Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Beers 14th March 2009

• 05-03-2009 8:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Queen of awesome sammag and myself are trying to organize a Melbourne meetup for some of the regulars and newbies. A couple of people tentatively discussed getting together for St Patrick's Day but as it is midweek decided it might be a better idea to meet up on the Saturday (14-03-2009) beforehand.

What say you people? I want to see some of the regular boardsies (missannik, One Cold Hand, neon_glows, Zambia232 et al) that couldn't make the last one and those who did come back for a second bite of the cherry.

Show your interest below and lets do this thing :cool:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

awww, sounds good bro, if my visa doesnt come through ill be in melbourne in april hopefully to see elbow (they're sold out, but im pretty determined).

meanwhile however, am waiting for photos of the last melbourne beers

*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Sounds good CF.

Yeah whatever happened to those pics? Then again they're probably better off not made public. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Star i got that job so it depends on that! but ill be there

Mobooo wrote: »
    Star i got that job so it depends on that! but ill be there
    Good work. Look forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

dSTAR wrote: »
    Sounds good CF.

Yeah whatever happened to those pics? Then again they're probably better off not made public. :o

id intended hassling majd about it for a while longer, but then the fires, and i figured i'd cut her a little slack...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Good man dSTAR :D

So where we gonna go?

Here's a few ideas from myself for starters:

http://www.murmur.com.au
    http://www.horsebazaar.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Queen of awesome sammag and myself are trying to organize a Melbourne meetup for some of the regulars and newbies. A couple of people tentatively discussed getting together for St Patrick's Day but as it is midweek decided it might be a better idea to meet up on the Saturday (14-03-2009) beforehand.

What say you people? I want to see some of the regular boardsies (missannik, One Cold Hand, neon_glows, Zambia232 et al) that couldn't make the last one and those who did come back for a second bite of the cherry.

Show your interest below and lets do this thing :cool:

Thanks for the invite, but I'm going to Sound Relief... if it were the Friday I'd be in. :)

Sammag wrote: »
    So where we gonna go?
    Horse Bazaar is a good call. A good mate of mine DJ's there as well and at the Workshop. Open to anything tho'...

Just back from the Cherry Bar in AC~DC Lane. Mate they have the right idea. Some dingy bar down an alley serving up retro tunes is always a win. Reminded me of my early days at Bruxelles when it was split into mods and rockers.

Horse Bazaar is a good call. A good mate of mine DJ's there as well and at the Workshop. Open to anything tho'...

Just back from the Cherry Bar in AC~DC Lane. Mate they have the right idea. Some dingy bar down an alley serving up retro tunes is always a win. Reminded me of my early days at Bruxelles when it was split into mods and rockers.

Cherry Bar is one of the best bars in Mellers. Jaysus I used to live in Bruxelles in the Mod/Indie side and venture over to the Rocker side on the odd occassion - normally after a few beers as at the start, when sober, that side always seemed a tad scary :D Bruxelles downstairs was a total dive wasn't it, but they're always the best bars, reminds me of some of my fave bars in NY & Chicago and the ones you get a lot of in the U.S. in general.

Was in Murmur a few weeks back, it's classed as a 'Cuban' bar, but to be honest I didn't get too much Cuban influence in fairness. It's located in a former coffee and spices warehouse. Chesterfield chairs, exposed beams etc... A very nice place, moody lighting, and a good seating area for groups. There's also a fab pizza joint downstairs: http://www.portellorosso.com.au/

Cherry Bar is one of the best bars in Mellers. Jaysus I used to live in Bruxelles

Was in Murmur a few weeks back...very nice place, moody lighting, and a good seating area for groups.
    Cherry Bar has a ghetto vibe about it which is kinda cool. I totally dig on bars that are not filled with the usual vanilla and have a bit more of an edge. Ditto for Bruxelles which was the place where I had my first drink at the tender age of 14. Damn feels so long ago now :-(

I am liking the sound of Murmur. Exposed beams and moody lighting is right up my alley. They have DJ's every Saturday night which is cool. It is a short walk to Flinders Street station too which is handy.

As I mentioned to you yesterday a long time friend and resident of the same neighborhood as us is coming back to Melbourne after a year back in Dublin. He played with The Big Geraniums and was a well known face on the music / busking circuit in Dublin. Hopefully he will be here for the knees up because he is very good value aside form being massively talented.

He plays with Melbourne formed band The Backgarden Heavyweights which is a complete departure from his early days with a chilled Goldfrapp/New Order/Crystal Method kinda joint. We talked about setting up regular nights here when he gets his life back on track. Comin' atcha soon :)

/Ends promo

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember them, they were a great band. Funny, I think I might have seen them play live in my sister's ex's old pub in Finsbury park in London - The George Roby...

Which one is your mate - is it Neil or possibly Dara?

Yeah I remember them, they were a great band. Funny, I think I might have seen them play live in my sister's ex's old pub in Finsbury park in London - The George Roby...

Which one is your mate - is it Neil or possibly Dara?
    Dara is my boy. He played at all the Irish festivals in Finsbury Park as well as playing in front of a jam packed crowd of 30 odd thousand people at Feile in the 1990's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have to check my mythical roster that no one is showing me but If I am about i will pop by

MAJD are you and the big fella going to make an appearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nah - not this time - Eamo works weekends member so Fri/Sat night is always out for him unless he's feeling majorly 'special effort', and as he's only just back to work after a couple of days off (spent in the CFA on TFB days) I donna think so.

Nah - not this time - Eamo works weekends member so Fri/Sat night is always out for him unless he's feeling majorly 'special effort', and as he's only just back to work after a couple of days off (spent in the CFA on TFB days) I donna think so.
    That's a pity. I would've liked to have seen you both and shouted you a drink for your on the ground reports of the bushfires and the work Eamo did on the fire trucks. It was a bit of a spontaneous one this time but I am sure there will be another seisuin in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'll come along. Just let me know where and when :)

the dee wrote: »
    I'll come along. Just let me know where and when :)
    Excellent. Make sure you take that fella of yours along.

We could probably kick it off in Horse Bazaar or Murmur and take it from there.

Stay tuned for updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Could you stick up the address of these places before the date?New to Melbourne and want to check out a few places. Anniversary night on the 14th with ze lady though so not too sure we'll make it.Hopefully the next one though!

OK I am going to take the lead and suggest we meet up in The Irish Times first around 8pm and then bounce somewhere else later. Most of the bars suggested above stay open until 3am and being a Saturday night don't usually take off until after 11pm. The Irish Times is familiar territory and is good as a meeting place.

• Advertisement

OK I am going to take the lead and suggest we meet up in The Irish Times first around 8pm and then bounce somewhere else later. Most of the bars suggested above stay open until 3am and being a Saturday night don't usually take off until after 11pm. The Irish Times is familiar territory and is good as a meeting place.

Excellent idea - and sure what with the day that's in it (well 3 days later) we may as well start off our alcoholic beverage consumption in a good aul Oirish bar - to be sure, be de hokey! :P

Excellent idea - and sure what with the day that's in it (well 3 days later) we may as well start off our alcoholic beverage consumption in a good aul Oirish bar - to be sure, be de hokey! :P
    Well actually I am on commission :D

I might make that as I am on a course on Queen st. However I think the wife has made plans.

For anyone who does not know it The Irish Times is on little Collins st of Queen St. Best Train station would be flinders st station.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I might make that as I am on a course on Queen st. However I think the wife has made plans.
    Bring her along and then take her out somewhere special to make up for watching you get on the sauce :D

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I might make that as I am on a course on Queen st.

Zambia - do you live in Queen St.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Don't think I'll make this unfortunately. A good friend of mine gets to Melb on Saturday, so I'll be catching up with him.

Enjoy!

Zambia - do you live in Queen St.?

Good god No ... But I am getting to know the city fairly well.

I live in Muddy Ponds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katiekins

Ooh, I think this may have been mooted a while back when I was trying to decide whether to go to Oz on my own.

I did, am in Sydney (loving it) and will arrive in Melbourne on the 13th.

Anyone mind if I tag along for drinks?

Going to back to post on old thread to Melbourne advice now, but would be great to get it in person!

katiekins wrote: »
    Anyone mind if I tag along for drinks?
    Depends if you can handle the pace ;)

Kicking off in The Irish Times at 8pm.

Bring your A Game :D

• Advertisement

katiekins wrote: »

Oi! There's only room for one Katie on Saturday night!

Joke! :D

Advertisement