Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And so it continues...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

jdivision wrote: »
    You'd wonder who some NFL players financial advisers are. This is very sad:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/03/mcallister.court.documents.ap/index.html
    Deuce McAllister has filed for bankruptcy

U gotta feel sorry for him unlike some multimillion sports stars who wasted their money and are left with nothing, at least he tried to invest his money and set up a business for himself.

I think its v good timing for him to file for bankruptcy cos it wipes his debts clean and wont affect the money he makes when/if he signs for a new team. (Although this is partly why the world's economy is so fcuked)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Feel sorry for them ? Good lord.

As someone who has worked around professional athletes in the States, please don't ever feel sorry for them. I have never seen a group of people earning so much money who live paycheque to paycheque.

Case in point. A certain professional basketball team drafts a 19 year old out of high school (granted I was 17 when I graduated as were all of my friends but whatta ya gonna do ?). The first person that shows up to meet up with him wasn't an financial advisor, attorney or agent ......it was a jeweler to put the 'big diamond studs' in his ears.

They spent millions on parting and hiring multiple personal assistants to set up these parties. They hire friends from 'da hood' to look after their assets (and you can guess where they end up)

Many of them end up knocking up multiple women, and then have to hide them from their trophy wives. They end up buying houses/condos and paying incredible sums of money in maintenance for these children.

Back in the 90s, every other professional athlete was setting up businesses, and they were all going to be music producers/fashion designers.

Can you name a single professional athlete from back then that is still in either of these businesses? (I may accept Micahel Jordan because he revoltionised the way professional athletes market themselves specifically what he did with Nike)

I know of several athletes who made close to $100 million in their careers and are now bankrupt.

Cry me a freakin' river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Surely to god Deuce McAllister is in a position to pay back his debts gradually?

I suppose he might have a problem getting signed with something like that over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Feel sorry for them ? Good lord.

As someone who has worked around professional athletes in the States, please don't ever feel sorry for them. I have never seen a group of people earning so much money who live paycheque to paycheque.

Case in point. A certain professional basketball team drafts a 19 year old out of high school (granted I was 17 when I graduated as were all of my friends but whatta ya gonna do ?). The first person that shows up to meet up with him wasn't an financial advisor, attorney or agent ......it was a jeweler to put the 'big diamond studs' in his ears.

They spent millions on parting and hiring multiple personal assistants to set up these parties. They hire friends from 'da hood' to look after their assets (and you can guess where they end up)

Many of them end up knocking up multiple women, and then have to hide them from their trophy wives. They end up buying houses/condos and paying incredible sums of money in maintenance for these children.

Back in the 90s, every other professional athlete was setting up businesses, and they were all going to be music producers/fashion designers.

Can you name a single professional athlete from back then that is still in either of these businesses? (I may accept Micahel Jordan because he revoltionised the way professional athletes market themselves specifically what he did with Nike)

I know of several athletes who made close to $100 million in their careers and are now bankrupt.

Cry me a freakin' river.

????This is what i said "U gotta feel sorry for him unlike some multimillion sports stars who wasted their money and are left with nothing, at least he tried to invest his money and set up a business for himself."

At least Deuce tried to invest his money in a car business and create a future for himself and his family outside of football not pissing it away on fancy cars, parties and houses (in hindsight he would just be in the same position now anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Hazys wrote: »
    ????This is what i said "U gotta feel sorry for him unlike some multimillion sports stars who wasted their money and are left with nothing, at least he tried to invest his money and set up a business for himself."

At least Deuce tried to invest his money in a car business and create a future for himself and his family outside of football not pissing it away on fancy cars, parties and houses (in hindsight he would just be in the same position now anyway).

Investing money in something that you have no clue about is the same as pissing it away.

