Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misuse of Ancients

Options
  • 05-03-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

The more i think about the story and timelines behind the ancients story line the crapier it gets. first of all for all their intelligence and technology they had to leave their own galaxy because of the Ori and then got their asses kicked by the wraith, a bloody species they accidently made! and then, in comparison to the ancients, a bunch knuckle draggers from earth manage to defeat or seriously damage both in a very short space of time. just taking that viewpoint alone makes the ancients look like the school geek who keeps getting beat up.

and secondly we shouldnt have the slightest idea how their tech works. Thor (buddy) said in an SG1 episode that the asgard had been studying ancient tech for many thousands of years and still had only scratched the surface. if the bloody asgard cant get their heads around it how the hell did cavemen, because thats what we are in comparison.

When the ancients were first mentioned i loved the idea of them and epiosdes of o neill gettin the ancient database downloaded into his brain were great but the longer they went on the writers seriously devalued and dumbed them down while still claiming they were the smartest ever. they should have kept the ancients more mysterious altho where that leaves atlantis is another story. rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

the asguard had been studying the anchient libray of knowledge for "as long as he can remember" which would date back over 10,000- 20,000 years - is that how long the asguard have been cloning themseves for?

it was over 20,000 years ago when they launched the ship which drifted "for milenia" between the two galaxys before arriving in the milky way

So your point is 100% correct if after such a legenth of the humans should not understand any of it.

The worst examples are like the REAL last episode of SG1 (season 8 mobies parts 1&2) anyway in part 2 sam (who had never heard or even seen anchient tech somehow manages to

1. Open the right pannel
    2. Take out the right chip/crystal thing
    3. Grab a fibe optic wire, touch it off the crystal thing to begin repairing the cloak...

It was a great episode but that never made any sense whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

ya even little things like that just get annoying when you actually stop to think about them.. i just think they wasted a great race and turned them into also rans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I tend to think of the Ancients as a race of people who developed to a point where they'd nowhere else to go as such, they had all the technology they could ever need and what have you, so they came up with this idea of going around the Universe putting humans on planets and watching what happens - like a gigantic Sims game. As soon as something bad happened, they fecked off elsewhere and started again. They were beat out by the Ori, then the Goa'uld got a foothold in the Milky Way, then the Wraith in Pegasus. They were so arrogant that they couldn't conceive the idea of anyone bettering them at anything, and when it did happen they ran away

i thought the gouald have only been around a short time (considering the anchients left 10,000 years ago) i thought they popped up about 7 or 8000 years ago

Have they? Or have they only been using human's as hosts for that long, cos they used the Unas previously, till they discovered humans could use Ancient tech and thereby steal it all and take over the galaxy bwhahahaha *coff*

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

well TBH i think the ancients created the goual'd and the wraith as a means to extend there lives and save themselfs from the plague, therefore explaining how the wraith became so big so fast and overwhelmed the ancients, and why both live for so long

that machine on dakara can kill and create life of any sorts, that it is considered the birth place of the goual'd, and its an ancient machine, i would say the ancients created the goual'd,

also you have to think that the puddle jumper was scoured over for months and id say carter would have been the lead science person on the project, sure on atlantis rodney an zalenka were constanty looking at the puddle jumper (that what were shown, just cause its not filmed doesnt mean it didnt happen), checking controls and what have ya, when rodney nearly ascended, he wrote down a lot of stuff about the puddle jumpers, including a hyper drive,

you have to think of it as an invention that has been around for 200 years, then someone comes along and says why not do this to it, and people always think why they never thought of it, thats all the ancient stuff, its all just getting a fresh perspective, and the fact were dumber than the ancients make our simple ideas great, as such an advanced race would never think of the simple method, and think it has to be extremely complicated,

you forget how often everthing went wrong for atlantis and SG-1 when they (and by they, i mean rodney mostly:D) thought they understood what they were doing

don ramo wrote: »
    that machine on dakara can kill and create life of any sorts, that it is considered the birth place of the goual'd, and its an ancient machine, i would say the ancients created the goual'd,

