'll stop now - but seriously, there are so many!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ocianain

Lots to choose from Legend by David Gemmell, All things are lights by Robert Shea , Azincourt bY Bernard cornwell, Eagle in the snow by Wallace Breem,etc,etc, but one that sticks in my mind and that I read 10 years ago was,

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

It's an dark ,adult version of "Pirates of the caribbean" on speed.
    Couldn't put it down,and missed the characters when it was finished.Still holds pride of place on my bookshelves

From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. World Fantasy Award–winner Powers (Three Days to Never) demonstrates a precise control of complex narratives in this reprint of his rollicking and enchanting 1987 novel. Puppeteer John Chandagnac, bound for Jamaica to recover stolen money from his uncle, becomes Jack Shandy after pirates attack his ship and force him to join their crew. Shandy's struggle to accept his new life grounds the story for readers, even as Blackbeard and vodun magicians whisk everyone away to dreamlike lands where the Fountain of Youth itself awaits. The chaotic sea battles sing, though at times key events happen so quickly that they get lost in the shuffle as Jack tries to comprehend where he's going and what's at stake. This dark fantasy tale will appeal not just to pirate fans but also to anyone who appreciates Powers's talent for blending the most unlikely elements into a brilliantly cohesive whole. (Apr.)

Powers is an awesome writer OST is a great book, if you missed them see, The Drawing of the Dark (stout saves Christendom), The Annubis Gates and The Stress of Her Regard (see what really happened to Shelly in his boat). Couldn't put any of them down once I started them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Just finished The Honoured Society, The Sicilian Mafia Observed by Norman Lewis. Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VanishingLayla

Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)- Read it right through.

Digital Fortress (Dan Brown) was another one that I just had to finish once I started it.

I quite loved Catch-22 (Joseph Heller), also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tyrocks00

Harry Potter. Don't hate, it's a great series ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

tyrocks00 wrote: »
    Harry Potter. Don't hate, it's a great series ;)
    It is indeed :) I had to MAKE myself put any of these books down whenever I was reading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks which I've recently read was practically unputdownable. Wanting to read the next gruesome revelation & the pervading sense of impending doom kept the pages turning constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Harry Potter...serious page turners right there, how could you put it down! So many questions! Was a killer when you had to wait for the next books to be relased, thankfully for me, there were 4 books published when I got in to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

The New Testament... Ooohh I'm nearly finished... don't tell me how it ends...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Stephen King's The Stand.

Epic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Curnacrieve

Mink wrote: »
    I'm reading "The Time Travellers Wife" by Audrey Neffenegger & absolutely love it - can't put it down. One of the reviews on the cover compares it to Lovely Bones so I'll probably get a copy of that soon

Lovely Bones is a brilliant, brilliant book. I have read some of her other books but didn't compare. They were interesting stories and well written but I found them far more depressing and put me in a bad mood for days afterwards. Must try the Time Travellers Wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Xings

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude.
    I read this book again and again and again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Anthem

Perfume - Patrick Suskind.

Just compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Ken Follett - all his stuff i think is good but i especially liked "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End"

Stieg Larson - "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl who played with Fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The Prisoner of Zenda - Hope
    Fiesta - Hemingway

I must admit that all of Dan Brown's novels were total page-turners as well, a case of the content being interesting but the writing not worth ****...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 qwerty23

Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer

A brilliant story that runs through real world events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Book Thief.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

neil gaimens neverwhere and american gods,I nearly cryed :o when I finished reading them,I did'nt want them to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm loving Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris at the moment.

First book in the Sookie Stackhouse series (made into True Blood TV series). It's about vampires & murder mysteries in deep south (Louisiana). It's witty, gritty & a great page turner. Light read, don't really have to have your brain switched on full for it.

Advertisement