Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

edging a gravel path

Options
  • 04-03-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I'm putting in a gravel path across my lawn and am looking to put some edging along its length. Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) way to do this and a good shop to buy from? The path will be starting in two places and joining up to meet the garage.
    I'm in portarlington

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't think that being in Portarlington should have much an effect on what method to use, but there are several !!

A quick & easy way is to use granite cobble stones attached to a plastic mesh (carpet stones)... by a mesh, I mean that they hold the stones together in much the same way mosaic tiles are held by a mesh & can be cut to fit.

Firstly, cut single lines of the granite stones for the edging, using a pliers.

Stretch a builders line from one end of the path to the other at what will be the finished level of the path.

Bed the strips on a paving mix of concrete. Make sure they are level with the builders line.

Haunch the concrete up against the edging on both sides - keep it lower than the finished level of the path so that it'll be hidden by the gravel. Then use a pointing trowel to fill the joints between the stones.

When the concrete is dry, spread decorative gravel over the surface of the path to a depth of 50mm, then rake it level.

Hey presto - a nicely edged gravel path!

Advertisement