Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaseline on tattoo

Options
  • 04-03-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

while the tattoo artist does your tattoo, is it good that they rub Vaseline over the tattoo as they draw it on you? or is that not good?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blackbox1

Draw on you ??!! or tattoo you??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laneyloo

thats pretty common! dont worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Never heard of it before, but I wouldn't even think of getting worried about it at all, he could have been rubbing alot of much nastier things into you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If not vasaline, it would be some other sort of lube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sam007

i meant tattoo not draw :)

i thought vaseline draws the ink out of your skin. cant remember where i heard it, just wanted other opinions.

Cheers though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

stop listening to whatever wierd **** your friends tell you. Go to an artist you trust enough that you won't over think things and allow the tattoo artist to do their job.

vaseline is a poor choice for aftercare. that is all.

fair enough.

to the pro it is. i was thinking about it anyway, its just my mate was doing it cheaply but his ways seem to make me think weather or not hes doing it right, and being the elitist prick he is he dont listen.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Doesn't vaseline stop the blood from bleeding on the untattood skin? Usually a tattooist wipes it off before wrapping it up.

maybe it does, maybe it doesn't :confused:

i thought lube with petroleum in it can draw out the ink

sam007 wrote: »
    maybe it does, maybe it doesn't :confused:

i thought lube with petroleum in it can draw out the ink

according to who?

• Advertisement

hot2def wrote: »
    according to who?

somewhere on the internet I think, weather its true or not I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

somewhere on the internet I think

Hint for life in general: If this is your source for anything, it means you need to do some research because it's more than likely incorrect.

Gauge wrote: »
    Hint for life in general: If this is your source for anything, it means you need to do some research because it's more than likely incorrect.

what, like research in depth on the net or go to a library etc, I think the internet has enough information for my personal needs, asking about on forums and getting professional advice from tattoo artists will satisfy me.

getting professional advice from tattoo artists will satisfy me.

my point exactly. you should only get tattooed by people you trust enough and respect theor abilities enough that you don't feel the need to second guess them with sh1t you heard on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

Mine used vaseline before he started on me, maybe it is right that it stops bleeding cos I never bled. He cleaned it off afterwards though, I wouldn't use it to help heal it but I am certain it is fine during the procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 devodevo

i always thought vaseline is used to promote good movement between needle and skin? Its cleaned off after the tattoo is finished and shouldn't be used in aftercare.

devodevo wrote: »
    i always thought vaseline is used to promote good movement between needle and skin? Its cleaned off after the tattoo is finished and shouldn't be used in aftercare.

My mate never cleaned the Vaseline off my back piece I had done with him, he just put a bit of kitchen towel on it and that was only because I asked him to.
    Thanks for the info.
    bubblewrap wrote: »
    Mine used vaseline before he started on me, maybe it is right that it stops bleeding cos I never bled. He cleaned it off afterwards though, I wouldn't use it to help heal it but I am certain it is fine during the procedure.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 devodevo

My mate never cleaned the Vaseline off my back piece I had done with him, he just put a bit of kitchen towel on it and that was only because I asked him to.
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

you're welcome for info, am surprised though you had to ask for your tattoo to be covered on completion. Is your friend an apprecticed tattooist?

devodevo wrote: »
    you're welcome for info, am surprised though you had to ask for your tattoo to be covered on completion. Is your friend an apprecticed tattooist?

no he's not, he's only been doing it for a few months. He thinks a freshly done tattoo should be left with no after-care, he says that's what he does with his and he has no problems, but his tattoos are faded and dont look that great. Why did I get it done with him then? you may ask. Because I didnt think someone could go too wrong with a simple design and the fact that it was free, compared to the £240 quote I had from Wizard of Ink in Brighton.
    I had a look on the internet for after-care products, I actually ended up just using Savlon recommended by a professional tattoo artist in Brighton. There was minimal scabbing.
    The work my mate did on my back is actually pretty bad :o im going to have to get it finished off my a professional, which a professional might not like.

Advertisement