The gouauld original planet where they evolved was not dakara, its a gouauld homeworld normally guarded by a dozen hatak
    don ramo wrote: »

also you have to think that the puddle jumper was scoured over for months and id say carter would have been the lead science person on the project, sure on atlantis rodney an zalenka were constanty looking at the puddle jumper (that what were shown, just cause its not filmed doesnt mean it didnt happen), checking controls and what have ya, when rodney nearly ascended, he wrote down a lot of stuff about the puddle jumpers, including a hyper drive,

sorry - didnt explain myself well. i meant the last ep in season 8 called mobisis based in a alternate timeline where ra took the targat with him when he left earth meaning no stargate program. Carter from that world somehow made a usb-anchient adapter and fixed the puddle jumper....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

User45701 wrote: »
    The gouauld original planet where they evolved was not dakara, its a gouauld homeworld normally guarded by a dozen hatak.

yeah just checked that up, P3X-888 is where the goual'd evolved, but Dakara was where the first jaffa were enslaved, my bad, that machine on dakara could have made the goual'd, but well never know,

User45701 wrote: »
    sorry - didnt explain myself well. i meant the last ep in season 8 called mobisis based in a alternate timeline where ra took the targat with him when he left earth meaning no stargate program. Carter from that world somehow made a usb-anchient adapter and fixed the puddle jumper....

ill have to rewatch it id say, did she make the usb connection or was it there already, maybe they looked over it before going back in time, there hardly gonna waste half an hour showing them examing it,

Didn't they leave instructions on the video the original SG-1 left in Egypt...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

You people have way to much time on your hands :p ]

i think jack o neil would agree with me :cool:

• Advertisement

Well if Jack agrees, then it must be OK! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Isnt the reason humans advanced so quickly in the use of ancient technology because they(at least some) have the ancient gene that lets them use it. The Asgard didnt have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

The ancients could have defeated the Ori and the wraith when they had ascended but chose not to. Wasn't it an ancient's invention that stopped the Ori? I don't watch SGA so I didn't know the wraith were beaten in it.
    It could be argued that the Asgard were trying to understand how ancient technology worked, whereas the humans simply use the technology whatever way they can (which they can do because of that gene).
    It does bug me how those "Dell" laptops were able to patch into anything that came along.

Or another question, if the ancients fled to earth and lived amoungst us then why/how did they evolve without us noticing, surely if you are interbreeding then people would see you have a lot of tech. maybe it was "magic" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the Ancients were way more powerful than the wraith, but the wraith vastly outnumbered the ancients. strange considiring the Wraith only have about 60 hive ships and we've probably seen the taur'i destroy or instigate the destruction of at least 18-20

the Ori were supposedly the evil version of the ancients, and fair enough, we got our asses handed to us at first. but once we got them asguard weapons, killing an Ori ship was basically a duck hunt. i thought the Ori/Ancients tech was superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

the wraith beating the ancients was bull****. superiors number is bollox. they had impenetrable shields, weapons that could cut a hive ship in half with one blast and cloaking technology. the math dont just add up

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I was under the impression the Ancients simply got bored fighting the wraith cause no matter how many they killed, more just kept coming.
    Yeah the laptops working with everything is annoying, I cant get my laptop to connect with my bloody phone nevermind an alien spaceship!!:mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭DanSolo

The "ancient gene" thing is on a par with the "force making bacteria" from Star Wars. The technology required to enhance both of these abilities is almost becoming old hat here on earth right now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

somuj wrote: »
    the wraith beating the ancients was bull****. superiors number is bollox. they had impenetrable shields, weapons that could cut a hive ship in half with one blast and cloaking technology. the math dont just add up

er, not to rain on your parate, but they didn't have impenetrable shields. the only weapon capable of killing a hive ship in one go was the satalite, & we've only seen one of those. superior numbers is crucial when fighting a better foe.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

er, not to rain on your parate, but they didn't have impenetrable shields. the only weapon capable of killing a hive ship in one go was the satalite, & we've only seen one of those. superior numbers is crucial when fighting a better foe.

oh yea I remember that episode now. The one with the wraith flatening the atlantis sheild and seizing the city. Was a really good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

TheKells wrote: »
    Isnt the reason humans advanced so quickly in the use of ancient technology because they(at least some) have the ancient gene that lets them use it. The Asgard didnt have this.

There's that, and the fact that humans have a different perspective on things. the asgaurd got human help fighting the replicators with the JACK O'NEIL they needed a different view on things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement