Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative taxes nobody will feel

Options
  • 04-03-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    After hearing this morning about the idea of a text tax, I have to admit I was quite impressed with the creativity of it.
    2Billion texts sent in the last 3 months of 2008
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/idojojmhkf/

1c per text = 20million , mulitiply that by 4 is 80million in one year.

Ok its not a massive amount but if you could think of loads of really creative ways of taking the penneys of the people without them noticing then whats the problem? Can you image another 10 or 11 ideas like this, thats another billion.
    Any across the board taxes that people dont feel should be encouraged imo.
    Theres a thread like this in after hours but more of a piss take, just wondering can anyone else think of creative ways of taxing people. Just little things where were all putting a few cents here and there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

a €1 charge to use the kazzy? ( admittedly not my idea )

with all the ****e that comes outta those tools we'd be out of trouble in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TGPS

It would at least pay for the HPV vaccinations!

TGPS
    http://thisgruntledpublicservant.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Tax those crimes you cannot stop. So those that take place between consenting adults. Drugs, prostitution are the libertarian regular ones. But what else is there? A tax on polygamous marriages? A tax on euthanasia?

How about a tax on pollution? You can smoke in a pub if you pay 100 euro, something like that. If this is silly so is a carbon tax :)

Or if your not willing to tax sex and drugs how about their complementary goods? Clear heels and rolly papers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

They should legalise all downloads and stick a tax on 'em

Put a tax on candles, then have regular black outs. This will also help to stop the unnecessary selling burning of unnecessary "pretty" candles.

Tax takeaways, 1% on every order every time you get a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Along the lines of what cavedave is suggesting: legalise marijuana and tax it. Should have the added bonus of cutting down on crime and boosting tourism too...

ATM tax - 1 cent per transaction. Anyone looking to avoid it can go into the branch and cost the people who got us into this mess money.

A receipt tax? Well worth an extra 5c for anything that you might return or have problems with but they're utterly pointless for small transactions / most grocery shopping.

Broadband tax 5/10 euro a year?

Breakfast Roll tax. They're awful for your health.

A tax on celebrity gossip magazines. Just because they're awful things. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

A tax on threads?

(dont think that'll go down well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tax the paper bags that come with takeaways!

Better still, tax all paper shopping bags, throw a few cent on them at the point of purchase. A green environmentally tax they'll call it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tax takeaways, 1% on every order every time you get a takeaway.

Decent idea

Take O'Briens for example. A fresh sandwich has no vat but if you get it toasted you then pay VAT as it enters a new category. Around 80c

Simple enough to rack up this tax rate. And if the majority of it are 6 euro sandwiches at lunchtimes and takeaways and junk food, then what harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Sleepy wrote: »
    Along the lines of what cavedave is suggesting: legalise marijuana and tax it. Should have the added bonus of cutting down on crime and boosting tourism too...

ATM tax - 1 cent per transaction. Anyone looking to avoid it can go into the branch and cost the people who got us into this mess money.

A receipt tax? Well worth an extra 5c for anything that you might return or have problems with but they're utterly pointless for small transactions / most grocery shopping.

Broadband tax 5/10 euro a year?

Breakfast Roll tax. They're awful for your health.

A tax on celebrity gossip magazines. Just because they're awful things. :P
    Some nice ideas there, I like the bank one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I would suggest that the description to cover all of these odd taxes would be "Carpet Tax".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tax any food that is high in calories such as cookies, publicise these foods as bad for you, a 'bad food' tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

wylo wrote: »
    Hi,
    After hearing this morning about the idea of a text tax, I have to admit I was quite impressed with the creativity of it.
    2Billion texts sent in the last 3 months of 2008
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/idojojmhkf/

1c per text = 20million , mulitiply that by 4 is 80million in one year.

Ok its not a massive amount but if you could think of loads of really creative ways of taking the penneys of the people without them noticing then whats the problem? Can you image another 10 or 11 ideas like this, thats another billion.
    Any across the board taxes that people dont feel should be encouraged imo.
    Theres a thread like this in after hours but more of a piss take, just wondering can anyone else think of creative ways of taxing people. Just little things where were all putting a few cents here and there.

Not a bad idea at all.

Another idea what about for the average 8 hour a day worker we work extra 30 mins of day i mean would we really notice it and the gov could have the proceeds. I'm sure with your country needs you speech most including me would do it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sleepy wrote: »
    Along the lines of what cavedave is suggesting: legalise marijuana and tax it. Should have the added bonus of cutting down on crime and boosting tourism too.
    Due to international treaties that we have signed, and certain rules in the EU, we can't actually do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I would suggest that the description to cover all of these odd taxes would be "Carpet Tax".

Well whatever it should be called I think its time some initiative is taken, even if some of the taxes are unorthodox and sometimes laughable i think its worth it.
    The important thing is that nobody feels the pain, just a vast amount of contributions from EVERYBODY

The advantages are

-nobody is getting a "worse deal" than anyone else
    -nobody will notice paying a cent or 2 all the time
    -spending wont drop (unlike if income taxes are raised)
    -some suggestions encourage healthy living
    -its possible other countries will follow suit, improving our reputation

With the possible exception of the homeless people, I dont think there is anyone in this country that actually knowsif they have lost 5c or not from their wallet in any given day.

