Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbery?

Options
  • 04-03-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Postman just dropped in the gas bill

1364.93 Euro from 03 Dec until 24 Feb, 83 days

3 bedroom house, 7 Radiators plus sink water is all the gas is used for

shower/oven etc all electric....

Any advice? Whats my next move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

get a timer on the gas.
    dont have it on when you dont require it,
    turn it off when you are going out or if you know you are going out
    close curtains at night,
    put a jumper on
    check insulation in the attic
    add a few rugs or mats in the house
    only have the radiators you require on
    if you have the option to have upstairs and downstairs heat separated or already do
    only have the heat on upstairs 60 to 30 min before bedtime

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭seandugg

Cheers but I'm not really looking for tips on how to be energy efficient.

More interested in if people think this is a crazy bill for the use we make of the gas and if so what we should do about it?

I haven't much experience of gas bills but seems very steep to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Seems very steep. Was it an estimate? Or were the past two bills estimates that they've now corrected?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭seandugg

Ya just saw its an estimate, do they really over estimate by this much?

Ill check the meter in the morning and report back after I call Bord Gais with some abuse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It does seem steep, so I wonder if previous bills had been estimates, and it's finally caught up with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, it's a large amount of money alright but we can't answer whether it's unreasonable or not without knowing your usage habits. How long is your gas on for normally each day? Do you have a gas fire that you use a lot? Do you have the rads on in any unused rooms the whole time? Do you have the heating on high? Do you leave your internal doors open? All these are factors in your bill. I had a very large bill a few months ago and just did simple things like closing the internal doors and turning down the heat a little, sutting down how long I had it on for. I don't mean to sound like an environmental preacher (I only did it for the money) and I did not reduce the heating time until I was uncomfortable or anything but I did notice a huge reduction in my next bill (about 30%)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

seandugg wrote: »
    Ya just saw its an estimate, do they really over estimate by this much?

Ill check the meter in the morning and report back after I call Bord Gais with some abuse :pac:

Oh, phew. Still seems very high for an estimate though. What was your previous history like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Mine for the same period was 423 and I have a 4 bed detached house so no house beside us to keep us warm! I definitely don't stint on heat. What were your last couple of bills like? It still seems absolutely astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I have heard loads of peple complain about their latest gas bills,
    friend of my sister nearly always gets a bill for about 120 and her latest bill was 590.
    Somethings afoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I have heard loads of peple complain about their latest gas bills,
    friend of my sister nearly always gets a bill for about 120 and her latest bill was 590.
    Somethings afoot
    i often wondered could bord gais or the ESB over estimate bills if they wanted to bulk up quarterly figures??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

That's a joke, are you growing marijuana in there with gas powered heaters?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i often wondered could bord gais or the ESB over estimate bills if they wanted to bulk up quarterly figures??

My bills have been as expected - higher during winter, lower during summer.

Then again if I see a bill has been estimated I ring in readings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Our bill was fairly steep but not as high. friend's was nearly a grand. she rang up and was told her previous bills were all estimates - this one was an accurate charge - she's fuming ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

livvy wrote: »
    Our bill was fairly steep but not as high. friend's was nearly a grand. she rang up and was told her previous bills were all estimates - this one was an accurate charge - she's fuming ..

Well...perhaps in future she should call them with the meter reading?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

livvy wrote: »

Estimated bills are clearly marked and folk are encouraged to ring in, write in or log in with their accurate readings.

Sometimes I fear that people prefer to leave their head in the sand and ignore small estimated bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seandugg wrote: »
    shower
    These things rape your electricity bill. Our bill was very high as well. Going to use the shower less at home (and use the gym one more :D).

Advertisement