Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up to America

• 05-03-2009 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here knows the implications of backing up to America! found a really cheap system for between $50-$150 a year per computer for unlimited backups. Its a nice setup and works well but not sure if its the proper way of doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Can you expand your requirements? Is it a small office? How many PCs? Any servers? Importance of the data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭namit

All small medium business with average out at 1 sever and 8 computers. Data would be mainly emails, documents, excel files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Acronis + Rsync

Acronis is only something like 400usd and rsync is free.
    Just back it up to a remote site incrementally after moving an initial backup over.

When it comes to something like this, you get what you pay for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how long would it take to get all the data back, hours , days ?

can you recover the data in 7 years time ?

what happens if the US company goes bankrupt or gets hacked or the client stops paying ?
    if the data is really confidential , medical records and stuff then our data protection laws are different to theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭namit

how long would it take to get all the data back, hours , days ?
    Depends on how much you have, easy to restore files and some of them have option where they will ship you hard disk.

can you recover the data in 7 years time ?
    Yes suppose so i used idrive around a year ago and loged in there last week and my files where still there.

what happens if the US company goes bankrupt or gets hacked or the client stops paying ?
    Sure thats same problem if its Irish company.

if the data is really confidential , medical records and stuff then our data protection laws are different to theirs.
    Yes this was my main problem with it, but its a 12th of the price of any irish company so i am weighing up cost with that, and i do not have anything to hide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Do you have permission to send client PI/sensitive data out of Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

I see this all over the place,and I sell this stuff for a living.Cheap is not the best,a local in Country provider should be able to give you the data back from their local data center in a few hours/NBD depending on the size of a potential restore.which is what you need when you have a client that needs to get back in action quickly.
    Also a local on site disk to disk solution is also advisable,ideally a bare metal image based product.Acronis/Symantec/R1soft etc with retention.
    Backing up email ie exchange stores will also be dependant on the size of the store/retention period/bandwidth available.
    Even using a combination of differential and incrementals to minimise the upload nightly.

Do a search for problems with "whatever provider you are looking at choosing" and look at the volume of customer issues with these type of cheap setups.

Advertisement