Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why not?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Inspired by the mention of a government bond, I was wondering something, maybe its stupid, i don't know. We pay more interest servicing our loans than most other EU countries. Our National Pension Reserve funds has alot of money accumulated which is invested. Why not instead of borrowing from international markets, borrow from the NPRF, and pay the same or less interest on those loans meaning we can control the rates we pay and grow our reserve fund at the same time. I know someone smarter than me thinks this is ridiculous for many reasons but I was thinking about it and thought I'd throw it out there....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

They've already tapped into the NPRF afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

They've already tapped into the NPRF afaik.

for the bank capitalization yeah but would it not make more sense to borrow for current spending there too and keep the flow of money internal and control rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TGPS

cm2000 wrote: »
    Inspired by the mention of a government bond, I was wondering something, maybe its stupid, i don't know. We pay more interest servicing our loans than most other EU countries. Our National Pension Reserve funds has alot of money accumulated which is invested. Why not instead of borrowing from international markets, borrow from the NPRF, and pay the same or less interest on those loans meaning we can control the rates we pay and grow our reserve fund at the same time. I know someone smarter than me thinks this is ridiculous for many reasons but I was thinking about it and thought I'd throw it out there....

The NPRF isn't a pile of cash. A lot of it is tied up in investments in different assets - if we raid it we have to sell the assets at knockdown prices - generating significant losses.

The fund also has to maintain a certain cash reserve - if we tap that we still have sell assets to maintain the reserve.

Given the cost of borrowing, it's probably still cheaper even for Ireland to borrow, rather tha take a big hit on the fund.

Advertisement