Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks day 2009

Options
  • 04-03-2009 10:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Hi, I wonder does anyone know officially when the parade is on in Sligo town?
    I heard that they (I think bizarrely:confused:) are having it on the Saturday 14th? Is that correct or will it be Tuesday the 17th. Thanks in advance for anyone who is in the know.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What?

How can they have it on the 14th? That would be a first! AFAIK its always been on the 17th regardless of the day that the 17th fell on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    What?

How can they have it on the 14th? That would be a first! AFAIK its always been on the 17th regardless of the day that the 17th fell on!

Thats what I thought. Stunned I was. Wondering how reliable my source was and so on and so forth. So hence I thought of ye, that ye might know:eek:
    Glad you reckon it'll be the 17th. They can'nt be goin wrecking our heads....Can they? :D

I just don't see why they would tuppence!

I just don't see why they would tuppence!
    They might be out to get us.........Like "they" wrote in the Champion where participants shuld assemble and what time. Then they never said what date. :mad: You'd think they'd say the date for crying out loud! Dont they realise that some folk might be out there getting misinformation from friends and wanting to find out the truth.
    I think myself, they are messing with our heads! :D

tuppence wrote: »
    They might be out to get us.........Like "they" wrote in the Champion where participants shuld assemble and what time. Then they never said what date. :mad: You'd think they'd say the date for crying out loud! Dont they realise that some folk might be out there getting misinformation from friends and wanting to find out the truth.
    I think myself, they are messing with our heads! :D

Well where did your friends get this info?

• Advertisement

Well where did your friends get this info?
    Will try and get to source! ;)
    This may take some time as a carrier pigeon is the best form of communication to Rossinver as the mobile reception so bad! :rolleyes::D

Rossinver!

I love that place! Peaceful!

Rossinver!

I love that place! Peaceful!

Diplomatic. ;) Twilight zone as far as phone coverage and thats not going to help the Patricks Day question!:rolleyes::D

Ya the coverage is $hit alright...

Still have fond memories from my youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When I was a kid, I went to the parade on O'Connell Street in Dublin every year... they were (back then) fairly lame affairs, but there was always something that gave me a good laugh...

Once myself & my brother were approached by two elderly americans dressed in tweed trousers, big chunky Aran jumpers, & covered head to toe in shamrock.. they asked us "Are you ooooirish?", to which we replied "yes". They then asked us if we'd ever seen any leprauchans. "Of course we have - there's loads of them in the Pheonix Park".... we stood there baffled as they then asked us for directions on how to get there & the woman checked her camera to see if she'd enough film left to get a few snaps!

Another time, one of the "attractions" was a red vintage opened top car driving between the floats & brass bands. Sitting up on the back of the car & waving proudly were two of the female cast from "Fair City"... a load of scumbies took great offence to this & pelted them with opened milk cartons - they were drenched in milk. I had to laugh!

• Advertisement

Ah the nostalgia of it. St Patricks day brings that out in ya. I used to be in a band that used to perform in Dublin and Sligo lame affairs... i mean parades. At least I knew when it was on then i suppose. :confused: No word yet from the Rossinver pigeon.

The pigeon finally came home to roost from Rossinver. Ah Sure its Manorhamiton St Patricks that was referred to and it is on this Sunday! Dont ask :confused:
    Anyway looks like St pats same as usual in Sligo on Tuesday then i presume! (Dont ask me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I just phoned Failte Ireland Sligo and they say the parade is on ...... St.Patrick's Day, leaves Mail Coach Road at 12pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Mrs.T wrote: »
    I just phoned Failte Ireland Sligo and they say the parade is on ...... St.Patrick's Day, leaves Mail Coach Road at 12pm

Call me pedantic but you mean 12 noon.

To quote the National Maritime Museum
    12 noon is neither a.m. nor p.m.

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used.The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon, the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Call me pedantic but you mean 12 noon.

To quote the National Maritime Museum
    12 noon is neither a.m. nor p.m.

To avoid confusion, the correct designation for twelve o'clock is 12 noon or 12 midnight. Alternatively, the twenty-four-hour-clock system may be used.The abbreviation a.m. stands for ante-meridiem (before the Sun has crossed the line) and p.m. for post-meridiem (after the Sun has crossed the line). At 12 noon, the Sun is at its highest point in the sky and directly over the meridian. It is therefore neither "ante-" nor "post-"

Pedantic :D

I also had this argument with myself before submitting the replay but seeing as I have a great excuse (baby brain) I don't really give a bleep! :D But thank you for pointing it out....

Advertisement