Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm advice

• 05-03-2009 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am long time reader and think this is a great site because of the advice and tips given out.

I need to get an alarm fitted to our apartment. It is a two-bed and is pre-wired. Any suggestions of what to look for/avoid? I am not interested in any of dialing ones.

Also, any ideas of what I should expect to pay. Apartment is in Loughlinstown.

Regards & thanks in advance,

B.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi bjroche . For an apartment the Astec 63 is most suitable & the most straightforward.
    Don't mind the bashing some people here give Astec systems. We have been using them from the start with no proplems. Like any other system if they are installed correctly you will have no trouble with them
    You don't say what size the apartment is, but expect to pay between €650- €750 for a professionally installed system. Remember, legally you must only employ a PSA licenced installer.
    I will PM you our details & other installer in your area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I would go for a signet with a couple of remote fobs. Prices for apartments can start from 400 + vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Astec, HKC, Aritech all are good.

If installing yourself (like many in the current climate) the Astec is the simplest to install. They can also be supplied with a free installation manual designed for people with no previous alarm experience. The team at Astec are always at the end of the phone to give free helpful advice if you get stuck!

Expect to pay in the region of €300 for materials (perhaps less) for your apartment (with no dialler). You should be able to install your first alarm in a small place like that in a day if you have moderate DIY experience. It requires mains power, but connection is not much harder than connecting a standard plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mark2009

koolkid
    Don't mind the bashing some people here give Astec systems.
    +1
    Thanks for the help koolkid!

fishdog
    If installing yourself (like many in the current climate) the Astec is the simplest to install.
    +1

Advertisement