Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETW-Naval Warfare kicking my ass!

Options
  • 05-03-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Anyone else find that they are getting their asses handed to them with the naval battles? No matter how hard I try being tactical etc it always end up in a mish mash war of attrition, formations go out the window after the initial barrages are fired. Has anyone got the hang of them yet?

Comments

I lost my first Naval Battle against a Pirate , i followed him with another ship and defeted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Stole this from another forum but it works a treat

Tactic:

1. Take out the mainmast with the chainball ammo from a far, they can't move around that much anymore.
    2. Change ammo to normal cannon bals, try to hit it just below the waterline, it will start taking water.
    3. Change to shrapnel, get up close and finish them with fatalilty.
    4. Make your ships sail in a singe file line, don't go screwing around with solo actions. Or make 2 singe file lines far enough away to not hit your own ships. I don't know, try different strategies and tactics.
    5. Time the salvo, wait for it. Reloading a cannon is a bitch

I found that the key to success was to move all the ships as a group

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got my ass handed to me yesterday by pirates too :/ its a nice feathure though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I haven't had too much trouble with them. It's important to group, move the ships in a group in single file, and turn off the auto-fire feature - use the manual buttons for loading and firing. The auto-fire off thing is really important I think. Otherwise your cannons just fire higgidly piggidly 2 or 3 at a time. Not nearly as effective as a well timed barrage of 20+ guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Try "crossing the T" guys.
    Line your ships up in a straight line and head straight for their line cutting them in two. Your ships should be able to unload broadsides on both sides as they move through the line.

Chances are that one of your ships will collide with theirs. Don't worry about it too much as you'll be unloading broadsides into them and they won't be able to fire back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just finished a multiplayer game with my mate, United Provinces vs GB. Let's just say awesome doesn't even come close. He went for a a mixed small ships and large ones were i went as a brute force method. Btw crossing T's only works for the initial engagement as once the you get the first shots off all hell breaks loose! Anyway long story short we were left with a 3v2 situation and it ended up a giant chase sequence into the win! My two ships were picked off in a fairly annoying fashion and my last ship,ironically my most powerful ship but completely crippled, was left. Then dew to my cunning gunning tactics i routed his general. 1v1 with only 2 minutes on the clock left. I got in a few shots and the routing flag started to flash. Was just about to finish it off when the timer ran short. Que massive shouting and laughing over ts and a good saved game file.

This needs to be played with friends with voice chat, it's bloody awesome in so many ways! 60 minutes of pure entertainment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

can all the ships be used for transporting troops?

Is it possible to rename ships ?

Advertisement