We can sit around all day and give out about Fianna Fail and their fook ups but I think its time we started putting forward suggestions ourselves, cause despite problems with our government there is no denying that we have a deficit that has to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I reckon we should tax big windows....far too much glass around us these days :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Due to international treaties that we have signed, and certain rules in the EU, we can't actually do that.
    Sure don't the words 'due to the current ecnomic climate' get you out of any commitments at the moment? ;)

(yes, I am still bitter about being on a pay freeze while being as busy or busier than I have been for the last 6 years)

The_Minister

How do the Dutch get around this? Is it that they have decriminalised it rather then legalised + taxed it?

*edit it seems to be tolerated not even decriminalised
    "The tolerance guidelines appear in appendix of the Opium Act. The Opium Act states very clearly that every part of the hemp plant is banned except for the seeds – this is in accordance with many of the international treaties which the Netherlands have signed. It is for this reason Cannabis cannot be legalised in the Netherlands."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Tax newspaper supplements.
    They're just subtle propaganda anyway, style sections for people that would never buy a glossy magazine in case it might fall open and they're enticed to buy a fraudulent cosmetic product

Tax cosmetics, any product that has an advertisement where Photoshop or eyelash extensions are used (call it the gullibility tax)

Tax hippy medicine, especially the glorified water they call 'homeopathy' (call it the really gullible tax)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Put a tax of 1c on, well, anything costing more than 99c.

You'd hardly notice it, and people must buy billions of things every year that would qualify :confused: And maybe have €1 on anything costing more than €99.

5c tax on teabags (not per teabag!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

I propose a Copper Face Jacks tax

Coppers is haunted by all manners of civil servants:

The Garda: crime is going to spiral, so it's boomtimes for the oinksters.

Revenue: serious pedant horn about making sure that you pay every penny. They'll be hiring lots and lots of bloodhounds.

Social Welfare: what with poverty queues like in Weimar Republic Germany it will take years to deal with these hordes of Great Unwashed, hence having to hire extra people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Tax on residential internet usage....Pirate movies levy! :D

Impose higher duties on alcohol sold from Off-licenses and Supermarkets. Maybe even reduce it for pubs and restaurants >>> need to be a low cost tourist destination.

Foreign holiday tax. Tax breaks for those who holiday in Ireland. Improve competitiveness, keep money in the economy.

Tax multi-million pound premiership footballers who want to play for the country! :)

Dave! wrote: »
    Put a tax of 1c on, well, anything costing more than 99c.

You'd hardly notice it, and people must buy billions of things every year that would qualify :confused: And maybe have €1 on anything costing more than €99.

5c tax on teabags (not per teabag!)

A rounding up tax? Wouldn't that just spike inflation as retailers decided they'd rather have the extra cent than hand it over to the state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

An increase in the VAT level of luxury & unhealthy items from 21% to 25%.
    * With the exception of telecoms/broadband costs.
    A concurrent reduction in VAT (if not already at the 13.5% rate) on fruits & vegtables.

A consistent repeated increase in the Excise/Duty tax for Alchol & tobacco.
    Smaller increases every 2/3 months rather than once a year would make it easier to obsorb.

A special levy on disposable fast food containers.
    If people are happy to buy from the "sh*t in a tray" merchants they wont mind paying 50c for the container it came in.

Means test child welfare. Why rich people get this payment is beyond me.

spank_inferno

One explanation I have heard for why it is not means tested is that in the past it was not uncommon enough for a husband to spend, gamble or just ration money to his wife and kids. At least with children allowance the money was given to the mother so there was some income available to children. Now that women can more easily work and earn money, divorce/separate and other cultural changes this reasoning may not have as much weight. I could be wrong about this explanation as to child welfare has not been means tested historically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Costly, and politically contentious. And there is some validity in cavedave's point that some women need an assured source of funds other than what their partners might provide (although I suspect that is a less important factor than it was 30 years ago).

But it is simple to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a lot of denial at work here. The text messaging tax might bring in €100 million. Any other taxes that don't involve hitting income or property are in the ha'penny place. As for the Child Benefit, The Commission on Taxation is expected to report on that and it is likely to be taxed in some way.

My notions apart the obvious income and property taxes.

Ministerial pensions cancelled until they actually leave the Dail.
    Do an Aer Lingus on all advisers. Fire 'em, reduce the numbers and get them back at a lower rate.
    Cap public salaries.
    Levy on all takeaways.
    New vouched expenses scheme for all politicians.
    Tax exiles: Use it or lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Another idea what about for the average 8 hour a day worker we work extra 30 mins of day

So the Public sector equivalent would be an extra
    5 minutes work / 25 minutes coffee and chat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Ironbars

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I reckon we should tax big windows....far too much glass around us these days :(

This is an old one, might work :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

How do the Dutch get around this? Is it that they have decriminalised it rather then legalised + taxed it?

*edit it seems to be tolerated not even decriminalised
    "The tolerance guidelines appear in appendix of the Opium Act. The Opium Act states very clearly that every part of the hemp plant is banned except for the seeds – this is in accordance with many of the international treaties which the Netherlands have signed. It is for this reason Cannabis cannot be legalised in the Netherlands."

I believe licenced coffee shops pay a licence fee.

Not a bad idea for Ireland, legalise licenced growers and outlets (coffee shops) and tax them. You would need some kind of supervison of production/consumption, a bit like the tax stamp on cig packets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Instead of "creative taxes" we should bring our countries spending under control. Why should other countries continue to lend us vast sums of money ( 25 billion plus ? ) when Gerry the Guard and Nora the nurse and Paddy the politician are all paid so much more ( 40% ) than the best of their counterparts in Boston, Berlin and Birmingham ?

Advertisement