Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Can anyone here see the points going down for arts in UCD next year due to the lack of people applying??..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Nope , if ANYTHING it'd go down to 345 that would be the max I'd see it going down but with all this talk of cutting University places going on I wouldnt be surprised if it was pushed up 5 or 10 points.

Its hard to predict at this stage , It will depend on what the government do to education , if Fee's are brought in points may drop a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

TDOie wrote: »
    Nope , if ANYTHING it'd go down to 345 that would be the max I'd see it going down but with all this talk of cutting University places going on I wouldnt be surprised if it was pushed up 5 or 10 points.

Its hard to predict at this stage , It will depend on what the government do to education , if Fee's are brought in points may drop a bit.

I heard off somebody, due to the lack of career aspects with an arts degree that the points will go down. It was only so high in the last few years because there were plenty of jobs and people done arts for intrest and fun, not for job asspects. But sure thats only one person talking.

I have a great belief that fees will definetly be comeing back in soon.
    I think there is going to very few people doing less practical courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

It's by no means unattainably high though, as is... Maybe you should bank on getting 350ish points, rather than willing your peers to apply for other courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I believe UCD decide the final points reqd, obviously taking demand into account. But I would say they wouldnt want the points going any lower than they are now. Its too hard to predict really

flag123 wrote: »
    I heard off somebody, due to the lack of career aspects with an arts degree that the points will go down. It was only so high in the last few years because there were plenty of jobs and people done arts for intrest and fun, not for job asspects. But sure thats only one person talking.

I have a great belief that fees will definetly be comeing back in soon.
    I think there is going to very few people doing less practical courses.

I'd say thats true for most arts subjects. But I wouldnt say stuff like Computer Science through Arts has bad job prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd say thats true for most arts subjects. But I wouldnt say stuff like Computer Science through Arts has bad job prospects.

That'd depend very much on what you picked with it though - obviously taking something like economics or maths as your arts subject for BA CS would be more useful than taking Latin or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Or psychology, if you're willing to beat the competition for postgrad places.

Then again you can't really do Psychology through general entry arts so I suppose that's irrelevant :p

TS, if you can't get the 350 points needed to do Arts then to be honest you don't have a hope in hell of managing to do the course to any decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Why Arts? Points in the 360+ range might get you in to something like Mechanical or Electronic / Electrical Engineering, and others. There are also programmes like Physics with Astronomy & Space Science, which has surprisingly low points. These programmes would require decent Maths, so if you're one of those folks who can't wait to leave all Maths behind, forever they might not be for you.

Just be aware that if you start Arts, you are joining a huge herd of students, by far the largest group at UCD. Whatever your opinion is of Arts, you'll be fighting a lot of people for jobs after you graduate.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

bnt wrote: »
    Just be aware that if you start Arts, you are joining a huge herd of students, by far the largest group at UCD. Whatever your opinion is of Arts, you'll be fighting a lot of people for jobs after you graduate.

Everyone's already fighting for jobs:(

There are many Arts subjects with good job prospects, Economics, Maths, Computer Science as you said, but the majority of these subjects are not practical, for e.g. Geography, Latin, Greek and Roman civilisation.

I belief that there are many students who done these subjects in Arts and started around two or three years ago and are now frightened with the economic situation. I fell sorry for these people because I would have done it myself.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    Why Arts? Points in the 360+ range might get you in to something like Mechanical or Electronic / Electrical Engineering, and others. There are also programmes like Physics with Astronomy & Space Science, which has surprisingly low points. These programmes would require decent Maths, so if you're one of those folks who can't wait to leave all Maths behind, forever they might not be for you.

I agree on what your saying. Suprisngly for such an easy course, Arts has high points. Mechanical engineering( what I plan to do) is at higher points which is acceptable because nearly all graduates are employeed after they leave. I know people who have done Arts over the past few years and they are working in chip shops..

I agree on what your saying. Suprisngly for such an easy course, Arts has high points. Mechanical engineering( what I plan to do) is at higher points which is acceptable because nearly all graduates are employeed after they leave. I know people who have done Arts over the past few years and they are working in chip shops..

I know someone who Graduated from Trinity with a degree in Mechanical Engineering (got a 2.1) and it took him a year and a half to find a job , He had to emmigrate to England to get the job too (its in the Car industry) and now with the cutbacks in that industry he may lose it.

So I wouldnt say you go STRAIGHT into a job.

Points are purely based on supply and demand, not what the job opportunities are at the end of it.

An example of this would be...

You can get into BA Computer Science for as low as 305 points.

Points are purely based on supply and demand, not what the job opportunities are at the end of it.

But over the last few years Arts courses have being very popular, mechanical engineering is not as popular but points are higher...

But over the last few years Arts courses have being very popular, mechanical engineering is not as popular but points are higher...

True not as popular on a numbers basis but if you have 3,000 Arts places every year and 5,000 applying and then 50 Mechanical Engineering spaces and 350 applying. You have 1.66 students for every 1 spot buy for mechanical engineering you have 7 students for every 1 spot.

So the college offers so many Arts places most of the students will get a spot. Mechanical engineering isnt as big an area so the college has less places and all though Mechanical Engineering is less popular than Arts there is much less places to go round hence the highest points get the places and due to the competition everyone who gets in will have highish points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I agree on what your saying. Suprisngly for such an easy course, Arts has high points.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you done the course?

Arts is anything but easy if you're serious about it and actually put in the amount of time and effort and library hours required to come out of it with a First.
    I know people who have done Arts over the past few years and they are working in chip shops..

So? I know someone with a Law degree who is currently working in McDonalds. An Arts degree is not worthless; it's up to you to do what you have to do to get to where you want to go afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Arts is practical. There is some utter bullshit being said on this thread. Studying arts teaches you how to think rationally, compile reports, research skills. The whole arts is not practical bullshit is said by those who have never done the subject. I can tell you first hand it is an excellent degree to pursue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

I think it's a disgrace that denominated students rquire loads more points than regular Arts students for the same course.

For example Arts is 350, while History, Politics and International Relations is 495, even though it's the exact same as studying History and Politics through Arts.

How do I know this? Because I was one of the unfortunate 11 people to be fooled by it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

I think it's a disgrace that denominated students rquire loads more points than regular Arts students for the same course.

For example Arts is 350, while History, Politics and International Relations is 495, even though it's the exact same as studying History and Politics through Arts.

How do I know this? Because I was one of the unfortunate 11 people to be fooled by it

yeha but you're denominated so you're guarnateed a place on that course. the problem with doing undenomiated courses, like arts or science, is that there's more competition for you to specialize in a certain subject, like history and politics, and it can be fairly difficult to get yourself a spot on some of the more popular degrees, like psychology.

• Advertisement

There's 1,200 places in arts, significantly less in engineering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

Arts is 350, while History, Politics and International Relations is 495, even though it's the exact same as studying History and Politics through Arts.

Hey there, I'm really interested in that course, its number 1 on my CAO. Any info on it would be great? Would you recommend it? etc.

I agree on what your saying. Suprisngly for such an easy course, Arts has high points.
    That is such a ridiculous statement.
    1) Points are based on supply and demand, not difficulty.
    2) Like any degree Arts gives you back what you put into it. If you don't put in the effort than ya, it's going to be "easy" and leave you unemployed. If you are trying to get a first then no, it's not easy in any respect. It'll require a massive amount of library time and a bucketful of intelligence.

yeha but you're denominated so you're guarnateed a place on that course. the problem with doing undenomiated courses, like arts or science, is that there's more competition for you to specialize in a certain subject, like history and politics, and it can be fairly difficult to get yourself a spot on some of the more popular degrees, like psychology.
    The only way to major in Psychology in UCD is to go through the denominated route. They don't allow anyone else in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Points are no measure of ability, just look at science courses, what 330 points (or there abouts) and look how many people actually get through the degree. Arts is probably one of the easiest courses you can do, and getting an arts degree isn't the hardest thing in the world but here's the catch, getting a good i.e. 1st Class Hon's degree is by no means an easy task. Also whatever you think you're good at in school will have no bearing on what you do after in college, e.g. I'm doing geography and town planning now, I never did geography in the leaving and I never heard of town planning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

Hey there, I'll give a list of pro's and cons;

PROS: -it's a small group (max 12 people), and in all cases the group has become very tight-knit; they are my best friends
    -Lectures are all held with the Arts Omnibus students, so you get thee best of both worlds basically
    -your seminars and tutorials are all going to be solely your group
    -the politics and history departments will arrange lots of nights out and trips for you
    -it is brilliant if you want to be in a with a dedicated bunch who are as focused on the course as you
    -when it comes to registration, you are pre-registered and you can avoid the hassle!
    -you still get UCD Horizons, so you can study other subjects along with, from anywhere across the University; basically whatever you are interested in (but they will not go on your degree)
    -you get priority for erasmus
    -it's 3 years
    -UCD is CLASS

CONS: -despite the fact that it is much higher points than Arts, there is no distinction, not even on your degree, from doing History and Politics through Arts, so you will not get recognition from Employers for having scored higher on your Leaving Cert
    -It's an Arts degre at the end of the day;you won't just walk into the job at the end of it

OVERALL: despite the fact that I was annoyed to discover that I could've done a similar degree through Arts Omnibus, I love it, especially the fact that my best friends are all on my course. Arts is a hug department and it's very hard to make friends in it, but we didn't have that issue because a wine reception was organized for us in the first week and from that evening on we've been joint at the hip :) also the 2nd years arranged a night out for us in week 3 and since then they've been our guidance, and we will definitely do the same for next years first years. UCD is an amazing place but I was very homesick at the start and I think that if it wasn't for HPIR (that's what we call ourselves) that I still wouldn't have settled now. I love it though!

If you want any more info just write back
    Hey there, I'm really interested in that course, its number 1 on my CAO. Any info on it would be great? Would you recommend it? etc.[/quote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

is UCD a good place to do arts? or the same as everywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

33% God wrote: »

The only way to major in Psychology in UCD is to go through the denominated route. They don't allow anyone else in.

Psychology can be taken as a minor in arts undenominated stage 1-3, which is fairly competitive to get into. The denominated route is for the single honours.

Psychology can be taken as a minor in arts undenominated stage 1-3, which is fairly competitive to get into. The denominated route is for the single honours.
    Yep, I know that. That's why I said that you can't major in it through a general entry BA :)

Advertisement