Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sky Sports Generation

• 05-03-2009 12:03pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We were talking about this in another thread maybe it could do with its own dedacated one.

They do my head in.

According to them football only started in 1992 when sky won the contract.They are the same lads who shoot 'who are,yea' & 'easy,easy,easy'.

I would like to add Irish lads who go to premiership games in GAA tops or with Celtic/Liverpool/Man Utd scarfs,or the ones who bring a tricolor.Why,just why..?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    If a lad is going to a Premiership game in a gah top, the only reason is so their mates can recognise themselves on d'telly down the local.

Why shouldn't they wear a ManU/Pool/Celtic scarf if they are going to see that team

Ireland flags is cringeworthy too, worse than that are tricolours with

a. faces of players on them
    b. "slogans" on them
    c. names of pubs on them
    d. the crest of an english club on them

Total **** these lads.

I meant to say those half and half scarfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where are my posts gone from the other thread :eek:

Where are my posts gone from the other thread :eek:

I messed up merging them.

ok so.
    me wrote:
    The Sky Sports Generation are imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Out of interest, who thinks football only started in 1992? I have yet to meet such a person!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I will never ever understand half and half scarfs, unless you are going to a game as a neutral, in which case it makes some little sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

But but... this was the most interesting topic that the Liverpool thread has had for months!

gimmick wrote: »
    Out of interest, who thinks football only started in 1992? I have yet to meet such a person!!!

You have never met a person who says Liverpool have never won the Premiership as if football only began in 92.The premiership was a name change and a reduction in teams IIRC thats all its not a new competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Was at a wimbledon game in the 80s, freezin cold evnin, everyone wearing gloves, wooly hats etc. Then we spotted one lad on his own with just the mayo 'gah' jersey on. It looked like he was on his own, and he had that 'its fresh out dis evnin lads", expression on his face. Not a care in the world lol. We always wondered to this day why he was there in the jersey, so much so that we discussed it for hours on the journey back in the car.

The popular vote went to, he got losht on a shtag doo :D

Dub13 wrote: »
    You have never met a person who says Liverpool have never won the Premiership as if football only began in 92.The premiership was a name change and a reduction in teams IIRC thats all its not a new competition.

^ Ah, fair point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Saw a tricolour at an Ireland game with CHELSEA FC writ large across it once, the mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Trampas

kids are great for soccer only started when Sky came about.

Been a Liverpool fan they would slag you when you have your jersey on you would point out that Liverpool is the most successful club in English soccer.

They would reply with how many premiership titles have you won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We were talking about this in another thread maybe it could do with its own dedacated one.

They do my head in.

According to them football only started in 1992 when sky won the contract.They are the same lads who shoot 'who are,yea' & 'easy,easy,easy'.

I would like to add Irish lads who go to premiership games in GAA tops or with Celtic/Liverpool/Man Utd scarfs,or the ones who bring a tricolor.Why,just why..?

Average age of a poster in the soccer forum 21?

Average Age when the premiership started 3/4.

Is this one of those I remember when teams played naked for 5 hours kicking a rock around style rants or are you just bitter that you are old?

Things evolve, I'm happy I don't have to don bare skin and hunt a wolly mammoth for supper.

Meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There was some good in the 'revolution' as you had so little televised football before Sky. Also, some of the boozy afternoons watching matches over the last 15 years have been very enjoyable.

Good points; however, the bad points have been horrendous: the boot has been put even further into local football although the decline in attendance was well in motion before Sky appeared; the concentration of money in the top teams, and the sheer annoyance of some of the Sky generation -they can discuss the bizarre minutiae of English football trivia and culture until the cows come home, but they have no experience of what it's like to actually go to a game.

Here is one of the worst examples of this,a mate took this pic back at the Liverpool Wigan in August.If this is you then all I have to say is you are a tool.

2rctkm1.jpg

Boggles wrote: »
    Average age of a poster in the soccer forum 21?

Average Age when the premiership started 3/4.

Is this one of those I remember when teams played naked for 5 hours kicking a rock around style rants or are you just bitter that you are old?

Things evolve, I'm happy I don't have to don bare skin and hunt a wolly mammoth for supper.

Meh...
    I think the point is that these lads are unaware that football is 150 years old, and has history and traditions that run deep; not that football is better or worse at this point in time.

Which is maybe why you get support for the likes of European superleagues and all-star games on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jesus Christ lads - way to be self-satisfied about the year you were born in.

Some people on this forum make me absolutely facepalm tbh...

This is easily the most retarded thread I've come across in the Soccer forum, and that includes the "Alex Ferguson is a shít manager thread"

ffs

Here is one of the worst examples for this,a mate took this pic back at the Liverpool Wigan in August.If this is you then all I have to say is you are a tool.

