Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM question

Options
  • 05-03-2009 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I had 2 x 2 gigs of RAM in my computer until recently when one of the sticks failed. It then ran on the one 2 gig stick until I recently got a new 2 x 2gig set of RAM. It will only pick up the new set of 4 gigs now and won't recognise the other 2 gig stick unless i take the new set out. Was just wondering if there is any way to run the 6 gigs together?
    Old RAM:
    New RAM:
    Motherboard:
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Do you mean that the bios is only picking up 4gb or the operating system? If its the latter, you won't see more then 4GB under a 32-bit operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Do you mean that the bios is only picking up 4gb or the operating system? If its the latter, you won't see more then 4GB under a 32-bit operating system.

Yeah the bios is only picking up the 4gb new set (well actually showing as 3246mb or something similar in bios and showing as 4 gig in vista) and the bios won't pick up the old 2 gig stick which it had been running off before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

trogdor wrote: »
    Was just wondering if there is any way to run the 6 gigs together?
    Doubt it. Lots of motherboards will only allow 1,2 or 4 sticks. Looks like this is one of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

trogdor wrote:
    well actually showing as 3246mb or something similar in bios and showing as 4 gig in vista

Don't you mean the other way around?? BIOS should see the full amount and Vista 32 the reduced value; if not then you might have serious BIOS or mobo issues :(

And what voltage are you currently running your RAM at? If you tried to overvolt the OCZ (why the HELL does it need 2.0V+ to run at 800MHz???? :mad: ) while you had the old RAM module still installed you may have killed the old stick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Vista now showing the 6 gigs so it seems to have somehow sorted itself out..
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Don't you mean the other way around?? BIOS should see the full amount and Vista 32 the reduced value; if not then you might have serious BIOS or mobo issues :(
    No it was definately the bios showing the reduced value:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement