Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Interest Rates

Options
  • 05-03-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looks like ECB will reduce the main lending rate to 1.5% today. With this in mind do you think it would be a good time to take out a three year (or maybe 5 year) fixed interest rate for a first time buyer? AIB and Bank of I have 1 yr special "fixed" rates for first time buyers which revert back to the variable rate after yr one (whatever it may be at the time).
    I know fixed rates are generally higher but are they better value overall in the current climate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭veryangryman

No no and no.

Things are going to get worse before they get better. ECB hasnt reached its bottom rate just yet - and the banks know it. I regularly get asked to move to fixed from my bank (because my tracker rate is crucifying em :D)

My advice, ask for a variable (assuming they no longer offer trackers). Being the governments b!tch, the banks have an unwritten obligation to keep the variable rates in line or thereabouts.

Wait until ECB reaches zero - THEN maybe move to fixed. Obviously this does not take into account any oil crisis, world war or alien invasion that may disrupt the current market in the meantime. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dovers

ok thanks for that. If the rate does go that low (0%) then the fixed rate will likely be somewhere between 1.5-2.5% (assuming 3 yrs fixed for example) ? Its hard to know whether the eurozone economy will recover significantly in this time frame to a point where the fixed rate would be better than the variable. Whats your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dovers wrote: »
    ok thanks for that. If the rate does go that low (0%) then the fixed rate will likely be somewhere between 1.5-2.5% (assuming 3 yrs fixed for example) ? Its hard to know whether the eurozone economy will recover significantly in this time frame to a point where the fixed rate would be better than the variable. Whats your view?

Thats the €24million Question ! !

The general consensus appears to be a .5% rate cut today (just announced) and probobley a .5% rate cut in the summer.

Its difficult to invisage the rates going anywhere but down in the near future.

Advertisement