Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Servers

• 05-03-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have had a quick look on the net and cannot find prices for the like of Vmware.

Has anybody here had any dealing with implementing and costing?

I would be setting up 2-3 servers and we are looking into remoter hosting our applications so that where the virtual server would come in handy.

Thanking you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

You'll probably need to contact an authorised reseller. Try Datapac or PFH, maybe.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

abakan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have had a quick look on the net and cannot find prices for the like of Vmware.

Has anybody here had any dealing with implementing and costing?

I would be setting up 2-3 servers and we are looking into remoter hosting our applications so that where the virtual server would come in handy.

Thanking you

https://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/buyinternational.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

You could try VMWARE ESXi, which costs nothing, and has a lot of the functionality of pure ESX. If you don't have a complex fibre channel SAN, and aren't into cross site disaster recovery then it probably has all the features you need.

If this isn't an option then I would look at either MS or Citrix who both have "good" enough virtualisation solutions that cost nothing, or next to nothing. VMWARE is by far the most expensive option, if moving to the enterprise level of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

good point.
    I thought that was only for evalution and could not be used in business

nothing major on our network, 3 servers max.
    I think it would benefit of a good bit.

Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V might be of interest to you as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Open Source solution:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I think we are going to go with the microsoft version to start off with.

Prices I got for VMware were EUR5100 per 2 processors for the enterprise edition.
    EUR1040 for the standard edition.

Pricey enough!!

The Microsoft way is royalty free and will enable us to run our systems.

Virtualbox was given consideration aswell, but as we run everything Microsoft it made scene to use theirs

I amn't saying that virtualbox is a bad solution but depending on your policies supportability might be an issue with anything that doesn't have a pricetag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I would be loathe to rule out a solution without so much as an evaluation! Certainly there are cases where open source solutions make more sense than proprietary ones; and vice versa, though I've encountered fewer of those personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Use one of the earlier versions of VMware server :D

Here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vmware_server/

I don't like 2.0 TBH but the previous versions are there for download.
    You just need to get a serial (free) from VMware

• Advertisement

One thing you haven't told us yet us what you are trying to achieve with that virualisation. Just a reduction of physical boxes for space or power/cooling reasons? Easier revovery from a disaster?

Also, keep in mind that a lot of people in our industry are competent enough to do basic stuff on a server (with training, supervision and repeated corporal punishment) but I wouldn't let most of the people I have come across near a box that hosts multiple business-critical or business-essential services.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you priced in the additional server licenses needed for the VM's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

VMWare ESX 3i is free, but without the additional functions that Vmotion and Virtual Centre offer then having 2-3 servers wouldnt be much use to you.
    Clustering is by far the handiest thing to have when it comes to VM machines, especially if you are using it in a live rather than a test environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Wait. Sorry I may have misread. 2-3 Virtual Servers or 2-3 Physical ESX boxes?

Advertisement