He is not the first professional athlete to lose his shirt on a car dealership either. Scottie Pippen did the exact same thing a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Although i appreciate we are talking about exorbitant amounts of green, I think this is why we shouldn't judge NFL players for trying to cash in while they're hot, cos it is a very short career, especially for RB'S, and teams will definitely not hesitate in showing them the highway

and unfortunately for some, it can be a case of feast, then famine,

I grew up in Boston and went to school, and played football with, the type of kids who turn into these athletes. Growing up in low-income families and suddenyl exposed to huge amounts of cash whe they turn Pro or even hit college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

To be fair to him investing money in a car dealership in normal circumstances is smarter than the lads who set up their own record label for their mates who happen to think they are a talanted rapper. In the current economic climate many businesses which were run properly will go to the wall because credit lines from banks has gone to crap. His won't be the only car dealership to go down, look only at Ireland for an example, the motor industry is one of the most volatile in the current circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I have to agree with that, just because the guy is from a disadvantaged background doesn't mean that investing in a business that failed is throwing money away. He didn't waste his money, he took a risk, just like normal people do every day when they invest in their own businesses, and it didn't pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

At 30 years of age Travis Henry is a former NFL player and headed to jail.

Nine kids by nine different moms is staggering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/sports/football/12henry.html
    With Nine Mouths to Feed, Travis Henry Says He’s Broke
    By MIKE TIERNEY
    Published: March 11, 2009

ATLANTA — Travis Henry was rattling off his children’s ages, which range from 3 to 11. He paused and took a breath before finishing.

This was no simple task. Henry, 30, a former N.F.L. running back who played for three teams from 2001 to 2007, has nine children — each by a different mother, some born as closely as a few months apart.

Reports of Henry’s prolific procreating, generated by child-support disputes, have highlighted how futile the N.F.L.’s attempts can be at educating its players about making wise choices. The disputes have even eclipsed the attention he received after he was indicted on charges of cocaine trafficking.

“They’ve got my blood; I’ve got to deal with it,” Henry said of fiscal responsibilities to his children. He spoke by telephone from his Denver residence, where he was under house arrest until recently for the drug matter.

Henry had just returned from Atlanta, where a judge showed little sympathy for his predicament during a hearing and declined to lower monthly payments from $3,000 for a 4-year-old son.

Three days after the telephone interview, he was jailed for falling $16,600 behind on support for a youngster in Frostproof, Fla., his hometown.

“I love all my kids,” he said in the interview, but asserted he could not afford the designated amounts, estimated at $170,000 a year by Randy Kessler, his Atlanta lawyer. Kessler said Henry was virtually broke.

“I’ve lost everything in this mess I’ve gotten myself into,” Henry said.

12henry_190.JPG
    David Duprey/Associated Press
    Travis Henry owes $170,000 annually in support of his children, his lawyer estimated.

His eldest child was conceived while Henry was in high school, before he was named Mr. Florida Football and a Parade All-American. The child was unplanned as were all but one of his offspring, he said.

“I’m like, ‘Whoa, I’m going to be a dad,’ ” Henry recalled.

He was wed, at 19, to another of the nine mothers, who was six years older. Henry’s mother, who picked oranges for a living, disapproved.

“She was going crazy over it,” Henry said. He added that he filed for annulment within a year “for her.”

Two relationships while he attended the University of Tennessee produced two more children. Attending the annual N.F.L. rookie symposium as a 2001 draft pick of the Buffalo Bills, Henry watched a skit that dramatized the repercussions of imprudent sexual activity. It might as well have been geared toward him.

Henry laughed through the sketch. “I thought, ‘That ain’t ever going to happen to me,’ ” he said.

But it had, and it was just beginning.

Henry maintained that he was involved long-term with many of the mothers. Some, he said, told him they were using birth control, and he professed surprise at discovering they became pregnant by him.

“I did use protection at first,” he said. “Then they’d be saying they’d be on the pill. I was an idiot to trust them. Second or third time with them, I didn’t use it. Then, boom!”

In four instances, he attested, “I was trapped.” If not for his football cachet and accompanying wealth, “I guarantee you that wouldn’t have happened.”

“My counselor asks me, ‘How can you do the same thing over and over?’ ” he said, unable to provide an answer.

“Knock on wood, or something, I’m blessed not to have AIDS. That never crossed my mind.”

12henry.190.jpg
    Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
    Travis Henry owes $170,000 annually in support of his children, his lawyer estimated.

Henry declined to discuss aspects of his drug case. He was arrested last fall in Colorado with another man and has pleaded not guilty to charges that could net him 10 years to life in prison if convicted. The arraignment is scheduled for next month.

At the latest child-support hearing in Atlanta, Henry testified vaguely that sizable cash withdrawals were connected to his criminal matter, not to any conspicuous consumption for himself.

