Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone beyond a Joke.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eagle eye wrote: »
    These are both from the op in that thread on the poker forum. The person he is talking to/about is not able to post on boards under his own name at the present time.

If you read the whole thread it seems like one big witch hunt with people getting involved and throwing their five cents worth in at every opportunity.

I advised the person who imo was being goaded and abused not to take up this challenge until such time as he received an apology form the op.

There were plenty of replies to my post and some of them were attacking me in some way, shape or form.

I have also pointed out that contrary to the op's suggestion that he did not have the money he has said he is willing to put the money up but under different conditions. Therefore he is saying he has the money but the op still has not apologised for accusing him of not having this money.

During the course of this thread I have had a moderator state this regarding my posts on boards. The following was his full reply while quoting something I said.

The op of this thread has been attacked from all angles since he first posted in the thread on the poker forum that is at issue here.

I believe this thread on the poker forum is an outright attack at a forum member from many other members who it is clear do not like this man who has been challenged. I don't think that this sort of flaming and bullying should be allowed on the poker forum.

I think that the thread in the poker forum should be shut.

For those that are anyways interested the quote from a mod is me. I have no issue saying that eagle_eye posts a lot of rubbish, and his posts in that thread particularly are ridiculous as a lot of other posters say. As a poster who happens to be a moderator, I am entitled to state that as a poster.

Also, eagle_eye, as pointed out in thread, holllaments is banned for a week for abuse. We have allowed him to post via pm to other users which can be published there which is more than fair. He does not seem to have an issue with it, so why does it distress you so?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,459 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

5starpool wrote: »
    For those that are anyways interested the quote from a mod is me. I have no issue saying that eagle_eye posts a lot of rubbish, and his posts in that thread particularly are ridiculous as a lot of other posters say. As a poster who happens to be a moderator, I am entitled to state that as a poster.

Also, eagle_eye, as pointed out in thread, holllaments is banned for a week for abuse. We have allowed him to post via pm to other users which can be published there which is more than fair. He does not seem to have an issue with it, so why does it distress you so?
    Firstly its eagle eye without the _.
    Secondly you have just insulted a huge portion of my posts in an attempt to discredit one post of mine. How many of my 4k+ posts have you read?

I would say not that many, most of them are in the soccer forum but there are also a large amount in boxing and American football, I've never seen you post in either of those forums.
    I've also posted quite a lot of poker but mainly in the bbv and the online sections. I used to post a bit in the HH section and sometimes in the main forum. So tell me how you can make such a broad sweeping statement about my posts?

OK, I'll change it to a large proportion of those that I have read. I read a lot of the posts you make in the liverpool thread, and it is mostly those and other soccer forum posts I am talking about.

Oh, and as someone pointed out before, you used to be mr flash so I will include all those that I read as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

I think Incognito has been dealt a bit of a raw deal here. The thread in question has been great for what it is and is entertaining but has run it's course. If the match goes ahead i'm sure there can post up a new thread giving details (and both sides have means of communicating with each other outside of the thread). If the match doesn't go ahead, people can draw their own conclusions. I dont really see what their is to be gained in keeping it open.

OK, I'll change it to a large proportion of those that I have read. I read a lot of the posts you make in the liverpool thread, and it is mostly those and other soccer forum posts I am talking about.

Oh, and as someone pointed out before, you used to be mr flash so I will include all those that I read as well.
    And thats in your opinion. You did not use imo in the poker thread. Thats abuse imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I have no issue saying that eagle_eye posts a lot of rubbish, and his posts in that thread particularly are ridiculous as a lot of other posters say. As a poster who happens to be a moderator, I am entitled to state that as a poster.

There is also a long standing tradition of attacking the post not the poster.

Eagle eyed point was that he was willing to put up the 30K as was stipulated, I personally thought this was a cop out but that's neither here nor there. You were the poster saying that those comments were ridiculous, for the record I agree with you, but as you say yourself as a poster you are entitled to opinions but your opinions incite mob rule at times as I believe has happened in this case.

I'd be interested to hear from an objective party so far I've been attacked by your forum members as being ignorant to the ways of the poker forum and jealous of the person I'm trying to defend. I think you are taking this thread as a personal attack as it's on your turf but it's outlived it's entertainment factor when a chap's personal washing is being aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

it's outlived it's entertainment factor when a chap's personal washing is being aired.

What are you taking about? It's already been explained to you that his blog is public, that most of the regular poker forum users would read it and that he links to it himself in his boards.ie signature. Furthermore, you are the only one interested in discussing the fact that his mother is ill, no one else on that thread even mentioned it. Not only are you failing to understand Holllament's blog posts correctly, you continue to fail to comprehend other posters explanations written in plain English.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And thats in your opinion. You did not use imo in the poker thread. Thats abuse imo.

lol. Are mods not allowed to have opinions now? Do I need to clarify that everything I type that is not a mod post is my opinion?

There is also a long standing tradition of attacking the post not the poster.

I'm saying his posts are largely rubbish. How is that not attacking the post? I explained why his earlier points were rubbish, yet he refused to see what nearly every other poster could see.

I don't actually know why I am replying to this really but meh, I likes a good drama.

I'm saying his posts are largely rubbish. How is that not attacking the post? I explained why his earlier points were rubbish, yet he refused to see what nearly every other poster could see.

I don't actually know why I am replying to this really but meh, I likes a good drama.
    Thats imo called attacking the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mr Quiet

I think Incognito has been dealt a bit of a raw deal here. The thread in question has been great for what it is and is entertaining but has run it's course. If the match goes ahead i'm sure there can post up a new thread giving details (and both sides have means of communicating with each other outside of the thread). If the match doesn't go ahead, people can draw their own conclusions. I dont really see what their is to be gained in keeping it open.

