Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor, Three or O2?

• 05-03-2009 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So I've been with O2 for about 9 years, and the service is great, but they're the most expensive network in Ireland. I have a business account and my monthly bills are usually around €800.

I was thinking of switching to Meteor or Three to make a significant savings, but I've heard stories about bad reception, crappy service, etc - I know this was the case when Meteor first launched; I could never get through to my 085 pals & coverage was rubbish! Can anyone confirm if this is still the case years later? And what about Three?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

bad reception with meteor is a myth now, it used to be like that in the early days. the network has vastly improved and over the west of ireland you roam on the VF network so. Not sure about three but i believe their coverage is mainly in the cities... like cork/dublin/galway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Cool - what about international roaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

international roaming is not an issue, they have over 140 international roaming agreements.

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/roaming/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

With 3 you can roam at no extra cost in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Italy Sweden and the UK.

But roaming outside that can be a nightmare. I've been to two countries: The Netherlands and Croatia, where roaming was supposed to work but I got no coverage. There's also and issue where if you send a text to or from certain networks abroad, for some reason an acknowlegement is never received so either you or the person you texted gets the text hundreds of times until it expires.

They're great for roaming on other 3 networks but I can't recommend them outside that. For roaming the networks go in this order imo:

Vodafone
    O2
    Meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

O2 have €99 pre vat all texts and calls to Irish mobiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

jon1981 wrote: »
    bad reception with meteor is a myth now, it used to be like that in the early days. the network has vastly improved and over the west of ireland you roam on the VF network so. Not sure about three but i believe their coverage is mainly in the cities... like cork/dublin/galway...

3 have 89% 3g coverage with the rest of the country (99.5%) covered by vodafone (both these percentages are population coverage)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

I'm with meteor and have never had any problems with reception:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Meteor; good value, and their coverage is as good as Voda and O2.

But the call quality can be frustratingly patchy at times and I experienced a lot of dropped calls. Since I moved to O2 a few months back, I never experience dropped calls and call quality is perfect.

Don't spend any of my calls going "What? What? I can't hear y... Oh you're back agai.. wait you're gone again.. hello? ... Oh hi, I can hear you now. Can you hear me? .. Hallelujah!" like I used to on Meteor.

Advertisement