Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the casual work situation like in your city???

Options
  • 05-03-2009 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm in Perth now, and its seems impossible to get any sort of work while on a working holiday visa. I'm going to leave here soon.

Any Ideas on good places to go?

How is everyone else finding the job hunt in their location??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What sort of work are you looking for in Perth?

AFAIK the situation here is better than most of the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

I was looking for work in bars, restaurants, shops, labouring ect. I'll do anything realy!
    What line of work are you in?

I'm a journalist, but I'm also a citizen so I don't have the same hassles as those on WHV.

It is gettin very tough to get work here in comparison to have it was when I first arrived two years ago. Sign of the times I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 picotto

Do you need any help. I'm a good worker!:)

Heh, not right now. We just laid off a dozen people last week so I'm keeping my head down for a bit and lookin after number 1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

picotto wrote: »
    I'm in Perth now, and its seems impossible to get any sort of work while on a working holiday visa. I'm going to leave here soon.

Any Ideas on good places to go?

For the sort of work you are looking for ....Dublin

Casual work is like hens teeth in Oz

Edit sorry I forgot try the outer areas rather than the big cities, MJD says there is work out there.

I was once told Ethuca has a bit going

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Casual work? where? magical work! its at the other end of the rainbow beside the lottery

Its seriously hard everywhere man. Keep trying Perth while your there. just got a job in MACCAS! so visit swanston street if you wanna say hello to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mobooo wrote: »
    Casual work? where? magical work! its at the other end of the rainbow beside the lottery

Its seriously hard everywhere man. Keep trying Perth while your there. just got a job in MACCAS! so visit swanston street if you wanna say hello to me!

Good man Mobooo... !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Casual work is hard to come by but keep plugging away. I got lucky, well sort of, I'm in Target. Theyre hiring at the minute but only kids cos they can pay them like 8bucks an hour instead of the normal min. wage rate.
    Looking for a real job for a while but still no luck. Really frustrating but have to keep trying. Might have to look into rural work soon though. :D

Advertisement