Reminds me of that time when some dude killed himself live on justin.tv and people got on their moral horses about everyone else who was just "looking in" and passing comments.

It is all good craic until some one loses a finger, or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Mr Quiet wrote: »
    Reminds me of that time when some dude killed himself live on justin.tv and people got on their moral horses about everyone else who was just "looking in" and passing comments.

I dont think you can compare a poker grudge match with someones suicide.

The thread is entertaining poker wise due to the personalities involved; just not sure what more the thread can offer ...if they are serious about getting the match on i'm sure they can do it via PM/msn/phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I'm willing to stake Holla the €30k if it means the OP will eat a shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I dont think you can compare a poker grudge match with someones suicide.

Very true, some poor guy who was craving attention, telling the world he was better than them... finally going to do it, noone would listen to the poor fellow...and then there was that body builder that topped himself. shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

LOL...

A thread where someone calls out another and lays down a challenge to play a High Stakes Poker grudge match, reminded you of a guy who publicly said he was going to commit suicide, then when he did in fact commit suicide publicly, the people watching just stood around laughing... yeah those 2 things are very similar... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ste05 wrote: »
    LOL...

A thread where someone calls out another and lays down a challenge to play a High Stakes Poker grudge match, reminded you of a guy who publicly said he was going to commit suicide, then when he did in fact commit suicide publicly, the people watching just stood around laughing... yeah those 2 things are very similar... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are you standing around laughing Ste?

Are you standing around laughing Ste?
    No, well I did have a little chuckle at your post though... :D

I presume I'm missing your point though...

Ste05 wrote: »
    No...(well I did have a little chuckle at your post though... :D)

Or maybe I'm missing the point...

You did.

Miss the point.

What goes on the net, stays for ever.

Have your fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have no idea what you're all talking about, the poker forum has way too much slang for me, I don't play cards, I have no idea what a freeroll or a balla is so it's all geek to me. Just like soccerball and it's onside rule. Plus, it's pretty tricky to pick out what's going on when people are arguing back and forth and rambling off on tangents.

Gordon wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're all talking about, the poker forum has way too much slang for me, I don't play cards, I have no idea what a freeroll or a balla is so it's all geek to me. Just like soccerball and it's onside rule. Plus, it's pretty tricky to pick out what's going on when people are arguing back and forth and rambling off on tangents.
    Well it's pretty much finished for now, so it's been locked as it's gone down the path most of those challenge threads go down, they really aren't anything all that unique in Poker forums, it's just a product of young people making alot of money playing a game and developing ego's to match, it probably just seemed very alien to people not used to the Online Poker Culture.

Here's a slightly bigger version of these type of challenges currently going on between a guy called Tom Dwan (22) who challenged anyone in the world to play him over 50,000 hands, if anyone was able to win at least $1 over those 50,000 hands he'd give them $1.5m if that person was down by more than $1 then they'd have to pay him $500,000.

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/durrrr-plays-full-tilt-pros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

50, thousand, hands of Hold'em?

how long is that meant to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

depends. playing four tables; about 100 hours or so.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

reminds me that I was supposed to play Hector Jelly in a heads up match for "charity" (on my side) some time ago. I'll play him for 30k jellybeans (provided they cost about .01 of a cent each :) ).

By the way, did you miss the bit where Holla posted that blog on his own blog, with his own mouse.

We arent nannies here, these are big boys and big boy rules apply. For what its worth, I've seen some of them play 200/400 where each HAND could easily reach 10k in the pot.... the numbers are insane to normal humans. Dont judge others by your standards.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

DeVore wrote: »
    For what its worth, I've seen some of them play 200/400 where each HAND could easily reach 10k in the pot....

but how much did they lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

but how much did they lose?
    You never hear about the loses...........

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well I was watching Dave Callaghan play so there wasnt much losing to report :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This whole thread is fooking gruesome.

It is the misery that this egomanical nonsense and belittling has online sites crawling to host it. Ugh.
    Great to see what is respected in poker.Egos and offensive baiting. Lovely.

So fooking what if Hollaments talks a big game or whatever-so does the rest of the country(ESPECIALLY all the "Baller" (stiffled sniggering) poker "pros" who live at home without any assets and without the brains to think of something to do with all this cash .

This Mob (including some I pretty suprised at tbh) BS about trying to ridicule him in public is repulsive (even if the guy is a goon/fraud/broke whatever-not suggesting this is the case WHO CARES) . If he cant play who gives a fook-30k might be big deal to him and with all due respect John he may not have the cushiony fall you may have.

The lack of humility on both sides is fooking grim and pretty pathetic IMO.

This is a cracking post and I couldn't have said it better myself. What's boggling is that the same mods and the ten post poker players that saw fit to come here and attack me all thanked this post. Just goes to show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is a cracking post and I couldn't have said it better myself. What's boggling is that the same mods and the ten post poker players that saw fit to come here and attack me all thanked this post. Just goes to show really.

Possibly because jbravado's post was sensible and well-constructed, and its clear he understands the issues.
    Whereas yours....

You're posts and jbravado's post were continents apart.

I'm not going to waste my time explaining how, but re-read my posts in this thread responding to you and you'll see how. Although I have a feeling you don't read posts completely.

• Advertisement

Jbravado knows exactly what he is talking about and has met one of the people involved on more than one occasion. His post is about the mentality of the people involved, which he clearly understand far better than you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement