Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension - whether to transfer or not

Options
  • 04-03-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I have recently moved jobs and need to decide what to do with the pension from my old employment.

I can't transfer it to my new company plan as I'm not eliegible for this at the moment.

So my options are to:

A). Transfer to a Pension Transfer Bond,

B). Transfer to a PRSA,

or

C). Leave it where it is for the moment (this is the option I'm veering towards).

But to be honest, I don't really understand the various options and would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

JackieO wrote: »
    I have recently moved jobs and need to decide what to do with the pension from my old employment.

I can't transfer it to my new company plan as I'm not eliegible for this at the moment.

So my options are to:

A). Transfer to a Pension Transfer Bond,

B). Transfer to a PRSA,

or

C). Leave it where it is for the moment (this is the option I'm veering towards).

But to be honest, I don't really understand the various options and would appreciate any advice.

Is it a Defined Benefit or Contribution pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Its a defined contribution plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Assuming that you are soon to be eligible to join scheme that is one option or if you are unsure as to whether you will be staying in the new company, the prsa may be more flexible - Im assuming that you have less than 10 years service in your last job. Just make sure that you don't take back your own contributions less tax as it would be like throwing away your savings. Make sure it is invested in something similar to what it has been invested in as the fund is bound to have fallen a fair bit recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

The plan in my new company is DB, so don't know if its possible (or practical) to transfer the proceeds of a DC scheme into it. Maybe I then need to go with the PRSA option???

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

PRSA or Personal Retirement Bond then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

You probably have an AVC option with your new company. See what the charging structure is like.

Advertisement