Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Goo

Options
  • 04-03-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted before, but World of Goo demos for PC, Mac and Linux are now available here.

I've just finished playing the Wii version, and it's well worth a game. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is seriously the most fun I have had with a videogame in a long time. Most of the puzzle design is just inspired, the writing is clever and funny (in particular 'the Sign Painter') and new twists are thrown at you more or less every level. Try out the demo, but the full product is worth every penny (especially since you are supporting two very talented people who really have shown what independent gaming can be!).

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

It's 5 euro on steam right now. For the love of God buy this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

For the love of Goo buy this game.

fixed that :D

yeah it's definitely worth €5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I hate this game with every fibre of my body - or at least the 'higher and higher' level. I must have attempted it about 20 times now and it keeps on falling over. I just can't build the thing quick enough and I've lost count on how many times I've rage quit the game after the tower has fallen over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I hate this game with every fibre of my body - or at least the 'higher and higher' level. I must have attempted it about 20 times now and it keeps on falling over. I just can't build the thing quick enough and I've lost count on how many times I've rage quit the game after the tower has fallen over.

So click on the retry button on the left corner, then choose skip.

You can come back to it when you get the whistle.

Or create crosshatched squares i.e. like the one you start with...
    Put in top right corner, put in top left corner, put in 'unnecessary' 3rd goo in the middle of the resulting square to create an X

Reduces swaying a lot. Just takes a bit of patience to put in the 3rd goo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bought it, seems to be great fun, though I'll probably detest it on later levels! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

funnily enough, i remember finding the earlier levels more difficult, because I was trying to use what I'd learned in the previous level to get through it. Once I realized that they where pretty much throwing out the rule book with each level it became a lot easier.

Fanny, are you playing this game on the Wii? I remember the "higher and higher" level and thinking it would be an absolute pain on the Wii, as quite a few times I needed to quickly click those butterflies to undo a few moves and then quickly brace the side of my tower that was about to fall over, or counter weight it on the opposite side. I could not of moved that fast with a Wiimote. Oh and it doesn't get easier after that level either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

L31mr0d wrote: »
    funnily enough, i remember finding the earlier levels more difficult, because I was trying to use what I'd learned in the previous level to get through it. Once I realized that they where pretty much throwing out the rule book with each level it became a lot easier.

Fanny, are you playing this game on the Wii? I remember the "higher and higher" level and thinking it would be an absolute pain on the Wii, as quite a few times I needed to quickly click those butterflies to undo a few moves and then quickly brace the side of my tower that was about to fall over, or counter weight it on the opposite side. I could not of moved that fast with a Wiimote. Oh and it doesn't get easier after that level either :D

Funnily I actually finished the level a few minutes after my post. I did it by not trying. Instead of building a 3x3 block or 3x4 block as a base and inevitably failing, I decided to see what happens if I use up all the goo - did the level restart or what? After randomly lashing the goo all over the place, I found that I had a really stable structure and I just went from there. I'm on chapter 3 now and haven't had any problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Great game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

just bought it for 5 euro, nice price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Bought it for 20 dollars direct from them last week and since finished it. Loved it ... probably the first game in a long time that has made me go . that is cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Playing through this too. I love the overall design ethos, the colours are really nice and the backgrounds look very rich even just using simple shapes.

I had played the original flash game so I wasn't sure how it could be expanded to a whole game, but the level designs are great and a lot of imagination has gone in to it.

I couldn't do one level though;
    The one where you have to blow up the yellow robot head. There are is a fire on either side so it's hard to build a tower that goes high enough because it either burns down or gets destroyed by the spikes on the robots head. Getting the tower high enough is tricky, but then making it stretch over back in to the middle seems very very difficult. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cianos wrote: »
    I couldn't do one level though;
    The one where you have to blow up the yellow robot head. There are is a fire on either side so it's hard to build a tower that goes high enough because it either burns down or gets destroyed by the spikes on the robots head. Getting the tower high enough is tricky, but then making it stretch over back in to the middle seems very very difficult. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Trick is to build structures on both sides, and get them to join in the middle above the robot head. So build two 'towers', one on either side, and go around the head rather than straight up. If you connect it right (and its tricky because both sides will wobble quite a bit!) it should stay sturdy, and use the goo link at the top of the level to hold them up

Its hard to explain, but hopefully that's some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Trick is to build structures on both sides, and get them to join in the middle above the robot head. So build two 'towers', one on either side, and go around the head rather than straight up. If you connect it right (and its tricky because both sides will wobble quite a bit!) it should stay sturdy, and use the goo link at the top of the level to hold them up

Its hard to explain, but hopefully that's some help!

Ah ok :)
    I was gonna do that in the beginning but I didn't think I'd have enough balls to build two towers...not that I'm afraid of building towers or anything :P Thanks, will try that next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I found the Higher and Higher level the most frustration also. Inf fact I ended up doing it along with another person and we just gave up trying to build some sort of structure and just kept throwing and throwing the goo up as quick as possible until we could just about stretch one as far as the pipe to suck the rest of them up.

Advertisement