Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic..Bad Teacher

Options
  • 04-03-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm doing Yakov, Stalin's son for my hist research topic but I'm not sure now if it's a good idea for a topic..is the time span too long..etc..
    Anyway, my teacher is an actual joke and I've no idea how to structure the topic..I know there's an outline plan..an extended essay..but how do you write on the topic and how you researched it together :S..is it really complicated?? Can anyone link me to a sample research topic I could use as a template?? Can't find any myself..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

:eek:
    goose1 wrote: »
    I'm doing Yakov, Stalin's son for my hist research topic but I'm not sure now if it's a good idea for a topic..is the time span too long..etc..
    Anyway, my teacher is an actual joke and I've no idea how to structure the topic..I know there's an outline plan..an extended essay..but how do you write on the topic and how you researched it together :S..is it really complicated?? Can anyone link me to a sample research topic I could use as a template?? Can't find any myself..
    i know the feeling, i am doing the stasi and i aint started a thing, have 2 books i must start reaading! i dont know the layout of this thing at all, oh christ!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

There was a sample research study issued by the department a few years back if you can find it knocking about somewhere. Perhaps one of the other History teachers in your school might have one?

I did my Research Study, on the unconventional life of a certain famous Dublin Born figurative painter and his contribution to 20th century art, at the beginning of the year. I got an A1 grade on it so maybe I can help you guys out.

One piece of advice I could give is remember importance of the pronoun ''I''. Think CSPE Action Project in third year - it's all about what you hope to achieve and how you intend to research your topic (Eg. I picked such and such a topic because I always had an interest in it. I hope to cross reference my sources with reputable internet websites etc), what you did to research the topic (I went to the library, took notes on books... wrote a draft etc.), what you learnt (I discovered a huge volume of information about x's life, I improved my editing skills etc), what you thought etc. (What were the advantages/disadvantages of the sources used, if given the chance would you do any part of your research different etc.)

The structure of the extended essay is fairly simplistic.
    Make sure it has a beginning, middle and end and keep your facts straight. If you use any quotes/figures/statistics make sure they're referenced in some form to a reputable source. What you actually write in the essay isn't all that important as long as it's factual, relevant to your topic and within your said parameters given in your title (i.e if you have a particular 'spin' on a topic make sure you refer back to it in your essay) Unsurprisingly the more interesting and original a topic is the more it will impress an examiner. Every year too many people rely on the so called ''old favourites'' :D

On the topic of reputable sources make sure you don't cite ''the internet'' as one of your sources. Books usually look better as sources but if it's a reputable website, like the BBC History one, usually there's no problem with putting it down (just make sure you give the URL). Also documentaries, audio recordings etc can look really good in a research study and are worth mentioning.

To be honest once you get into it, the Research Study isn't actually too bad.
    You'll find your biggest problem is going to be cutting the Extended Essay down to the 1500 word limit (if you're doing Higher that is). My first Extended Essay draft was in the region of 4000 words :eek: Also don't forget your Review of Process at the end of the Extended Essay. It's worth 10 marks and has to be included in the 1500 words!

If you're completely clueless as to where to start the best place is your local library's History Section (trust me, the library is your FRIEND in this project :cool:). Also keep an eye out on any interesting documentaries on the History Channel and the like, you might see something you like. One you have your topic picked, get some good books and start reading! Once done you can do a rough draft and have a History Teacher have it a look at it. They can give you some valuable guidance if you're a bit lost in terms of direction. I hope that helps.

Remember the deadline for the RSR is early April, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

hmm cn you use documentaries made at the time like olympia(berlin olympics) as a sourceS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

If you think it's useful enough to cite as one of your three main sources then do. Just be careful that if the documentary is biased somehow (think Hitler and the Triumph of the Will :p) be sure to mention in the Evaluation of Sources that you noticed an element of bias in the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

THE REVIEW OF PROCESS IS MEANT TO BE INCLUDED IN THE 1500 WORDS??!!

Crap... And I'm already 200 words over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

What's the format for citing sources?

I know for a book it is
    Author, Title Published (Date of publication)

What's the format for web adddresses, documentaries and magazine articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Just bumping on this,

Are these the headings you need:
    Outline Plan
    Extended Essay
    Evalution of Sources

Do you have to put in a Review of research process aswell?

Just bumping on this,

Are these the headings you need:
    Outline Plan
    Extended Essay
    Evalution of Sources

Do you have to put in a Review of research process aswell?

Yes, it goes in at the end of your extended essay iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

phasers wrote: »
    Yes, it goes in at the end of your extended essay iirc

Ahh bolox and me sitting here for months thinking I'm finished! I'm gonna have to cut loads out to fit that in. :(:( Cheers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Does the outline plan and evalution of sources count towards the 1500 words?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

creggy wrote: »
    Does the outline plan and evalution of sources count towards the 1500 words?
    As far as I know, they don't ... thankfully the 'Review of research process' does, without it i'd be a few hundo words short

Ahh bolox and me sitting here for months thinking I'm finished! I'm gonna have to cut loads out to fit that in. :(:( Cheers anyways.

I know how you feel! I'm 200 words over without the review, and there's nothing I can really cut out without the essay sounding stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

im nearly 2000 words over! got a little carried away, handed my project to the teacher to check it and see what we could axe.. 4 weeks ago... there is only 2 of us in the class like! and still hadn't given it back to me when we went on easter break... so he said he'l ring me to discuss it and tell me what to take out.. thank god i typed it..!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

http://www.templehistory.dna.ie/research_topic.htm

This could possibly help?! I've got a pretty good teacher and she gave us loadsa notes with what exactly to put into each bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    What's the format for citing sources?

I know for a book it is
    Author, Title Published (Date of publication)

What's the format for web adddresses, documentaries and magazine articles?

Referencing in the actual essay is not required and won't get any extra marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

http://www.scoilnet.ie/hist/
    theres a pdf on how to do your topic on here! or theres a shortcuts to success book about how to do it that I have thats really helpful as well!

Advertisement