Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The other side: Irelands Nature raped by Mankind?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Ireland is best-known all around the world for its beautiful and exiting nature. One of the most beautiful places in the world. But in many cases, this nature is raped by mankind. This site wants to name and shame such places. With your help. Maybe some will start to think then. Hopefully.

Are you interested? Then please support our new Website http://irishnaturealert.blogspot.com by visiting us and sending us pictures. Just to let some people maybe start thinking ...

Thank you :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Littering is one of our biggest probloms IMO. You cant talk a walk or a drive anywhere in the country without seeing rubbish scattered all along the sides of the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Threecastles

stevoman wrote: »
    Littering is one of our biggest probloms IMO.
    Yes, it definetely is :-(
    That's why we try to do a very little something now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Best of luck with it but it's all too negative for me and it won't get to those who are the real problem. I know areas where both local politicans and residents are doing great work to protect their environment but others just mess it up (deliberate littering , broken amenities etc) and namimg those areas will shame nobody but the very people who are trying to protect it. Name & Shame on a Blog will not reach the required audience and even if it did they won't care less.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ireland is best-known all around the world for its beautiful and exiting nature. One of the most beautiful places in the world. But in many cases, this nature is raped by mankind. This site wants to name and shame such places. With your help. Maybe some will start to think then. Hopefully.
    Instead of just taking pictures and putting them in a blog, why not report these cases to the people who can at least try to do something about it, i.e. The National Illegal Dumping Hotline on 1850 365 121.

Also see http://www.pureproject.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Threecastles

Thanks for your comments.
    Been a little lazy with the details :-(

Of course we also want to highlight projects who actually take care of the nature.

We would love to bring old/new pictures of mess being cleaned up a.s.o.

And we definitely will report and try to work together with various organisations.

Not just Name & Shame, that's correct. So we removed this saying from the Info-Line. You're right.

Page is a working process - let's see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

Is this just not showing Ireland up as a dump on the net?
    Those who dump in the first place don't give a sh£te so it really will have no effect. Why not organise Volunteer groups to clean these places up and lobby local councillors to do their jobs and enforce fines or clean up?
    At least this way the problem is solved. Advertising it achieves what??

I have to agree with Myggel. Why not actually get out there like many of us and do something about it. It smacks of a blog for the sake of a blog. It won't reach the desired audience (if any at all).
    Every Local Authority has active litter wardens and environmental staff who from my experience are great at catching culprits and why not just go straight to them instead of moaning on a web site about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Many parts of Ireland are a dump.

Everywhere you look, there is rubbish.

It is one thing that visitors notice.

Like the beer cans, bottles and fast food meals and wrappers dumped on graves in Donegal Town.

In one place in Scotland schools used to have a Bruck collecting day. But given the type of stuff being left around these days?

There are here some FAS schemes; picking up litter along the main roads.

Needs the laws enforced; but using the internet is a start.

and often a good one.

Easy to criticise also. example is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It smacks of a blog for the sake of a blog.
    AKA slacktivism.
    i don't think anything will change till policing of the issue improves. and anyone convicted of illegal dumping should be put on a chain gang pulling nappies out of the sand on dollymount (though i believe dollymount is a hell of a lot cleaner than it used to be).

unfortunately, local authorities often don't seem to want to deal with the issue. i contacted meath council on behalf of a fried who found several tons of C&D waste buried in her back garden (new build), and meath council *insisted* it was her issue since she had bought the house; it was comical trying to deal with them. someone from the department of the environment was quite happy to spend 20 minutes on the phone to me explaining what my options were and that yes, meath council were responsible for policing such dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's "C&D" waste?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

construction and demolition.
    we found blocks, lumps of concrete (one about two foot across), and a section of wall comprised of about a dozen blocks, amongst other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Do what i do its not nice but sometimes it really works, a pair of latex gloves and look trough the bags of rubbish, you mite just find something with a address on it, get in touch with them and let them know you will report them unless its cleand up. I know it wont solve the problem but every little help. It makes my blood boil to see the way rubbish is left around the roads

Better again, contact the Council as I do and they will prosecute the offenders. Why let them off by giving them the chance to tidy it up and get away with it??

Advertisement