Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants months rent for 2 weeks

Options
  • 04-03-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I moving from a single bedroom to a double en suite in Swords this month.

Just contacted the landlord of my current house who wants the full months rent even tho I ll be only here for 2, as she says she wont be able to find someone in 2 weeks.

I thought 2 weeks rent was a fair enough notice period as we signed no contract or anything like that.

We have always been fairly friendly and tbh I m surprised by this.:(

But she has my deposit so I was thinking to tell her just to keep it and when the gas esb and internet come around when I m gone it will even out.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hey,

Just contacted the landlord of my current house who wants the full months rent even tho I ll be only here for 2, as she says she wont be able to find someone in 2 weeks.

I thought 2 weeks rent was a fair enough notice period as we signed no contract or anything like that.

But she has my deposit so I was thinking to tell her just to keep it and when the gas esb and internet come around when I m gone it will even out.

Any other suggestions?

You need to read the citizens information site, I've added a link to the correct page but I don't know if the mods will allow it (mods??)
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/if-your-landlord-wants-you-to-leave

Most landlords choose a month as it seems to be the industry standard. You have to pay your rent up to the last day, no less. As the citizens info page says there are accepted periods of notice - it depends on how long you have lived there.

You CAN'T use your deposit to pay the last months rent or any bills. From a landlords point of view its just plain messy.

I just can't see you getting your way in this, you need to follow the guidelines. Sorry I know you don't to hear that.

And yes I am a landlord before you ask :). I'm also renting a house so I've seen it from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

1st question.

Are they registered with the PRTB?

If yes then unless you have been there less then 6 months(i think..) you should give 28days(ie a month) notice or find someone yourself for the 2 weeks. This is the default norm is there isnt a lease in place.

if no then do what you like(Well dont trash the place). Tell them to give back the 2 weeks or else you'll report them.

Then report them anyway once you have your money back and settled the bills.
    Too many cowboy landlords in this country.

I speak as a tenant who has had a great relationship with 2 very decent landlords over 7 years of renting and one poor relationship with a cowboy for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

IMHO, playing hardball is just bad karma if they've treated you well up until now, regardless of whether they're registered. To answer the original question, a month is the effective 'standard', although the law actually provides for much longer notice periods on both sides once you've been there >6 months, so a month's notice is probably fair I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

You say you've enjoyed a good friendly relationship with her throughout your tenancy, yes?

Why then, wouldn't you take the trouble to give her plenty of notice so that she could sort herself out with a new tenant? 2 weeks is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I think you landlord only asking for a month is quite reasonable. It really is the minimum they could ask you. Depending on how long you are there they may be entitled to ask you for much more. Just as you are entitled to notice if they want you to leave, its only fair you give them appropriate notice too.

I'm a renter and a months notice seems fair, especially when you consider how long it may take them to replace you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Hey,

Any other suggestions?

You need to get in touch with the PRTB if there is no lease in place the PRTB applies anyway even if she hasn't registered the property they will tell you what to do and then she will be fined. To the best of my knowledge you are legally required to give a full months notice but check with the PRTB

Advertisement