Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PD's?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Where are they?
    I know there's only two of them in there but they couldn't be more invisible. seems to me that if there was any part in Govt right now had the ability (or the policies) to make a difference it would have been them. I understand they are in the process of dissolving but looks like they threw in the towel after the last elections and are just sitting there to pass the time.
    After the last decade of "economic liberalisation" it's hard to tell who will fill the void they leave behind, so where is Ireland headed without them to balance the vote? (and I'm not talking about mary harney's weight distribution)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The PDs disbanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

solas wrote: »
    Where are they?
    I know there's only two of them in there but they couldn't be more invisible. seems to me that if there was any part in Govt right now had the ability (or the policies) to make a difference it would have been them. I understand they are in the process of dissolving but looks like they threw in the towel after the last elections and are just sitting there to pass the time.
    After the last decade of "economic liberalisation" it's hard to tell who will fill the void they leave behind, so where is Ireland headed without them to balance the vote? (and I'm not talking about mary harney's weight distribution)

They disbanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

jhegarty wrote: »
    The PDs disbanded.
    solas wrote:
    I understand they are in the process of dissolving
    If i'm not mistaken the current govt is a coalition of FF Greens and Pd's.
    they still hold two seats (harney still being minister for health and children).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Harney is now acting essentially as an independent.

Harney is now acting essentially as an independent.

I didn't know that. I thought they weren't going to be dissolved formally until the end of this year. I was going to ask How does a coalition work less one of the party's but the answer seems a bit obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

While the Progressive Democrats are still on the register of political parties, both Mary Harney and Noel Grealish are considered independants, and so far neither has shown any inclination to join a new party.

The YPDs have officially disbanded, but a new liberal grouping is in the process of forming (it is not a political party)

While the Progressive Democrats are still on the register of political parties, both Mary Harney and Noel Grealish are considered independants, and so far neither has shown any inclination to join a new party.

shame, we could do with a new party. thanks for the replies.

The YPDs have officially disbanded, but a new liberal grouping is in the process of forming (it is not a political party)

care to expand?

solas wrote: »
    care to expand?
    At the moment its just setting up.
    Its going to be "an independant alliance of liberals" (one term used) desiegned to promote liberalism in Ireland.
    Its in the very early stages, and its final form will depend upon the temporary committee that has been set up to create the group.
    More will be known in a few weeks (it will not contest the locals)

FYI its acting chair is on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

At the moment its just setting up.
    Its going to be "an independant alliance of liberals" (one term used) desiegned to promote liberalism in Ireland.
    Its in the very early stages, and its final form will depend upon the temporary committee that has been set up to create the group.
    More will be known in a few weeks (it will not contest the locals)

FYI its acting chair is on boards.

Forming out of the YPDs or the PDs?

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Forming out of the YPDs or the PDs?
    YPDs but its not limited to former members at all. It won't be YPD 2.0

YPDs but its not limited to former members at all. It won't be YPD 2.0

Good. :p

Will its focus be mainly social liberalism or economic liberalism?

Good. :p

Will its focus be mainly social liberalism or economic liberalism?
    You can't have one without the other.;)

Both, but obviously different members will have different priorities.

You can't have one without the other.;)

Pinochet begs to differ... :p

Pinochet begs to differ... :p
    And look where that got him.:P
    Ungrateful bastards didn't even give him a state funeral.

Beddy-byes for me now, night night.

Advertisement