Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harsh treatment in the Emergency Services forum

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

esel wrote: »
    Your dry humour
    Dry, am I? [EMAIL="F@#k"]F@#k[/EMAIL] you!:D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So, did we decide anything (except that Deadwood is dry and I get a Get Out Of Jail free card... thats how that works right? :p)

We're keeping the forum open.

Regulars wont tackle things on their own but use the report button.

We arent going to tolerate "me mate got bashed for an ounce" threads.

We will bite our tongues and realise not everyone is having a go.

Anything else?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

esel wrote: »
    K, afaik, requested and got a name change to Eru for, I think, privacy reasons. Therefore, I would ask one of the mods to consider deleting all mention on the K word in this thread, including where the post I have quoted was also quoted by others.

He made his name public, so tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Boston wrote: »
    He made his name public, so tough.

Actually I never used my real name on Boards however a number of users do know it. Unfortunately because I was so pathetic in picking a username people kept guessing my name :(
    Esel,
    Yahoo may well do it for me but likewise, the anti-cop sites and legal sites will allow people to post their complaints about the police and seek legal advise so really it could be argued that the es forum offers nothing that cant be found elsewhere. Theres also plenty of private forums on Boards. You dont notice them and it doesnt effect you so why against my idea? I really dont see the problem with having a private sub forum. Sub forum, not making the es forum itself private. As Deadwood said, sometimes we may want to discuss our jobs where management also cant see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I tried to edit my post to remove his old name, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I tried to edit my post to remove his old name, but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Actually I would rather you removed the insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Calling you "rude" is not an insult in my book, unless it's an untruth designed to hurt you and not a valid opinion held by the person.

seamus wrote: »
    Calling you "rude" is not an insult in my book, unless it's an untruth designed to hurt you and not a valid opinion held by the person.

Funny because I was banned for calling someone stupid which is also an opinion held. Also, isnt part of this thread because of opinions I have expressed about people? That Im being mean and rude to people? isnt it the same for me? The Attack the post not the poster rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Stupid is somethin ppl can't help. Rude isn't.

honestly man, spread the love. Don't be rude to people and the punters will start 'spectin you again :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Eru wrote: »
    Funny because I was banned for calling someone stupid which is also an opinion held. Also, isnt part of this thread because of opinions I have expressed about people? That Im being mean and rude to people? isnt it the same for me? The Attack the post not the poster rule?

If you have a problem with the post report it. Let's not drag this discussion off its tracks.

• Advertisement

Edit, Ok Parsi but the thread is about being nice and not rude. Does anyone know how long it takes the mods to look at a reported post and if you will ever find out if they agree or disagree with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Eru in his prior guise and myself had a discussion back in November in ES about the handgun ban. I don't think I'd call him rude as such, but Eru, you definitely could be characterised as "brusque" :D And you do seem to tend to demand more from others w.r.t. levels of citation. But "rude" isn't really fair, because "rude" would be to say "eff off y'eejit" and not talk with the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very different things going on here. Calling someone "stupid" is deliberately offensive. You could have called them "ignorant" instead. It's the difference between saying, "You're a f*cking prick" and, "I can't quite take to you, sorry".

I've seen your reported posts. I don't agree with any of the reasons you've presented. Saying someone is "rude" I believe is a valid presentation of fact/opinion and is no way intended to upset or insult the person on the receiving end. That's the difference. Saying someone is "stupid" is in fact intended to insult and upset them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Edit, Ok Parsi but the thread is about being nice and not rude. Does anyone know how long it takes the mods to look at a reported post and if you will ever find out if they agree or disagree with you?

I'm not sure if they respond directly but if they agree you may see the poster getting infracted, a banning maybe or indeed an in-thread comment to calm things down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

DeVore wrote: »
    So, did we decide anything (except that Deadwood is dry and I get a Get Out Of Jail free card... thats how that works right? :p)

We're keeping the forum open.

Regulars wont tackle things on their own but use the report button.

We arent going to tolerate "me mate got bashed for an ounce" threads.

We will bite our tongues and realise not everyone is having a go.

Anything else?

DeV.

I am delighted this thread has gone the way that it did; The attitude over in ES has already changed and i'm delighted I had pretty much curtailled my posts in it as i found even just reading comments made by members used to annoy me and I found myself deleting written but unposted posts after re-reading them as I would be just have been contributing to the WUM'ing

Sparks wrote: »
    Eru in his prior guise and myself had a discussion back in November in ES about the handgun ban. I don't think I'd call him rude as such, but Eru, you definitely could be characterised as "brusque" :D And you do seem to tend to demand more from others w.r.t. levels of citation. But "rude" isn't really fair, because "rude" would be to say "eff off y'eejit" and not talk with the other person.

I can accept that critisism and if thats how I appear than a more careful approach is clearly needed before I hit the post button. I hope through our prior discussion that you saw it was not my intention to be rude with people as apposed to having a more direct aproach in what I say. The Des thread for example, I was accused of being rude but it was a full and comprehesive answer to the question.

Seamus,
    if your saying calling someone rude and / or ignorant is ok because they believe its a fair assesment of a personality then so be it. I dont want to make a federal case out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement