Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

what software do i need to build this?

• 04-03-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

hello all..

i have been building sites for the past 8 years but have been dragged kicking and screaming into the future of web building... and have decided to buy flash in the next few months and start down the road of flash websites and all that.. but i have always looked at the following site as the best site design i have ever come across http://www.2advanced.com/

what kind of tools would a person need to get familiar with to eventually get good enough to build something along these lines?

is it just flash? or some other programs?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

The main things are Flash, a really good sense of design, and motion graphics, some decent actionscript experience, or a good actionscript programmer you can team up with.

It's not something you can jump into overnight though. The 2advanced site was probably built by a tam of 3 or 4 people, so focus on your core goals and how you can work in a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

thanks for the reply man :) yea im sure that site was built by a large team of web dev's and graphics designers etc.. and i know i could not jump into that over night, i have spent the last 8 years just writing scripts in notepad (never used any web designing progs before) have been using photoshop for years now too on all my sites.. so flash will be my new hurdle :) thanks again, i'll go digging for tutorials now and get stuck in..

cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Heathen wrote: »
    is it just flash? or some other programs?
    SWiSH is an app that generates Flash movies, but is much cheaper than Adobe Flash.

I hope you realise that many here don't like Flash sites from SEO and usability perspectives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

daymobrew wrote: »
    I hope you realise that many here don't like Flash sites from SEO and usability perspectives.
    I frickin' hate those sort of flash sites from a usability pov.

If I wanted a multimedia experience I'd ask for one - just display the information I require without making me work for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Personally Flash websites should only exist for Movie sites and other sites that require alot of interaction, a company really doesnt need one, that site is really heavy.

Its all flash, you could even get away with no actionscript at all ! [except for the preloaders] One thing to keep in mind, the backgrounds in the site make the site.

Not really a fan of the interface, all over the gaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

2advanced do what they do very well.

fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Heathen wrote: »
    i have been building sites for the past 8 years but have been dragged kicking and screaming into the future of web building... and have decided to buy flash in the next few months and start down the road of flash websites and all that..

Developing full-Flash websites is actually more taking a retrograde step than anything else. Usability and accessibility are considered more 'the future of web building' than all-Flash sites. Gracefully degrading Flash can bring hybrid sites to life and Flash has other suitable uses:
    • Delivery of video content
    • Interactive Micro-sites (for FMCG, promotions, etc)
    • Banner ads
    • etc
    But if you're planning on building lots of customer-targeting, informational commercial websites in Flash... don't do it!

Advertisement