Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative taxes nobody will feel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So the Public sector equivalent would be an extra
    5 minutes work / 25 minutes coffee and chat ?

Is the private sector equivalent 5 minutes work and 25 minutes bitching about the public sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is the private sector equivalent 5 minutes work and 25 minutes bitching about the public sector?

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Fintan O'Toole said on Prime time the other night that if they abolished tax relief on private pensions then that would generate 2billion overnight in savings. Nobody disputed his numbers and it hardly seems fair that public sector workers get a double whammy on pension contributions and Fintan gets 200 quid a month in tax relief for his pension.

All the old reliables are going up, petrol and diesel and home heating oil, childrens allowance to be cut and means tested, no more child care assistance grant, dole to be cut, relief in tax designated counties/housing schems to be gone, booze and fags severely up. It would help if they came up with a public sector voluntary redundancy scheme. Lots of people would take it, pay of the mortgage, sell up and get the fudge outta town.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Fintan O'Toole said on Prime time the other night that if they abolished tax relief on private pensions then that would generate 2billion overnight in savings. Nobody disputed his numbers and it hardly seems fair that public sector workers get a double whammy on pension contributions and Fintan gets 200 quid a month in tax relief for his pension.

All the old reliables are going up, petrol and diesel and home heating oil, childrens allowance to be cut and means tested, no more child care assistance grant, dole to be cut, relief in tax designated counties/housing schems to be gone, booze and fags severely up. It would help if they came up with a public sector voluntary redundancy scheme. Lots of people would take it, pay of the mortgage, sell up and get the fudge outta town.

Moore McDowell had him for breakfast on Pat Kenny the following day. Kenny also took him to task. O'Toole is an ass at the best of times. These days he seems to go in for shouting people down and then talking so quickly that no-one can get a word in edgeways. Regrettably he seems to think he's the best authority on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

A concurrent reduction in VAT (if not already at the 13.5% rate) on fruits & vegtables.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, VAT is not charged on fresh food.

Nice to see some proactive posts – some good ideas in here too. Makes a change from all the threads calling for riots and the overthrowing of the government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Totally wrong : public sector workers do not get a double whammy on pension contributions ...they do not even pay the full economic cost of their pension. If they did it would be over 25% of their salary. As well as that, if public sector workers decide to take out a private pension they get tax relief on that to the same extent as private sector workers.
    However, tax relief on all pensions should be cut. And public sector workers should pay the proper cost of their pensions, the same as everyone else. Otherwise take their pensions away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

jimmmy wrote: »
    Totally wrong : public sector workers do not get a double whammy on pension contributions ...they do not even pay the full economic cost of their pension. If they did it would be over 25% of their salary. As well as that, if public sector workers decide to take out a private pension they get tax relief on that to the same extent as private sector workers.
    However, tax relief on all pensions should be cut. And public sector workers should pay the proper cost of their pensions, the same as everyone else. Otherwise take their pensions away.

It's not totally wrong, if you pay 200 euro a month into the fund before the levy, you will now pay double that and you will get nothing like the tax relief that a private pension would give you. There's one whammy, 2nd whammy is that private pensions get much better tax relief then public sector, triple whammy is that there is no choice in public sector pension contributions. Fourth whammy due to the cost of the public sector pension contributions few people in the PS could afford a private pension and sure they're so great anyway why would you want to? Give me a break. Feel free to take my pension away, I'd get great tax relief on 400 quid a month I could invest in my own pension scheme. Oh and I just thougth of a fifth whammy, even if you're not in the pension scheme and work in the public sector you still have to pay the levy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

More tax on top-hats and cigars.

Hit those fat-cats.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

t-ha wrote: »
    Hit those fat-cats.
    100% tax on leading brands like Whiskas - if the cats have less to eat, they won't be so fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Water charges like in most other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

jester77

I think people would feel that. And if most places are doing it its hardly very creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cavedave wrote: »
    I think people would feel that. And if most places are doing it its hardly very creative.

Well, the water doesn't magically get purified and delivered to the tap for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

jester77 wrote: »

I'm sure Galwegians would love the idea of having to pay for their supply of cryptosporidium...:rolleyes:

jester77

Well, the water doesn't magically get purified and delivered to the tap for free.

I never claimed it was. The topic is "Creative taxes nobody will feel" and the one you mentioned was neither creative nor unnoticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Like the Text message idea. Might run into trouble though. When I top up by £10 I get a fwe hundred free texts to other UK phones. Do ROI operators have anything similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Like the Text message idea. Might run into trouble though. When I top up by £10 I get a fwe hundred free texts to other UK phones. Do ROI operators have anything similar?

Yes, but you pay for the texts as part of your top-up, they're not free !!!! If they were free you would pay £ 0 for your top-up. It amazes me how people go on about their "free" texts. It's like a pub charging you for a glass and putting "free" beer in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Another idea what about for the average 8 hour a day worker we work extra 30 mins of day i mean would we really notice it and the gov could have the proceeds. I'm sure with your country needs you speech most including me would do it
    Most private sector workers already work unpaid hours. I work about 50 hours a week, get paid for 35. This is the norm in my industry.
    If you wanted to be controversial instead of legalising marijuana, you could legalise and tax prostitution. France and numerous other places already do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

An ANYTHING Tax. If you buy anything, get taxed 1c. Nobody would notice that - sure feck it make it 2c a transaction!

Surely we must have billions of transactions every year.

jdivision

If you wanted to be controversial instead of legalising marijuana, you could legalise and tax prostitution. France and numerous other places already do this.

That is not that controversial. How about tax all crime? And only those who cannot pay go to jail. So if you commit a murder but can pay 1 million you get off. We could turn Leitrim into some sort of human hunting range...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

cavedave wrote: »
    ...the one you mentioned was neither creative nor unnoticeable.
    How about a ninja tax?! Sure those feckers are everywhere & pay nothin'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ryan7

"Every day An Post staff deliver over 3,500,000 items of mail"

How about a 1c - 5c tax on postage stamps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

professore wrote: »
    It amazes me how people go on about their "free" texts.

If I had your number I could text you for "free." By this I mean it wouldn't deduct anything from my credit at all. That wold be the definition of free.

When I top up by 20 euro I get free texts for a month. And I will still have my 20 euro at the end. Whats unfree about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

We could all leave the country and pay a tax on our way out and the last one turn the lights off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

What about a 1c levey on all products sold at €value.99c, (e.g. €1.99, €49.99) I would gladly pay most of the time I do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

(1). An email tax (5 cent per email).

(2). An obesity tax (BMI 30-35 €1000 PA, BMI > 35 €5000 PA).

(3). A cable/satellite TV tax (€250 per home PA).

(4). A border (ROI/NI) tax - €10 to enter/leave the state.

(5). VAT (30%) on all imported foods/drinks.

(6). VAT (30%) on all foods high in saturated/hydrogenated fats.

(7). VAT (100 %) on all meals purchased from fast food outlets.

(8). An excessive home energy use tax - any home that uses above a specified amount of kWh equivalents PA be taxed at €100 per square metre.

(9). A tax (€200) on gaming consoles.

(10). An alcohol related emergency hospital attendance tax (blood alcohol 100-200 mg % €500, blood alcohol > 200 mg % €5000).

(11). An early school leaver's tax - parents taxed €5000 for every child who leaves school before sitting the Leaving Certificate.

(12). A tax on all foreign registered cars here for more than a month, say €100 per month thereafter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

(1). An email tax (5 cent per email).

(2). An obesity tax (BMI 30-35 €1000 PA, BMI > 35 €5000 PA).

(3). A cable/satellite TV tax (€250 per home PA).

(4). A border (ROI/NI) tax - €10 to enter/leave the state.

(5). VAT (30%) on all imported foods/drinks.

(6). VAT (30%) on all foods high in saturated/hydrogenated fats.

(7). VAT (100 %) on all meals purchased from fast food outlets.

(8). An excessive home energy use tax - any home that uses above a specified amount of kWh equivalents PA be taxed at €100 per square metre.

(9). A tax (€200) on gaming consoles.

(10). An alcohol related emergency hospital attendance tax (blood alcohol 100-200 mg % €500, blood alcohol > 200 mg % €5000).

(11). An early school leaver's tax - parents taxed €5000 for every child who leaves school before sitting the Leaving Certificate.

(12). A tax on all foreign registered cars here for more than a month, say €100 per month thereafter.

All great suggestions - but why stop there? We should consider a tax on using a toilet, and perhaps a tax on breathing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dave! wrote: »

5c tax on teabags (not per teabag!)

Just what the hell's wrong with you, man? That's evil.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I know its not creative but there should be a charge for using public toilets also.

There should be very small taxes placed across the board and its true that we dont miss a few 10 and 20cents here and there. A 1cent charge wouldnt be even noticeable for the free texting service where you would get 2000 texts for the 20 euro topup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just what the hell's wrong with you, man? That's evil.:mad:

This coffee-drinker thinks it's a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Tax all religious organisations and double tax for scientologists (If they can give their money to Tom Cruise they can give it to the government)

Take away celebrities (read: Bono) Irish citizenship if they move their assets out of Ireland for tax reasons.

Government ministers tax - a tax to be a TD

Tax the dole unless they do community service to earn it.

tax on tax?

Advertisement