2rctkm1.jpg

What's weird about this is that the people that do it are often really patriotic too. Yet they are perfectly happy to subsume their Irish/Dublin identity as some sort of a pseudo, nursery-region of England.

Here is one of the worst examples for this,a mate took this pic back at the Liverpool Wigan in August.If this is you then all I have to say is you are a tool.

2rctkm1.jpg
    Thats just....unbelievable

And you think this guy who is clearly middle aged is from the "sky sports generation"?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads - way to be self-satisfied about the year you were born in.

It's nothing to do with the year someone was born in tbh.

It's a thread pointing out all the absolute "facepalm" things you see at games.

Including that arsehole with his "Up the Dubs" on a Cork gah jersey there.

And you think this guy who is clearly middle aged is from the "sky sports generation"?

He bought the overpriced jersey made by a 5 year old in China, he can write what the fúck he wants on it as far as I am concerned, also he is at the match so he is nowhere near the overpriced sky subscription.

I don't see a point to this thread either.

It's nothing to do with the year someone was born in tbh.

It's a thread pointing out all the absolute "facepalm" things you see at games.

Including that arsehole with his "Up the Dubs" on a Cork gah jersey there.
    I thought that was a Liverpool jersey

"generation" here isn't an age thing.

It's about the muppets who buy into the "hype" of the whole thing.

And go and act the clown at football matches.

Colourful afro wigs.

Teddy Bear costumes.

Leprechaun suits.

Inflatable Bananas (wtf :confused:)

Arseholes, basically.

CiaranC wrote: »
    I thought that was a Liverpool jersey

:pac:

It is.

Thought inflatable bananas were now considered racist by the PC brigade and banned from grounds?

Teddy Bear costumes.

WTF???

Its a thread about some Irish people having strange tendencies (thats putting it very mildly) when going to games.If you don't think its a valid thread fine don't post in it.

I don't see a point to this thread either.

Surely you can see the humour in grown men that travel to England to watch football who feel the need to excessively proclaim their Irishness to all and sundry, but have probably never set foot in an Irish football ground in their lives.

Another Sky tradition: fools turning up to the pub to cheer on teams who play their rivals. I have actually seen EPL fans turn up in European club jerseys expressly for this purpose. Some of this 'banter' would make a grown man fucking weep.

• Advertisement

Colourful afro wigs.

Teddy Bear costumes.

Leprechaun suits.

Arseholes, basically.

Well why isn't this thread called "Retarded Soccer Fans" so?

I'm sorry, but in English, the word generation has an age connotation. You and others using it in this way is terribly fcuking irritating - I was born in the mid 80's. I enjoy soccer. I also like GAA. I watch soccer mostly on Sky Sports.

That does not make me a retard with an inflatable banana.

Like I said, some people on this forum are so far up their own arses I'm not surprised they can't see the distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Just thank god you're not part of the Setanta generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Colourful afro wigs.

Teddy Bear costumes.

Leprechaun suits.

Arseholes, basically.
    At least all that sounds a bit lively. Was at Tolka Park last year for the Dundalk V Shels match and there was barely a peep out of your lot for the entire match! Pigheads been to livelier funerals. Thank God for the Dundalk noisemakers!

stovelid wrote: »
    Surely you can see the humour in grown men that travel to England to watch football who feel the need to excessively proclaim their Irishness to all and sundry, but have probably never set foot in an Irish football ground in their lives.

Another Sky tradition: fools turning up to the pub to cheer on teams who play their rivals. I have actually seen EPL fans turn up in European club jerseys expressly for this purpose. Some of

How is any of this stuff even remotely connected to the Sky Sports tv channel?

Its a thread about some Irish people having strange tendencies (thats putting it very mildly) when going to games.If you don't think its a valid thread fine don't post in it.

Well your title and opening are kind of confusing Dub.

That does not make me a retard with an inflatable banana.

:D:D:D:D LOL

Fúckíng Hell, tips on getting Coffee off a keyboard please?

• Advertisement

I guess the OP meant that this tendency is far more pronounced in the Sky Generation - that is, football support since 1993. You certainly see far more of the stuff we're talking about in the last 15 years or so. I mean fans of all age groups too.

The 'Sky Sports Generation' refers to people who became interested in football primarily due to Television (in particular the likes of Sky Sports) marketing it as an entertainment product, and who are unaware of the traditions and norms of normal football fans. This thread is about those people and their antics.

Is that difficult to understand?

I don't understand people who wear jersies to the pub to watch their team on the telly.

I similarly do not understand people who get themselves worked up into a frenzy because theior team are playing their local rivals ie Man U fans when playing Man City. Do they actually hate Man City, or is it because they think because they are Man U fans they should hate Man City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

But Liverpool have never won the Premier league?

And it wasn't just a name change, I'll admit a major part of it was re-Branding, and it was very successful in that,

But it was also the formation of a new body,and a 'break away' group from the football league.

stovelid wrote: »
    I guess the OP meant that this tendency is far more pronounced in the Sky Generation - that is, football support since 1993. You certainly see far more of the stuff we're talking about in the last 15 years or so. I mean fans of all age groups too.

I don't know, football fans have always had a great sense of humour, great chants and great banter.

That Kid with the Massive Fellani wig at the Toffees match last week made me chuckle.

A redneck in a Mayo Jersey at a QPR match may be a bit odd, does it bother me that much? Nah.

Part of the premiership remit was to make stadiums more friendly, I'd take all the bananas and wigs in the world before I would go back to crowd trouble and dozens been stamped to death, I think most would.

I watched footage of that Bradford fire the other day, no fúckíng thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The 'Sky Sports Generation' refers to people who became interested in football primarily due to Television (in particular the likes of Sky Sports) marketing it as an entertainment product, and who are unaware of the traditions and norms of normal football fans. This thread is about those people and their antics.

But football is entertainment? (Unless you're a Liverpool fan obviously). What's wrong with marketing a form of entertainment as an entertainment product. I think people get way too worked up over Sky. Of course they're over the top. Big deal. Bottom line is there is plenty more football to be watched these days and it is presented in a professional and slick manner. Wheres the problem?

Pighead wrote: »
    But football is entertainment? (Unless you're a Liverpool fan obviously)

:D

What is difficult to understand is why the antics of people who go to games in the flesh (as opposed to watching them on sky fcuking sports) has led to a branding of all people born after 1980 as some sort of second-class soccer fans.

Also the fact is that a lot of these people haven't proved, at least to me, any great expertise or reason to be so puffed up with themselves beyond having be born before me. Fair play to those guys - I'm probably just bitter that I can't get into their club.

I'd take all the bananas and wigs in the world before I would go back to crowd trouble and dozens been stamped to death, I think most would.

But they're the real fans Boggles - violence and thuggery and all that is part of a sacred tradition.

The likes of you and I are only tv watching cretins.

We should be ashamed of ourselves for being so entertained by the actual match that we don't feel the need to wreck the place or kick somebody's head in.

Pighead wrote: »
    But football is entertainment? (Unless you're a Liverpool fan obviously). What's wrong with marketing a form of entertainment as an entertainment product. I think people get way too worked up over Sky. Of course they're over the top. Big deal. Bottom line is there is plenty more football to be watched these days and it is presented in a professional and slick manner. Wheres the problem?
    When I say 'football as entertainment', I really mean 'football as television entertainment'. You dont have to look too hard around here to find football 'fans' whose only connection to 'their' club is through the TV.

Ive no problem with people watching football in another country on TV, its when that replaces actually being football fans and supporting football root and branch outside TV-based superclubs that the problem arises. The LOI being a prime example, lower leagues in England being another.

I'd say you love the new slogan for the Loi do you? it is just there to please people like yourself, who think they are different from other football fans, as you put it yourself 'normal football fans'

The fact is most clubs if not all football clubs make more money from TV rights than they do from people attending the game. I'm sure whatever Irish club you support yourself hate it when Rte say they want to show a European fixture of theirs on the Tv? I don't think so.

Football is a game, it can be played or watched. It doesn't matter what level you play it as long as you enjoy it. The same goes for watching it, as long as you enjoy it and get from it what you want it doesn't matter what route you go down. It is all real, and nobody should think they are better or worse than anyone else because of how they choose to enjoy football.

What is difficult to understand is why the antics of people who go to games in the flesh (as opposed to watching them on sky fcuking sports) has led to a branding of all people born after 1980 as some sort of second-class soccer fans.

Also the fact is that a lot of these people haven't proved, at least to me, any great expertise or reason to be so puffed up with themselves beyond having be born before me. Fair play to those guys - I'm probably just bitter that I can't get into their club.
    :rolleyes:

You seem incapable of understanding that it has nothing to do with when you were born.

:rolleyes:

You seem incapable of understanding that it has nothing to do with when you were born.

may i add or where you were born either.

The fact is most clubs if not all football clubs make more money from TV rights than they do from people attending the game.
    wtf? What planet are you living on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Cultural snobbery/bitterness is at play here. Makes me want to bring a tri colour with AVFC TIL I DIE to VP for the Spurs game tbh.

What business is it of yours what people wear to games or to the pub?why does it offend your precious sensibilities LoI militants? similarly why does it irk you so that people get excited for derby games etc? if they do or don't its the fact you take time to point it out on a message board-repeatedly- perhaps highlights more about your state of mind then these peoples taste in clothing.

As for Pool, you forget for most young people, Pools glory years were before their time Dub13, their dominance of the late 1970s/early 1980s may as well be Wolves in the 1950s or Huddersfield in the late 1920s for it all means to the yoof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement