Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Use Of Pound Dogs As Art In Ireland

Options
  • 05-03-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

this is a copy of an email sent to me by a dog charity we help out from time to time. Basically they are using stray dogs as a piece showing how we've become a throwaway society.

has fierce echoes of that sick f-r who starved a dog to death for an art exhibition. at least these dogs are to be kept alive but you'd think Ireland would be above this sort of thing and claiming its raising awareness of their plight is rubbish and just a side effect of the exhibition not the goal of it.

Its exploitation of a weak vulnerable animal for their own glorification of how clever they are and i'd imagine also to raise the profile of someone who is hardly the next Dali if he's showing in Drogheda Art Centre (no disrespect to anyone from there)

An exhibition which is currently running in Drogheda Arts Centre
    (DAC) features two pound dogs who are being housed in individual runs
    in the gallery space. The dogs will spend approximately 8 hours a day
    in the gallery and will be moved back to Louth County Pound every
    night for a four week period. During this time the dogs will remain in
    the stewardship of the Louth County Pound. When the exhibition is over
    the dogs will go back into the pound system. No guarantee of survival
    has been provided for the dogs by the artist or pound.

Louth County Pound have attested to the fact that the dogs will be
    fed, watered and walked, as they would be in the pound, during their
    time in the gallery. They also say the exhibition will help to raise
    awareness of the issue of pound dogs. The official theme of the show,
    which is called “If art could save your life”, does not have this
    agenda at its heart however. A description of the artist’s message is
    outlined on DAC’s website;

“…(the work) looks at the organisation of unwanted objects; objects
    which are no longer of value, in this case dogs, exploring how this
    experience might inform our cultural and social value system… the dogs
    which are no longer of value, no longer useful or valuable, have
    reached a point where they might no longer be considered to be
    autonomous or even naturally occurring. The product of a human value
    system, these objects without use are in a sense the waste product of
    man. They have become material which has had its value extracted or to
    use a popular metaphor consumed.” (Availble at
    http://www.droicheadartscentre.com/whats-on/index.php?id=2#e_289)

In my opinion this exhibition objectifies dogs in a way that is
    unacceptable in modern day Ireland. The need for a dog to be taken
    into the pound system is quite simply a tragedy in my mind. To emulate
    the scenario in a gallery setting and invite the public to come and
    look and consider and walk away objectifies the dog and disregards the
    animal’s fundamental right to dignity. I realise that large groups of
    the public in Ireland would laugh at the concept of an animal having a
    right to dignity. I also strongly believe that large and growing
    numbers of individuals would agree with me. Attitudes to animals are
    slowly changing in Ireland. The Lisbon Treaty’s recognition of animals
    a sentient creatures who should not be treated as objects or products
    has gone some way towards driving this positive agenda.

I’m not suggesting censorship. I don’t think the show should be
    closed. The concept of dog pounds, abandonment and straying of dogs is
    a sad reality of life in Ireland and to indirectly highlight the
    situation in an exhibition is not a bad thing. But artists shouldn’t
    be allowed to use dogs as a means to convey their artistic message. In
    this situation why not use an audio visual installation in the gallery
    space of footage taken in Louth County Dog Pound? This will very
    clearly convey the fear, distress, and the tragedy that any person who
    visits a public dog pound in Ireland will witness.

I feel that it is very important for animal welfare organisations in
    Ireland to make a united stand against the use of pound dogs in this
    art exhibition. I am calling on all animal welfare organisations to
    Council, Drogheda Arts Centre and the media with this list of
    organisations. I will also provide them with details from my online
    petition which was set up yesterday and currently has 376 signatures.
    To view the petition and its signatories follow this link;
    http://www.petitiononline.com/justine1/petition.html

I would appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Justine Emoe

PS I am acting as an individual and not on behalf of any one
    organisation.

Statement:

We the undersigned wish to express our strong rejection of the use of
    pound dogs in the current Drogheda Arts Centre exhibition “If art
    could save your life”.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499318
    We generally look back 3 or 4 pages to make sure that we aren't starting new threads unnecessarily. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Skillie wrote: »
    has fierce echoes of that sick f-r who starved a dog to death for an art exhibition.

Actually, that dog was only "exhibited" for a day before it escaped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Have you nothing else to worry about other than people 'objectifying dogs'. Give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Comparing someone cruelly starving an animal to death to an exhibition which does literally NO harm to an animal and in fact seems to bring the animals plight to the publics attention (regardless of what you seem to think the artists intention with the piece.. overreacting much???

An animals "right to dignitity"???? Is it dignified for a dog to roll and play in his own or an other animals crap, when he finds it? no. it isn't. But the dog CHOOSES to do it - because the dog has NO concept of dignity. Dogs love attention though.

What a totally pointless thread.

One final point; you say in that load of rubbish "im not suggesting censorship - i want the piece closed down" - eh closing the piece WOULD be censorship for christs sakes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Well to be honest Ciaran, its total hypocracy. The "artist" is saying that Ireland is a society that throws things away when they are no longer needed even if it is not a thing and infact an animal. Is this not exactly what the "artist" is doing??:confused:
    Kettle, black comes to mind.:rolleyes:

Did you not read this paragraph?

I’m not suggesting censorship. I don’t think the show should be
    closed. The concept of dog pounds, abandonment and straying of dogs is
    a sad reality of life in Ireland and to indirectly highlight the
    situation in an exhibition is not a bad thing. But artists shouldn’t
    be allowed to use dogs as a means to convey their artistic message. In
    this situation why not use an audio visual installation in the gallery
    space of footage taken in Louth County Dog Pound? This will very
    clearly convey the fear, distress, and the tragedy that any person who
    visits a public dog pound in Ireland will witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

jim o doom wrote: »
    It's not a pointless thread. As a dog lover I'm glad the OP brought this up as I hadn't heard about it.

However, I think some good might come from the exhibition in that it might make people think about the dog's plight a bit more rather than less.

As long as the proceeds go to the Dogs and the exhibition is in earnest I don't have too much of a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Actually, that dog was only "exhibited" for a day before it escaped.

according to the director of the gallery. very good source
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Have you nothing else to worry about other than people 'objectifying dogs'. Give me strength.

nope my life is rosey except for this one thing
    Comparing someone cruelly starving an animal to death to an exhibition which does literally NO harm to an animal and in fact seems to bring the animals plight to the publics attention (regardless of what you seem to think the artists intention with the piece.. overreacting much???

An animals "right to dignitity"???? Is it dignified for a dog to roll and play in his own or an other animals crap, when he finds it? no. it isn't. But the dog CHOOSES to do it - because the dog has NO concept of dignity. Dogs love attention though.

animals deserve to be treated by us with dignity not used by some ponce as a way of getting some attention for his pathetic attempt at art. as regard COOSING things what the hells that to do with being put on display as an example of our "couldn't give a toss" culture. the pound may well think its good to highlight it but it ain't the artistic objective of the exhibition

It's not a pointless thread. As a dog lover I'm glad the OP brought this up as I hadn't heard about it.

However, I think some good might come from the exhibition in that it might make people think about the dog's plight a bit more rather than less.

As long as the proceeds go to the Dogs and the exhibition is in earnest I don't have too much of a problem with it.

yeah - but did you not notice there is already a thread (linked in this thread in fact) about this issue; and not only that , the OP in the other thread isn't specifically "bashing" the exhibition for affecting the dogs *dignity* - something which dogs who love playing in poop, have literally no concept of.

Not only that but they want it closed - but apparently closing it would not be censoring it - by closing it.. it would just be closing it. not censoring it because, you know - people HATE for stuff to be censored. jesus.

• Advertisement

animals deserve to be treated by us with dignity not used by some ponce as a way of getting some attention for his pathetic attempt at art. as regard COOSING things what the hells that to do with being put on display as an example of our "couldn't give a toss" culture. the pound may well think its good to highlight it but it ain't the artistic objective of the exhibition

Do you actually have a dog? do you dress him up in a smoking jacket and give him a monocle so he can be dignified?

I mean if you take a dog out - he CRAPS OUTSIDE - that's not dignified - it's just a dog.
    If you take a dog out he sniffs other dogs BUTT holes, correct? Is that dignified? NO.
    Dogs Roll around in the muck - because it's fun, it has nothing to do with "dignity"

Dogs have no concept of dignity. All dogs care about is being loved and having attention and a dog in an art exhibition is going to get a hell of a lot more attention than a dog sitting in a nice cage in a pound.

But I guess what bizarre human ideals you think the dog needs to have forced upon him by the magical PC brigade far outweigh what the dog itself might possibly enjoy (attention).

yeah - but did you not notice there is already a thread (linked in this thread in fact) about this issue; and not only that , the OP in the other thread isn't specifically "bashing" the exhibition for affecting the dogs *dignity* - something which dogs who love playing in poop, have literally no concept of.

Not only that but they want it closed - but apparently closing it would not be censoring it - by closing it.. it would just be closing it. not censoring it because, you know - people HATE for stuff to be censored. jesus.

what a clown. i state at the top of my post its a copy of a mail i was sent by a dog charity, not my words i wrote the first paragraph. do you have any dogs, why are you on a pets board given you seem to have a completely scewed view of dogs and no compassion for them. My dogs strangely enough don't spend their days playing with poo, rolling in it or eating it. if they did they still wouldn't belong in a bloody gallery. I wasn't aware it had already been posted so i'll leave it to the mods to merge or delete with my appologies.

again i'll repeat what a clown.

Do you actually have a dog? do you dress him up in a smoking jacket and give him a monocle so he can be dignified?

I mean if you take a dog out - he CRAPS OUTSIDE - that's not dignified - it's just a dog.
    If you take a dog out he sniffs other dogs BUTT holes, correct? Is that dignified? NO.
    Dogs Roll around in the muck - because it's fun, it has nothing to do with "dignity"

Dogs have no concept of dignity. All dogs care about is being loved and having attention and a dog in an art exhibition is going to get a hell of a lot more attention than a dog sitting in a nice cage in a pound.

But I guess what bizarre human ideals you think the dog needs to have forced upon him by the magical PC brigade far outweigh what the dog itself might possibly enjoy (attention).

CLOWN! treating a dog with dignity doesn't mean humanising him you idiot. i love and respect dogs and strive my hardest to give my dogs whatever THEY NEED. no one is questioning a dogs ability to know what is dignified human behaviour can you not get the concept of treating an animal with dignity doesn't mean they are capable of attending a dinner party and behiving themselves

what a clown. i state at the top of my post its a copy of a mail i was sent by a dog charity, not my words i wrote the first paragraph. do you have any dogs, why are you on a pets board given you seem to have a completely scewed view of dogs and no compassion for them. My dogs strangely enough don't spend their days playing with poo, rolling in it or eating it. if they did they still wouldn't belong in a bloody gallery. I wasn't aware it had already been posted so i'll leave it to the mods to merge or delete with my appologies.

again i'll repeat what a clown.

Call me a clown all you want - it just makes any arguments you make look weak as you have to resort to "name calling". Fine by me - although your OP looked pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Does your dog not sniff other dogs assholes then? or did you just choose to ignore that point and every other point I made?
    I've actually seen my dog wander into the house and eat cat poo out of the kitty litter - disgusting alright but hell I'm not gonna shout at him for it.

As to any point about dignity, why force it on something that has no understanding of it? the dog is probably happier getting attention - something you also chose to ignore in my post.

Also when a "pound dog" is in public display; like the several "pound dogs" that were displayed at the Pet Show in the RDS late last year; that dog is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to get rehomed - people see the dog and empathise.
    Now that may not be the AIM of the exhibition - but if it is a result, then what is the problem?

Also when a "pound dog" is in public display; like the several "pound dogs" that were displayed at the Pet Show in the RDS late last year; that dog is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to get rehomed - people see the dog and empathise.
    Now that may not be the AIM of the exhibition - but if it is a result, then what is the problem?

If the "artist" had promised that the dogs he used would not be put back into the pound then I probably wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. At least then the dogs would definitely be getting a home at the end of the "exhibition" but unfortunately that was not the case.

Call me a clown all you want - it just makes any arguments you make look weak as you have to resort to "name calling". Fine by me - although your OP looked pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Does your dog not sniff other dogs assholes then? or did you just choose to ignore that point and every other point I made?
    I've actually seen my dog wander into the house and eat cat poo out of the kitty litter - disgusting alright but hell I'm not gonna shout at him for it.

As to any point about dignity, why force it on something that has no understanding of it? the dog is probably happier getting attention - something you also chose to ignore in my post.

ok lets try reading my post slowly this time.

I'm not saying dogs act with human dignity. WITH ME SO FAR? But we as the superior beings (note the sarcasim now) should be able to treat them with dignity.

I realise you may be a little tired now after trying to absorb the concept of that statement and no doubt you may still have questions and problems so feel free to revert so i can repeat it again for you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Skillie--Infracted for personal attacks on another poster.Name calling is against the rules.
    Next time its a ban.

If the "artist" had promised that the dogs he used would not be put back into the pound then I probably wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. At least then the dogs would definitely be getting a home at the end of the "exhibition" but unfortunately that was not the case.

Read the end of my last post. ANY dog - pound dog that is - displayed in public - especially in a manner which highlights their plight; such as the dogs from the SPCA in the Pet show in the RDS last year - are far more likely to get rehomed.

The old adage "out of sigh out of mind" is particularily apt. People see the dogs "displayed" and empathise with their plight, because the SEE the dog and understand the issue a lot more - because the don't visit pounds.

Now if the result is more dogs getting rehomed - regardless of the "point" of the exhibition - then what's the problem? the dog doesn't care he is being displayed - only over reacting mad dog lovers do. And if there is a far higher chance he will be rehomed due to being displayed.. well *Gasp* he doesn't mind being displayed AND he might get a home.

Clearly this is a bad idea, shut it all down. /sarcasm

ok lets try reading my post slowly this time.

I'm not saying dogs act with human dignity. WITH ME SO FAR? But we as the superior beings (note the sarcasim now) should be able to treat them with dignity.

I realise you may be a little tired now after trying to absorb the concept of that statement and no doubt you may still have questions and problems so feel free to revert so i can repeat it again for you

And if you notice in my recent posts - the dog DOESNT CARE about dignity, correct? so why FORCE it on the dog? Dogs LIKE attention. Dogs in public view GET ATTENTION. they LIKE that.. with me so far?

Also - the increased liklihood of being rehomed, which I have now mentioned about three times, due to being in the public eye. but no - it's undignified to be rehomed due to having been in an exhibition - so LEAVE him in the pound, much more dignified in there.

Read the end of my last post. ANY dog - pound dog that is - displayed in public - especially in a manner which highlights their plight; such as the dogs from the SPCA in the Pet show in the RDS last year - are far more likely to get rehomed.

The old adage "out of sigh out of mind" is particularily apt. People see the dogs "displayed" and empathise with their plight, because the SEE the dog and understand the issue a lot more - because the don't visit pounds.

Now if the result is more dogs getting rehomed - regardless of the "point" of the exhibition - then what's the problem? the dog doesn't care he is being displayed - only over reacting mad dog lovers do. And if there is a far higher chance he will be rehomed due to being displayed.. well *Gasp* he doesn't mind being displayed AND he might get a home.

Clearly this is a bad idea, shut it all down. /sarcasm

I just think the "artist" should have guaranteed not to put these dogs back to the pound. Thats all. He is getting a lot of exposure from using them so I think its the least he could do. What if nobody takes them and they are put back in the pound and are PTS in a few days?

• Advertisement

I put this thread up to allow people who wanted to sign the petition to do so. I don't fancy arguing with strangers back and forth all day on my right to disagree with something. You're entitled to your opinion even if i don't agree with it.

So guys if ye are unhappy with this situation sign the petition if not thats fine.

have a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

From what I heard, the two dogs chosen were ones who like human company, sociable dogs. They will be enjoying it! Certainly getting more attention than the other pound dogs.

Lets face it, these display dogs will be offered homes because of this and hopefully many more besides. Anything that brings the plight of poundies to the front of peoples minds has to be a good thing. They are being fed, watered, walked etc. I would suggest people who are annoyed about this find something more important to worry about. Like the thousands of dogs PTS every year in this country.

From what I heard, the two dogs chosen were ones who like human company, sociable dogs. They will be enjoying it! Certainly getting more attention than the other pound dogs.

Lets face it, these display dogs will be offered homes because of this and hopefully many more besides. Anything that brings the plight of poundies to the front of peoples minds has to be a good thing. They are being fed, watered, walked etc. I would suggest people who are annoyed about this find something more important to worry about. Like the thousands of dogs PTS every year in this country.

It's good to see someone understands the situation. The dogs will enjoy themselves (more fun than a cage) and dogs in the public eye get rehomed a lot more than those who are not. It's like a petition to ensure the dogs are taken from the public eye for dignitity regardless of whether or not it means they are going to remain in the pound and ultimately be put down.

Dignity is the last thing that should be worried about, the dogs lives on the other hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

according to the director of the gallery. very good source

You say; "dog was starved to death"
    Director says; "dog escaped after a day"

but you're the better source?

You said the dog was killed when nobody actually knows what happened to the dog.

I just think the "artist" should have guaranteed not to put these dogs back to the pound. Thats all. He is getting a lot of exposure from using them so I think its the least he could do. What if nobody takes them and they are put back in the pound and are PTS in a few days?

Well, Jim?

Well, Jim?

Whoops sorry - didn't realise you were expecting a response!

Well - I understand you say there should be some sort of thing to ensure the dogs are home afterwards - but the simple fact is that there doesnt need to be..

Also - the dogs are most likely going to ENJOY the experience - as another poster said, the article mentioned dogs were picked that enjoy people & company! Do you honestly think the time spent in the "exhibit" is going to be worse than time spent in a cage in a pound?
    Of course it's not - there's people there looking at the dogs, probably attempting to interact with the dogs - that's what dogs love.

Sure - the dogs might NOT get rehomed - which would be sad and a tragedy - but that doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy time at the artists exhibit - sure even if those dogs themselves are not rehomed - the exhibit may encourage people to rehome OTHER dogs!

I mean you are beasically saying "WHAT IF" the dogs don't get rehomed - that's not the point - the exhibit doesn't affect the dogs in a negative manner - they will most likely have fun & to top it off they might get rehomed as well - is that not better than being cooped up in a pound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

It would be more impressive if some of the money earned from all this was to go to animal welfare? ( If I have missed that it is, apologies)

This also is part of a new "fashion"; using "live" exhibits. I think it was in Manchester they asked for a 'human" to live as a hermit in a tower. Some art or history stunt.

And it is a stunt, surely.

Humans can choose, however.

sorella wrote: »
    It would be more impressive if some of the money earned from all this was to go to animal welfare? ( If I have missed that it is, apologies)

This also is part of a new "fashion"; using "live" exhibits. I think it was in Manchester they asked for a 'human" to live as a hermit in a tower. Some art or history stunt.

And it is a stunt, surely.

Humans can choose, however.

yes they can - but the question is.. "What harm is it doing the dog?".

The answer is NONE. Dogs in my experience, enjoy interacting with people - and that is what they will be doing in an art "stunt". It's better than sitting in a cage in a pound.

Come on people, crusade for the dogs dignitity.. I know he LOOKS like he's enjoying himself, but really; he's dying inside.. thinking - oh the ignomy of being forced from my cage to parade in front of all these people - whom admittedly I like..

It's an unbelievably freakingly stupid thing to be starting a petition about. All starting a petition will do is, guess what; create MORE publicity for the stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Much ado about nothing.

From the petition itself >>>>

I RETRACT MY SIGNATURE. These dogs are well cared for, their cages are huge, and its meant to inspire people to keep their dogs and not send them to the pound. The dogs in this exhibition are also up for adoption. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THIS PETITION!

Looks like a few of the animal lovers synapses are back working again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

If you cannot see that then trying to tell you is fuitile. The harm, I mean

Which is why Irish dogs have such a bad life - in general, there being so many great owners here on boards.

yes they can - but the question is.. "What harm is it doing the dog?".

The answer is NONE. Dogs in my experience, enjoy interacting with people - and that is what they will be doing in an art "stunt". It's better than sitting in a cage in a pound.

Come on people, crusade for the dogs dignitity.. I know he LOOKS like he's enjoying himself, but really; he's dying inside.. thinking - oh the ignomy of being forced from my cage to parade in front of all these people - whom admittedly I like..

It's an unbelievably freakingly stupid thing to be starting a petition about. All starting a petition will do is, guess what; create MORE publicity for the stunt.

Advertisement