In an interview, Robert Wellon, the lawyer who represents the mother in Atlanta, Jameshia Beacham, characterized Henry as spending “like there was no tomorrow,” thus depriving the children of money.

The Denver Broncos gave Henry a five-year, $25 million contract in 2007. Cut last year by the team, which cited injuries and off-the-field commotion, he received only $6.7 million.

Piling on to the child-support issues, Henry failed an N.F.L. drug test. He successfully appealed, avoiding suspension, but faced another penalty from the league for what he said was missing subsequent test dates. Though Henry insisted his body has three more seasons in it, his quandary all but dooms any chance of his suiting up again.

Henry is seeking to modify child-support obligations. Some mothers and their lawyers will have none of that, saying he has squandered a small fortune on luxuries like cars and jewelry.

“I feel sorry for the guy, trust me,” Wellon said. “On the other hand, when you take those kind of actions, there are consequences. He could have taken care of the money.”

Henry argued that, within the context of richly paid athletes, he was not out of line. He contended that he owned no more than three vehicles at once and figured he had spent $250,000 on jewelry. “That ain’t a lot,” he said. Nevertheless, he was hoping to pawn some jewelry to pay off one of many debts and gain freedom.

If there were excesses, Henry said, they involved his immediate family, like picking up travel expenses to games during his seven-year career, highlighted by three 1,200-yard-plus seasons.

“I have a big heart,” he said. “I was taking care of a lot of people. I was acting like somebody who never had nothing. Could never get into that saving mode.”

Kessler, his Atlanta lawyer, said Henry could catch up on child support with access to $250,000 that the judge ordered be placed in a trust. Kessler has appealed the ruling.

“Travis is tackling this head-on,” he said, suggesting that this distinguishes him from other athletes in similar predicaments.

Henry made no excuses but said absentee fathers were part of the landscape during his developmental years. His father disappeared early on, only to resurface at the dawn of his football fame.

“There was no love lost; he wasn’t around when I needed him to be,” said Henry, who indicated that he gets along with his father.

Henry voiced no love for the mothers of some of his children. “Everything was cool,” he said before he signed the rich contract with Denver. “Then they were out for blood.”

After his drug arrest, Henry said he developed severe migraines that required a visit to an emergency room.

“I’m trying to get through the storm,” said Henry, who is eager to impart the same advice to N.F.L. rookies that he once ignored. He would tell them, “Don’t ever think it can’t happen to you.”

Back in Denver, his fiancée awaits. They set a wedding date but agreed to postpone it until the storm dissipates.

One other subject they agree on: Neither wants children.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Jimmy Smith in trouble

Personally, when I'm driving on a suspended licence and with illegally tinted windows, I try not to carry crack and weed in the car.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009
    Ex-Jag J. Smith found with drugs in car
    Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Jimmy Smith was pulled over Wednesday afternoon and found with crack cocaine and marijuana in his car, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Smith, who played 10 seasons for Jacksonville, was pulled over on Interstate 95 in Jacksonville for excessive window tint on his 2009 Mercedes Benz, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Leeper said.

The trooper reported that the inside of the car smelled like burnt marijuana. During a search, the trooper found crack cocaine, marijuana and a business card with powder cocaine residue in the car's center console.

Smith faces multiple drug charges, plus a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was being held at the Duval County Jail with no bond set.

Smith retired from the Jaguars in 2006 after playing from 1995 to 2005. He finished with 862 receptions and 12,287 receiving yards and 67 touchdowns. He was a five-time Pro Bowl selection.

Despite the exceptional stats, Smith's career was not without problems.

In 2001, he had three operations to remove scar tissue from his abdomen. Some questioned whether he would play again, but he caught 112 passes for 1,373 yards -- despite being arrested in November that year for suspicion of drunken driving. Tests later revealed he had cocaine in his system. He vehemently denied using the drug.

He was suspended for the first four games of the 2003 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He then publicly acknowledged an addiction and spent several weeks in rehab.

Smith also had problems before joining the Jaguars.

The third receiver selected in the 1992 draft behind Desmond Howard and Carl Pickens, Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994 after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

He made the most of his chance, teaming with Keenan McCardell to help land the Jaguars in the playoffs in only their second season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement