Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding somebody

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey all, Quick question - was put to me today that if you take somebody's car reg that you can find out this persons address. Surely that can only be done by Gardai etc? Pretty worrying if this is true - totally breaches privacy and security for people?? Anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

well if that's the case i'm fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not possible. AFAIK. Yes it would be a breach of Privacy.

May be a better question for a different forum though. Motor's, Legal, Gardai, AH. I doubt there are many here who would have definite information on this.*

*Not that ye don't know stuff lads, it's just, feck all of ye are actually from Cork, and as we all know, Only Cork(city) people actually know stuff!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Theres a way yes. No different to when youre buying a car; you can go to a site or a car dealer with reg, you pay most sites about 90 quid to give you a history of the car, any thefts, crashes etc, also a list of registered owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 em6

Cable, That's very worrying! So basically somebody can take my reg and find out where I live? That's scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Its the big brother society..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Ya I cant remember if the address is given or not. But I know a guy I worked with was buying a car, got it checked on the site, it said it had a crash that wasnt reported by the dealer selling it. My buddy went back and was able to track down the previous owner (without going through the dealer) to find out what kind of crash or how much damage. So it's possible yeah with a bit of effort.

If you really want I can ask him how he did it, although he's really lazy so probably looked the name in the phone book and got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

http://www.motorcheck.ie/

This gives a history, gotta pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

em6 wrote: »
    Cable, That's very worrying! So basically somebody can take my reg and find out where I live? That's scary!

Or they can see your car outside your house and know where you live. Or they can look in the phone book and get your name and address. There are a number of gov and third party agencies that have full access to vehicle reg data.
    Anyone thats ever asked your name, address, reg number will have it. Even hotels where you fill out the checkin card with your reg number can search by reg number. I've seen a Dublin hotel with a led display at the entrance to their carpark, their reg plate recognition translated the number into the guest name and 'Good evening Mr x' came up on the display!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

People who work in Motor Tax offices used to be able to check those details on computer - don't know if they still can.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Cant understand why you would be worried about this unless youve done something wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Garda here.
    It's only government agencies who have access to this information by rights. (Gardai, Revenue, etc)
    This information cant be released to any member of the public legally, Due to the data protection act.
    Any person who access' this info needs to account for why they access it and if thay can't, there can be serious questions to answer.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Those motor check websites will give you mileage, crash damage, outstanding finance etc but won't give you details of any current or previous owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

castie wrote: »
    Cant understand why you would be worried about this unless youve done something wrong?

A bunch of kids in town have been harassing me on and off for 6 months, I don't want them following me to my car, then finding out where my house is ... Or that wierdo in the gym who stood watching me jogging on the treadmill for 5 minutes - he seemed to be fascinated by my feet and/or legs. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

No I've got fairly small feet ...

From what I've heard he stares at women a lot and is regarded as a local "character" who's harmless and best just ignore him ...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement