Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plum wine

Options
  • 04-03-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Can anyone clear up for me what plum wine is ? I've asked in the Food/Drink forum numerous times what it is and where I can get it but the answers have kinda confused me.

Plum wine isn't sake - correct ?:confused:

Yamamori do lovely plum wine but I don't know where in Dublin to get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

'Sake' can have two meanings - when heard outside of Japan, it's generally used to mean traditional Japanese rice wine (the Japanese call this 'nihonshu', which literally means 'Japanese alcohol'). In Japanese, 'sake' just means alcohol in general.

Plum wine is not the same as rice wine, as it's (surprise, surprise) made with plums! (although it can be made partly with nihonshu) The Japanese phrase for plum wine is 'umeshu'. There's an Asian market on Drury St. in Dublin city centre that has umeshu, among other tasty beverages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Thank you :)

I've got the Plum Wine from the Drury St market but I didn't think it was that nice (compared to Yamamori's yummy stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Umeshu is vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Umeshu is vile.

Your face is vile. Umeshu pwns your bones. Particularly with an actual ume plum with it. 酸っぱい!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Forget umeshu, has anyone seen the cherry version (maybe 'sakuranbo-shu'?) anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Umeshu is vile.

Sounds like you got the fake stuff. Izakawa is a downstairs basement bar on South Great Georges St. - you'll find it there, but don't expect change. I'll check druary st. too. Yukios don't sell it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Speaking of which, what is the Japanese for Zombie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Just ゾンビ.

脳うううううううううううううううう!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shtanto wrote: »
    Sounds like you got the fake stuff. Izakawa is a downstairs basement bar on South Great Georges St. - you'll find it there, but don't expect change. I'll check druary st. too. Yukios don't sell it anymore.

I lived in Japan for a few years, so I had plenty of the real stuff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

This thread is more suited to the Japan forum methinks so I've moved it there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Speaking of which, what is the Japanese for Zombie?

Are you speaking of the Zombie as in "Zombie Day" in Japan which is called Easter Sunday in the christian world and somebody rises from the dead ?

Advertisement