Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE - some questions!

• 05-03-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all -

Looking for some advice regarding doing the PGCE (Business/Economics) in the UK.

I have a degree in Economics and Sociology and went on to complete an MA in Economics.

1. Is the grant the same in Wales as it is in England? On the sites of some of the English colleges it states a grant of GBP 6,000. On the just over Swansea website it states GBP 4,200 but I think they pay half your fees. Could someone confirm this?
    2. There is a course in University of West England that offers Maths and Business which I am considering applying for to give me more subjects when I come home. However, will the teaching council recognise maths as it is not one of my degree subjects? Would this apply to business as well given that my degree is economics and would only really allow me to teach up to junior cert?

Any advice – especially on the second matter would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

2. There is a course in University of West England that offers Maths and Business which I am considering applying for to give me more subjects when I come home. However, will the teaching council recognise maths as it is not one of my degree subjects? Would this apply to business as well given that my degree is economics and would only really allow me to teach up to junior cert?

Any advice – especially on the second matter would be greatly appreciated.

Your qualification to teach a subject is determined only by your undergraduate degree, so the teaching council will not recognise Maths as one of your subjects on the basis of doing it as a methodology in the PDGE.

Depending on the precise content of your degree you might have an argument to teach business (or maybe Maths). It seems unlikely but it is something that the teaching council would clear up.

But forget any notion that the PGDE will qualify you to teach a specific subject. It is a teaching qualification and you take a subject as a model for teaching within the context of that course, but your qualification to teach a specific subject is determined solely by your degree. The MA is also irrelevant.

Advertisement